If you ran Gretsch..

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Electromatic Billy Bo, with the color, pickup and hardware mix & match suggestion mentioned earlier. A choice of colors, Dynas or Filters, and G- cutout tailpiece or Bigsby would be awesome!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

Ya know, that's not a bad idea. Other companies are making money recreating Valco style amps. Rather than the pseudo-retro styling and Fenderish or Voxish circuitry of the Victoria amps, go all-in with the old gray flecked livery and Valco circuits with maybe an upgrade here and there. I think there could actually be a market for that.

Teledriver and RomanS like this.
  3. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I wanna hear what Joe Carducci has to say.... since he does work for Gretsch... haha.... what would he do if he staged a coup!?

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I would agree with Gretsch making replacement parts and their full line of pickups - including the Super Hilotron - available for purchase. It's just too frustrating having to scour the net for a used part or pickup.

5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That and put the BT65 broad tron pick ups available for sale.

6. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I think they’re called Guild? ;):D

7. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    I would ban tension bar Bigsbys and V-shaped tailpieces, offer more options with Dynasonics or Hilotrons at all price levels, bring out some acoustic archtops based on vintage models, and most importantly, introduce a couple of models with nice FAT necks.

BCRatRod73 and BuddyHollywood like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've met Joe a few times, and had some really great chats. Nicest guy you could ever want to meet.

If I was"King," the first thing that I would do is spend time with Joe and get his perspectives on the "lay of the land" and ask him what he would really like to do for the Gretsch brand today.

Seriously, I would love to be able to work with and for Joe.

Couldn't ever be his boss.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  9. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    FIRSTLY, I would start by learning as much as possible about working conditions and wages in Indonesian and Chinese guitar factories. The second thing I would do would depend on what the results of the first.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Clubby necks, fat clubby necks for everyone!

11. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    This was my exact thoughts when Elon unveiled the Cybertruck.

Tadhg and drmilktruck like this.
  12. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    Custom Shop -
    • Made in USA
    • 2 tiers of Custom Shop - Custom Line and Standard Line
    • Custom Line - Fully custom including pickups of any brand, wood selection, finish selection and hide glue option made by Stephen Stern and his crew
    • Standard Line - Similar to MIJ Pro-line guitars but made in the USA at the Corona Factory alongside Fender guitars at a significant upcharge compared to MIJ guitars
    Pro-lines -
    • Made in Japan
    • All Pro-line models finished in relatively thin nitro or natural traditional Japanese urushi with no poly undercoat
    • Offer your choice of HS Filtertrons, Fulltrons, Dynasonics or HiLotrons on every model
    • Offer 2 neck sizes for every model similar to Gibson's 50s or 60s profile. The thinner profile could be the "Duane Eddy profile"
    • Rewind Gretsch Dynasonics for a hotter bridge and a lower neck output and also perform tweaks on every pickup line so all guitars are balanced and ready to play immediately
    • 1 meg CTS pots
    • Tru-Arc Serpentune standard on all guitars with a floating bridge base with option to choose bridge material
    • Bone or brass nut standard
    • Bigsby or G Tailpiece options only
    • Produce a Pro-line version of a 5422 called a 6422.
    Electromatics -
    • Made in South Korea or Mexico at the Ensenada Factory
    • All Electromatic models finished in relatively thin poly finish
    • Offer your choice of HS Filtertrons, Fulltrons, Dynasonics or HiLotrons on every model. Other companies offer their best pickups on every line.
    • Make the pickup spacing the same as the Pro-line guitars
    • Players Edition series becomes Electromatic still keeping the Pro-line model numbers similar to Fender Player Series
    • Offer 1 standard medium neck size
    • 1 meg CTS pots
    • Highest level, non buzzing Gotoh Adjustomatic bridge standard on floating or secure bridges
    • Bone nut standard
    • Licensed Bigsby or G Tailpiece options only
    Streamliners -
    • No immediate change

13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    +1 Vote for the Starfire II St. Great thinline hollowbody. I like mine a lot.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Good news! Hipshot sells these buttons for $2.20 a piece. They call them "Deco buttons." They don't officially guarantee that they'll fit on other tuners, but the Sport Hitech store says that they fit Grover tuners.

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/guitar-tuner-buttons?variant=43354941064

I have a set of Hipshot locking tuners with these buttons on my 5620, and I love them.

15. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    YES!!! AGREE 100%!!

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  16. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I would like to revise my previous ideas without editing my previous post. This is a fun thread and it got me thinking even more about the Electromatic line. What if the Players Edition guitars take over the whole Electromatic line instead of being just a part of it? For example, the Players Edition 6120 would take the place of the 5420, The Players Series Jets would take over the Pro Jets and so on. It would really simplify the Gretsch catalog of guitars and provide pro level guitars at a working musician's price. I believe pricing the Electromatics with a street price of around $1,000 with all of these upgrades would establish them as legitimate recording and performing player's guitars. The Electromatics are already built really well, feel and play amazing and sound great. They could be the standard Gretsch line for gigging musicians.

17. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you ever see Joe and me playing guitar side by side, you'll know very quickly which one of us really is Lacking Talent.

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve hear Joe play. He’s no slouch.

Dave Murray and BuddyHollywood like this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I would cease all production except for the Terada factory builds, eliminate all gold hardware and bigsby condoms. Oh and start a Poison Ivy production model 6120jr as well the Darrel Higham orange falcon and the Chris Chaney model nashville sized falcon. Simple things, you know. :)

Stefan87, drmilktruck, RomanS and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.