If you ran Gretsch..

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    First Thing.
    While it would be easier to change my name to Gretsch:
    Change the Company Name.

Second Thing.
    Create an iconic image & naming structure.

Third Thing.
    Revisit a new look for a special run of the white penguin.
    They sound great, but I always wonder if they come with Elvis’ white jumpsuit.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  2. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    But in a scale to fit a ruggedized iPad case.
    Seen Bo play that guitar up close. I’d probably hurt muself on the corners.

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    I'd put that guy Jack Plate in charge of production!

section2, T-Bawler, Stefan87 and 5 others like this.
  4. Tomcat

Tomcat Electromatic

Jun 20, 2020
    NC
    Do away with poly finishes ,and go all nitro.

5. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul Electromatic

Sep 18, 2020
    New York
    I’d make Falcon V headstock standard! :p

T-Bawler, Tadhg and Trash Kidd like this.
  6. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Release the Electromatic Billy-Bo!

Teledriver, Tadhg and aFriendbFrosty like this.
  7. Joe Hi-LoTron

Joe Hi-LoTron Electromatic

May 19, 2010
    US
    Stop making Gibson copies with Gretsch names on them. Practically every version of every model has Gibson features. Return to the standards of Brooklyn.

Adding another 60s Chet Atkins Nashville to the herd, next year searching for 60s Chet Tennessean. The real deal

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    #5 for sure!

section2 likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m with you.

Guitar companies have to sell guitars the market wants, or risk going out of business. They also need to be able to manufacture their products efficiently.

If I ran Gretsch and molded their product line to my tastes, chances are very good that sales would plummet. My tastes are simply not aligned with much of the market.

If I could have any Gretsch, it would be a 6120 DC with trestle bracing, no mute, the bridge pickup closer to the bridge and DuoTrons. I would want flamed maple with a transparent burgundy finish as a first choice or flamed maple with transparent orange as a second choice.

As far as business suggestions for Gretsch, I would agree that an online parts store would be nice. Beyond that, I hope that Gretsch doesn’t throw out the baby with the bath water, with regard to keeping the line relevant, but also maintaining continuity with their legacy products. At this time, I think that they are doing this quite well.

Also, I appreciate that the hard tail Duo Jet has taken this platform to a new market. I could see it as a very viable alternative to a Les Paul. Likewise, while I’m not a likely customer, the Broadtron significantly broadens the appeal of the Gretsch lineup.

There are certainly products I would love to see back in the lineup, but the health of the company is much more important than nostalgia. One thing I appreciate about a Gretsch is that they avoid meaningless product distinctions. They could apply a legacy product name to a low priced current product, but such superficial product meaning is beneath the dignity of the brand.

mrfixitmi, section2, T-Bawler and 6 others like this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Juniors. But really maybe they don't sell and that's not a good idea.

I know what I like, and have no idea how to run a music company. I actually prefer buying Gretsches than trying to sell them. Just like I prefer listening to and playing music for fun rather than trying to make a career of it.

section2, Tadhg and drmilktruck like this.
  11. Daktari9

Daktari9 Gretschie

Dec 17, 2010
    Australia
    Get some new Gretsch Amp line hand wired models going and new pro Sparkle jets in new colours with ray butts and block inlays

12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Would we love Gretsch guitars as much if they were as dominant as Stratocasters and Les Pauls (for example)? I don't know but I kind of feel that the uniqueness of Gretsch is part of the appeal - unique tone, relatively less common, retro styling etc. So if I were king at Gretsch, I'd make sure we had a solid plan to keep it strong without getting too popular. That might be harder than trying to dominate.

BCRatRod73, new6659, T-Bawler and 2 others like this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    If guitar enthusiasts ran guitar companies:

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'd make sure that every bridge had the same radius as the neck. I wouldn't send out a $4000 guitar with a radius mis-match.

15. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    How..? The only way I can think of doing it would be to have the Electromatic bodies with full spec electronics/pickups and US Bigsbys..? Basically, build pre-customised Electromatics (excluding bridge changes, given people do bridge changes on Prolines)?
    As it stands, as @afire says, Electromatic is the middle level between Proline and Streamliner. Though I can see your point that the gap between Electromatic and Proline isn't small, especially compared to the gap between Streamliner and Electromatic. Although perhaps the percentage differences aren't that different?

16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    This an example of a small easily fixable problem at little cost, so why haven't they done that?

section2, T-Bawler and Gretschtim1 like this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Good question. I love the feel of the bar bridge on my Gent but the radius is seriously wrong. It would be a much better guitar with that fixed. I've contacted Gretsch about this and never got a reply. With a guitar that costs that much I shouldn't have to spend any money to correct a factory fault. Even my cheapest guitars have bridges with the correct radius. This problem with Gretsch is unacceptable and it goes on and on with no fix.

18. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I would bring back the G6114, but only in the amber finish. I'd eliminate the two pickup volumes and have only one master tone and master volume. I'd add locking tuners and call it the Pete Marinovich signature model. Then I'd sell it in the US for $48.99. However, in Third World countries, I would give them away for free (along with a Mono strap, 15 watt Cube amp, and 5 packs of Elixir 10s) to every guitar player under the age of 18 who could demonstrate the ability to play House of the Rising Son. And I'd pay for it by......oh, hell, you guys can figure that part out. :)

19. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Yeah, that's a good question. I guess I was thinking pro-line designs more or less, but made in South Korea. Pro-line pickup spacing, un-pinned bridges, HS Filters and Dynas, just made in the Electromatic factories and at a cost somewhere in between Electromatic and Pro Line. Probably not with some of the fancier design options

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Precisely. Botch you’re market research and you will get something that makes the Edsel look fashionable.

This is one I don’t understand either. The only explanation is that they are buying off the shelf parts and using what they have on hand.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.