If you got a stimulus check, did you buy a guitar?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Apr 13, 2021.

1. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Not boring, now I'm curious. What'd you score? I haven't acquired much new hardware lately, just occasionally fine-tuning the setup on my Windham....

-m

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Isn't that what the check was for? I mean, come on man.....:D

3. No, refused to buy a guitar. Though I had a list of candidates.

It will go back when the tax bill comes due, making me a poor choice to give stimulus to. I agonized over donating a big chunk to some entity which helps people truly in need, but failed in the end, to do so.

Not a sexy answer. However, true.

mrfixitmi and Brian Krashpad like this.
  4. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    S.O.B's never sent me anything.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Me either, though maybe doesn't apply if you live in the UK. ;)

Does everyone in USA get this payment then? I suppose you end up paying for it in the end, somehow though...

6. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    There is an income cut-off. Those doing particularly well, financially, did not get checks. Otherwise, so far as I know, everyone under the cut-off did get checks (with the obvious exception for errors in the system).

mrfixitmi and KelvinS1965 like this.
  7. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I did get a small refund, not the stimulus payment, but that pretty much went towards property taxes later. I have enough mad money in savings for a new guitar, but feel like I don’t really need one, and should just focus more on practicing and learning new material with the guitars that I haven’t played in a while anyway. Maybe do some recording at home since there is not any opportunity to perform right now.

LongJohn and mrfixitmi like this.
  8. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I said from the beginning, it's got to come from somewhere.

-m

mrfixitmi and KelvinS1965 like this.
  9. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    I paid off some Zzounds play as you pay acquisition bills, and incurred a new contract for a PRS SE Standard hollowbody--100% Mahogany, Rosewood fretboard, Cherry Burst finish; about the same size and weight as my Gretsch G2655, with somewhat better acoustic resonance, though not as good as my rather larger G5410 Rat Rod.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Well, if a check arrives with one's name on it, that named person can spend it however they see fit. :)

No right or wrong way to spend it, until the wife wants to discuss it!

"Run Forest, run." Lol

Brian Krashpad and mrfixitmi like this.
  11. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Electromatic

Dec 20, 2020
    Kansas
    Since the stimulus checks started, I paid a grandson's tuition to trade school, helped out my two stepsons financially, and wrote a check to the local food bank. I've also bought three guitars, a bass, a guitar amp, a bass amp, and three pedals. What was paid for with my money, and what was paid for with the stimulus? Beats me.

mrfixitmi and mr coffee like this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I apologize, but : what do you mean by "stimulus check" ? o_O
    French direct translation = vérification de stimulus = I doesn't speaks to me ! :oops:
    Any clue, Guys ? :D

A+!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    No stimulus check, had another dependent removed from deductions.
    So no check, no real refund, so can I assume that Uncle Sam bought a guitar with the money I spent? I did not see a lot of infrastructure improvements as promised, so the money could have gone for guitars...right ;)

14. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    @hcsterg
    Many US citizens received payment from the government to help with economic relief due to the pandemic. The amount depended upon income and the payments came in different forms such as direct deposit to one's bank account or by check in the mail. They were called stimulus checks, perhaps to be used to stimulate the economy as well.

Runamok and hcsterg like this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Money is FUNgible.

All Thumbs likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    A stimulus check is what you do before an intimate night with the significant other, making sure all the parts are working, more important as we get older. :p

new6659 and Jeff67 like this.
  17. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I've been in "Emergency Spending Shut Down" mode as far as anything non-essential, since January, for personal reasons.

18. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    Mine went to lots of beer,women,and gambling........the rest I spent foolishly!!:D

new6659 and Jeff67 like this.
  19. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    I bought a set of Bare knuckle Double cream heavy aged Mules for my 1980 Gibson Les Paul Heritage Elite.

I also bought a Strymon Iridium amp and cabinet simulator pedal.
    So now on a lot of my gigs where there is a pro sound company I can plug my guitar and pedal board into the Iridium and come back through my in ears. So I essentially have no stage volume. Sometimes on weddings and certain other gigs a guitar player should be seen and not heard.
    I was using my 1975 Princeton reverb mic'd up with the volume set at 2.
    There was no way I could hear it on stage but through the monitors and front system it sounded phenomenal. Next gig I'm bringing the Iridum, small pedalboard and my PRS. I'm 56, I'm not breaking my back anymore humping around an amp if I do t have to.

20. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Check yes, guitar no. Sent some to national hunger related charity and banked some in hopes of future travel. There are guitars in the closet to keep me busy foe awhile.

Runamok likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.