If you got a stimulus check, did you buy a guitar?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Apr 13, 2021.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Radwife and I both got one

Banked some

Bought a 61 key Yamaha Keyboard for my 9 yr old granddaughter who plays piano to keep at their cabin at Tahoe

Donation to the local food bank

speedicut, mrfixitmi, Henry and 3 others like this.
  2. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    We put our first round of stimulus along with some savings and launched our business. Now that the business is doing well, I can get gear - second round went toward the things we needed to move into a larger office, and after that was sorted I got my Axe-Fx III. Not a guitar, but hey...

-m

3. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    No stimulus and the removal of the dependent deduction in taxes really hit me well. And also can't deduct costs of working from home either, which I was able to do from 2007 - 2012 which was my last time working from home. Apparently I have more money than the 55 largest corporates in the US, as none of them paid one cent of federal income tax in 2020...

So no help from the feds for my guitar hobby.

mrfixitmi, radd and Hammerhead like this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’s being parked at the moment. Once I determine if the washing machine is repairable or if I need a new one... there are classified plans for the leftover.

mrfixitmi and G5422T like this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    You’re a good man, radd. I’d even buy an expensive guitar from you, unplayed and sight unseen. ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    As is said, “there’s a sucker born..........:D

How is my ex Rose doing?

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    YEP - Bought a Cadillac Green/Gold G5422TG and a Hofner Verithin.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    It's in the bank while I decide on hearing aids, so I can hear the guitars I have.

9. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Reading all these responsible adult stories is making me feel a bit guilty.
    NGD - Gibson J-15

DF65C293-06B5-48CD-AAC2-677830FAC96E.jpeg
    4194B788-67E7-4FD8-AE83-119489483E6A.jpeg
    06B7422F-8091-4BCC-B859-43BB48324879.jpeg

new6659, mrfixitmi, mbkri and 4 others like this.
  10. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    My stimmy got dropped into a high end Partscaster. Yeah, pics are coming sooner or later.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Well, the first one, last March coincided with a good price for an '80s' Explorer on Reverb.
    It's low price was explained by it being an example of a bad black refinish, followed by someone removing said finish and with it, the Gibson logo and most of the serial number.

Came with a case:
    1F827521-FD05-466A-A992-77CC25B7B09A_1_105_c.jpeg

Has the silk 'shroud':
    13AC6F15-D7B7-4766-9546-038895E9C005_1_105_c.jpeg

The case, at least, supports the late 80s claim.

33DA320A-A0C0-4815-A48F-FF111C7593BF_1_105_c.jpeg

Remains of the serial number. I'm thinking it'll show up under black light.

EBB3BC25-07BC-4522-9520-C7014AA9ADE5_1_105_c.jpeg

Inside the case was a MOP Gibson logo so I pulled the EMGs and put in SD Antiquities, replaced all the wiring and inlaid the logo.

AA44EBE2-9F93-4057-8DB6-359CA589884C_1_105_c.jpeg

There was an undisclosed problem where it looked like someone had turned the truss rod nut too hard and rotated the washer, which had poked through the wood and the back. It was covered with then bondo there and blended in well. The whole truss rod cavity was a mess of the thick black paint previously slopped on. I got $500 rebate from the seller for that, he was genuinely unaware of it (I believe). Haven't fixed that yet, it's on the list but it plays and sounds great.

new6659, radd and guitarfarm like this.
  12. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    Well, several benefits arrived at once, so you could say I got a guitar out of the situation, yes...

IMG_3731.jpg

Rapidly becoming my #1

13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    As much as I would have liked to get another one, we were well entrenched in the squirrel wars at the time. A red squirrel had moved into the attic which called for professional removal after my failures. That lead to whole house sealing against pests, trapping and removal of said beast, resealing, and tree removal. Good grief, that was one expensive tree rat. Of course, chewing through the wires and burning down the house would have cost more. Maybe this year....

mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Those red squirrels can be unbelievably destructive - we had a problem with them at my parents' house years ago.

-m

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    First 2 stimulus checks went to stupid stuff like taxes and bills. Third one came a few weeks ago and said......Im buyin something. Here tis':

Tonemaster.jpg

16. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I probably shouldn't mention what the first stimulus went for, but it's damn sexy and has Magpul furniture all over it. Most recent stimulus went in the bank. Boring, I know.

17. ndteal90

ndteal90 Newbie

May 25, 2016
    Rochester
    Yeah, actually. I've been out an electric guitar for 1½ years and we had nothing else really pressing. I was looking at a G5422TG until I found a used Schecter Corsair for $403. Figured I wasn't gonna best that.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Hoot

Hoot Electromatic

Jun 25, 2019
    Southern IL, USA
    Leaf Filter gutter guards....working great! No more climbing up on the roof risking my very life to get those Sweet Gum balls.

19. Stratiner

Stratiner Electromatic

Bought a truck to have to do things. 81 Ford F150. Have done some more work to improve it as well. Bought it from folks who started restoring it and Covid had hurt them to the point of having to sell it.

IMG_20210407_181019775_HDR.jpg

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  20. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    We've received checks, yes. Since we were fortunate enough to not have been financially impacted with any real job loss (although in fact my wife retired due to the pandemic, she was able to switch to a safer job), we've gifted most of what we got to our adult kids.

I did buy myself a Gretsch Pro Jet for Christmas 2020, but it didn't really have anything to do with the stimulus. It was a good deal and I already had enough set aside in the gear fund to buy it.

So, I guess my response is "yes and no."

[​IMG]

new6659, mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.