If you could only have one Gretsch guitar model...

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
I looked at one the colors aren’t there for me but if they ever come out with some different colors I might be in. green blue something else to catch my eye. I’m picky that way. I really wanted to like it just couldn’t get past the color of the pups.
Yeah, I wish the Tri-Fives had better finish options, the Rat Rods too. It'd be nice to have a thinner bodied beater-ish Gretsch that's roughly the same size as my 6120 for dodgy gigs or touring.

Plus thinner bodies + sound posts sound different than my trestle braced 6120, so it's nice to have a variety of sounds.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Yeah, I wish the Tri-Fives had better finish options, the Rat Rods too. It'd be nice to have a thinner bodied beater-ish Gretsch that's roughly the same size as my 6120 for dodgy gigs or touring.

Plus thinner bodies + sound posts sound different than my trestle braced 6120, so it's nice to have a variety of sounds.
Make a Double cut 1.5” hotrod in Setzer purple full hollow tone post. Traditional neck set not this new flatter poo and no darn tension bar Bigsby! And the TVHT or RayButts pups. No pickgaurd!

just a thought

Last edited:

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
I still love the classic 335 shape, but the Gretsch design has a lot more room at the upper frets. This is a nice thing if you have big hands. I love a full size semi-hollow guitar and the Gretsch design works better for me. I’d rather give my money to Gretsch than Gibson.

Im all about the double cutaway for sure but Gretsch is defo headed toward the Fender Parallel universe thing. Like this puppymonkeybaby

D9gl.gif

TeleTRBLITB-large.jpg

Charging Charlie

Gretschie
Jun 21, 2018
Maryland
Which one would you choose? Doesn't have to be one you own. Sure, you could cheat and say an old one that's worth the most money, but I'm curious which models will get the most love around here.

I've been to 4 Guitar Centers, 1 Sam Ash and Sweetwater in the last two weeks trying out every Gretsch I could get my hands on. So far, my favorite was a G6122T-59GE Vintage Select Country Gentleman. If I had to pick one today, that's the one.

I also liked a couple of Electromatic solid bodies. The G5220 and G5237. I wouldn't kick a Jet Club out of bed either.
6119 Tenn. Rose and 5422 Electromatic