If There Were No Gretsch; What Would You Play

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
Being deeply invested with Gretsch guitars, I was thinking of what I would do if some wormhole came along and changed history and the Gretsch line was erased from history.

If There Were No Gretsch; What Would You Play​

Pretty much everything that I've been playing right along. My oldest Gretsch is just a few months from brand new.

railtycoon

Electromatic
Mar 26, 2012
Green Bay, WI
I really like my G&L ASAT Classic Custom (Nashville Tele) but honestly if I could have only one guitar (God forbid) it would be my Fender American Pro Jaguar. Love it in pup position 4, both pups in series. I have a (lowly?) Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet (2011ish silver sparkle) with Blacktop FilterTrons adjusted closer to the strings. It can more than hold it's own tone-wise but doesn't quite have that quality feel the American G&Ls and Fenders do but still plays great and tone is excellent. FenderAmericanProJaguar.jpg

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Man, this would be a tough one, because the guitar that I pick up is usually dependent on my mood. I suppose, it would be a Strat, since I have 4 of them, but then I like the PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, so it might just as easily be that one . . . then there's the Taylor that I use most often in church. Do you see the dilemma? This could take some time to sort through.

Mark 6120

Gretschie
Nov 5, 2020
DFW
A Stratocaster. I can get anything I want out of one - as long as the bridge pickup has a tone control.

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
It takes a lot of time and effort to learn the nuance of just one guitar and then, you really only understand it for the music you play. I’ve put that kind of effort into all of my guitars. If I didn’t have a Gretsch, I’d probably get a different hollow body. Maybe a Guild. Maybe a D’Angelico.