If it quacks its probably not a stallion

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Feb 16, 2021.

1. macdog

macdog Gretschie

Dec 25, 2014
    Melbourne
    Love a good scammer story where the good guy comes out on top.

mrfixitmi, mbkri and MrWookiee like this.
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Well, they knew to steal the pics from Gruhn. Guess they don't know how to crop the name out. Lol.

mrfixitmi and mbkri like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Then counter offer an address , that's a little out of my way . Let's meet ...... lets say the address of the local Police Dept. ( that's actually where I do all my business when purchasing / selling on CList . Works both ways )
    Works like a charm ;)

4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    OF COARSE ! OF COARSE ! now it makes sense .... The widow Jessica " Flint " . Her husband " Larry " just died on Feb 10th
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...40626c-6bf0-11eb-ba56-d7e2c8defa31_story.html
    with a net worth of 500 million . Poor woman must have nothing
    https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/ceos/larry-flynt-net-worth/
    ... Ah , maybe I'm wrong all together .....but he probably didn't really like Jessica that much because he was married 5 times ...... Mary , Peggy , Kathy , Althea , and Elizabeth :D

mrfixitmi, mbkri and drmilktruck like this.
  5. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    But Jessica was in it for the love.

mrfixitmi, thunder58 and mbkri like this.
  6. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    LOL :p

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts

8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I was looking on Craigslist for an enclosed trailer for a motorcycle. Someone keeps advertising different ones for like $600, whereas a reasonable price would be about $2800. People who have actually responded to those ads report no response. So maybe they get an email address, but what are they getting out of the phony ads?

9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Maybe they are just getting email addresses. But enough ads in enough Craigslist regions is a boatload of emails that they can sell. Maybe? I dont know. Why dont people just get a proper job and get some self respect.

Sabato likes this.
  10. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I got a couple private messages about the Timmy I have for sale. They have zero posts on the forum, so they must have joined just to PM me about it. So, I'm not sure what they're up to. Buying or selling anything is getting harder to avoid the scammers. I requested F&F paypal in my ad and now I think everyone thinks I'm the scammer.

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Somewhere deep in the past I recall hearing of a theft ring that used classified ads to find the locations of valuable, stealable goodies. They either stole whatever was for sale or offered specific items for sale that were related to what they were looking for. Like they advertise a set of pipes for a Harley and say they'll meet the buyer at his home. Then not show up and a few days later steal his bike from the garage.

Otherwise I got nothin. I too have wondered why some people don't respond at all to their ads.

When I first started collecting a woman on FB had a nice Yamaha strat clone (like new, hardly played) with HC for $100. The case alone was worth about that. Her FB profile looked ok to me.
    Light blue, I didn't love the color but contacted her. She told me she was working long hours and couldn't meet until the weekend, about 4 days later. I waited patiently but when the weekend came she said she was too busy with other things she had to do. Naturally I was getting ticked off.
    Meanwhile I was also looking at CL and saw a pic almost just like hers with the exact same backround, but the guitar was red instead of light blue. Wasn't exactly the same pic but close enough I really wondered what was going on. If she had two why post one on FB and the other on CL??
    I emailed her again in FB and asked what was going on. Heard nothing until a week later she emailed me (with no explanation) and asked whether I wanted the guitar or not.
    Sorry I don't have a great ending to this story. I told her I'd pass (because something about this was fishy) and she got bitchy and told me to go to hell. LOL!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    mrfixitmi and Sabato like this.
  12. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    nice catch - shady people like this can burn in the deepest ring of hell as far as I'm concerned.

macdog and mbkri like this.
  13. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    Yep - my wife asked me for a cheat sheet so she knows what my Arsenal is worth. It has the year, manufacturer, country, neck style, “ton woods” radius, neck shape, fretboard material, type of pups, Serial #’s, etc. she wouldn’t dare take out (1) screw, much less to know to flip over the pots! Good catch! Although I dream of a score like that. As Phillip McKnight says “it’s a good place to park your money”.

mrfixitmi and mbkri like this.
  14. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Update: i found where most of the photos and the writing had been lifted from. Mike and Mike’s Guitar Bar actual listing price.... $19,900!
    Im not posting the link because there is no reason to promote traffic to their store... i have no idea who they are.... but they look like they handle some pretty tasty guitars and they arent called Jessica and they dont post in the Indianapolis area Craigslist!

Randy99CL, mrfixitmi and MrWookiee like this.
  15. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Yep, I can’t imagine the lovely lady taking the control panel out. I suspect you can’t either :)

mbkri and Back in Black like this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Today I got a version of the Nigerian letter only the guy was in a refugee camp in Ghana. He has so much money that he needs some of mine to free it up.

mrfixitmi and MrWookiee like this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    It would be interesting if you get a reply.

We had a similar situation with my sister trying to buy a vintage Slingerland Drum set for my niece. A local Facebook add, with the Drum set location in New Jersey. My niece already has a vintage champagne Gretsch set, but my sister thought that a vintage Art Deco Slingerland to add to her "collection" would be cool. Similar story husband had died, and left it in their basement, it was only $1800. The pictures looked familiar, (my son found the same picture) on a Drum shop website. In order to see the set better, we asked her if she could set up a Zoom meeting using her IPAD to show us the set using the camera.....no response.....

What do we always say if it is too good to be true....

mbkri and MrWookiee like this.
  18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Keep stringing "her" along. Tell her you feel guilty for taking advantage of her loss and the guitar is worth more, you would pay $8000. Send fake contact info. If she wastes your time, as a gentleman, you should return the favor.

MrWookiee, mbkri and Sabato like this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    It is psychologically simple, scammers prey on greed. They offer something rare for much less than what it should sell for and act innocent (I don't know anything about it).
    We want to believe it is true and get sucked in by working to find a story that makes sense to us. You can say they give us just enough rope to hang ourselves.

As I've written, it is safer to look at any interaction as a scam until they prove to you it is not. Phone calls, emails, CL and FB marketplace, etc.

Another point is that I've never died by passing on an item. I've run across deals I thought I "couldn't live without" at the time but didn't get them and still woke up the next day, LOL!
    They usually try to get us to act quickly before our emotions calm down.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    new6659 and Sabato like this.
  20. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I've never figured out why scammers don't just offer a good deal instead of a crazy low price. If everyone is selling a widget for $2,000, why not offer a fake widget for say $1,500 instead of $500? Put a scratch on the front as the reason for lower price and have people arguing about the how much the downgrade in price should be for the scratch instead of whether it is real widget or not.
    Another question, about the knock-off guys. If everyone knows the real deal has a little "w" etched by the jack plate , why wouldn't you etch a little "w" by the jack plate on the fake you're trying to sell?

Sabato likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.