If it quacks its probably not a stallion

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Feb 16, 2021.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I came close to making the score of a lifetime..... on Craigslist. I think you all know where this is going.
    1972 rosewood telecaster in great shape about three hours drive from me. $800. My first thought was that they’d missed off a zero. But i emailed them anyway.
    So heres the guitar. EA9F8A46-B688-4863-843A-B67048A39459.jpeg

F118B6AB-95DA-42B1-9AC6-6FA4BE73FCDF.jpeg
    Its a sad story. The price is, indeed only $800. The lady is selling because it was her husbands and he passed recently. So sad. Sad also that since he passed she has relocated to North Dakota to leave her past life behind. Good for her. Sad also that the guitar is no longer a three hour drive from Chicago. Perhaps she should have placed her advertisement in North Dakota Craigslist instead, bless her heart.
    I asked for more photographs and she was very thorough given her grief and how busy she must be with the move and all. Even took the trouble to take the guitar apart and get a snap of the control panel. Really going the extra mile.
    7D63CC84-EDBD-4E5D-BBDC-520C41181B1D.jpeg

im still talking to her via email. The sticking point for me is that she seems committed to using Google Checkout for everyones peace of mind. So thoughtful.
    Its a gorgeous guitar. I think it must have been at Gruhn’s at some point because of the file name on some of the photos she sent me.
    Im going to play this out for a while and see how much of “her” time i can waste.
    And, no, I wont be following up with my full name, address and phone number so that Google Checkout can handle the transaction.
    Apparantly this is a common scam but ive not seen it before. The Google Checkout component. The item not in the location where it was listed. The reassurance that i will have 5 days to checkout the guitar before Google processes the sale. The dead husband is not standard, just a nice touch.

Waxhead, T-Bawler, Mr Swisher and 2 others like this.
  2. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Tell her you will send someone with cash to pick it up if you can have her address.

3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Brilliant idea. Thats my next email. And of course, underneath it all im harbouring a slim, desperate hope that it is indeed available and $800.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Caveat Emptor.
    Trust no one.
    If something seems too good to be true, it probably isn't too good.

MotorCentaur, mrfixitmi and mbkri like this.
  5. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    When you're done with that, I still have this listed on Craig's List
    [​IMG]

6. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MB,

It could be a quacking stallion.

The red light that I'm seeing...is this ''lovely lady'' taking the time to open up the control panel.

I certainly can't see my wife doing that.

If it was me, if I felt the ''lady'' was genuine, I'd pack a suitcase and go on a road trip, geographically speaking, ND is not that far, I've driven further than that to a dive site.

The only drawback, this time of year is the winter weather, and maybe interstate COVID-19 Pandemic restrictions.

If your gut is telling you something that your brain is not, go with your gut. This guitar could very well be an ALI Express knockoff????

There may be a local/trustworthy guitar broker in ND, that you could retain to conduct a visit/evaluation/appraisal.

Contact Gruhn in Nashville, they may have some background/document history on the guitar.

The attached photo is an ALI Express ''George Harrison'' Rosewood Telecaster.

Let us all know how this plays out.

Best,

BIB.

AAA.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I personally had so many encounters with scam during the last few years. I am totally cured buying guitars from private parties online without picking them up in person.
    Even at a crazy-good pricepoint like that I would not be tempted.
    19MGB76`s idea sounds like a reasonable way, though.
    Just do not offer her too much in advance.
    ...And be prepared to lose that money.

mrfixitmi, Randy99CL and mbkri like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    well she is really quite wedded to the Google Checkout process. Notice she neglected to erase the word “vehicle” in her last bullet point explaining how simple and safe the process is.
    C0102351-C554-499D-9498-4EA096916E83.png

T-Bawler and thunder58 like this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    HaHaHaHaHa!!! Red flags all over that one! When they demand a shaky, unnecessary method of payment with all your personal data, bingo.
    Demand her complete address and say you will send her a cashier's check for over the amount, if she can refund the difference in cash.

Edit: you are right about the missed "vehicle" in her email. These people often do their scams with cars as they are more popular than guitars and reach more potential suckers.

My attitude toward a transaction like this is simple; they advertise, we talk on the phone, we meet within a day or two, cash (with my Ruger hidden in the holster) and I drive away with the guitar. Anything other than that is suspect.

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Something fishy here.......

mrfixitmi, Sabato and mbkri like this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    “The dead husband is a nice touch”

:D

12. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Regards, my a$$!

Sabato and mbkri like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well it’s been a snow day so I’ve had a little time on my hand, but all good things must come to an end so I just “blew my chances” by hinting delicately that “she” might not be being quite honest.
    My final email;

Jessica,
    This has been lots of fun.
    And of course if you actually had this guitar to sell then it would also have been great because you would be getting my money and I would be getting your guitar.
    It’s a shame that it has to end but I don’t think we can carry on with the farce much longer. Best to end politely now.
    I am of course sincerely interested in the guitar that you claim to be selling and have offered to put money into your hand and have it collected, but you really do seem intent on getting my name address and phone number all of which are irrelevant. Google Checkout ceased operating under that name in 2013. There is absolutely no reason for you to insist that we use that method. You neglected to remove the word “vehicle” when you cut and pasted “guitar” into your instructions. The photos (courtesy of Gruhn Guitars) are way more specific than you needed (though they are excellent information), the original description is verbiage cut and pasted from a guitar store, not the words of a grieving widow unloading her deceased husband’s gear. There is no reason at all to post in Indiana Craigslist if you live in ND. And I doubt very much that your previous buyer was getting a bank loan to buy an $800 guitar. Probably that story works for vehicles but not so much on guitars.
    Anyhow, on the slightest possibility that you do actually have the guitar and would like to sell it to me then do let me know and I will put $800 into your hands.
    Sincerely.
    Mat

mrfixitmi, T-Bawler and loudnlousy like this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    If you can report a possible scammer to their email provider (or whomever) it might help others. Not really a big deal, there are plenty of free accounts available.

Not being critical but I don't tell scammers how I spotted their game, I don't give them info that may help them. Not a big deal either, they'll just go on to the next guy.

mrfixitmi, radd and mbkri like this.
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well that was an interesting read, scammers rally are going hard at anything these days not just vehicles, I have car parts up forsale at the moment and a scammer tried to get me on a 'parts engine' that I advertised, saying that she wanted to buy it for her niece.

they really are going after anything these days.

mrfixitmi and mbkri like this.
  16. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Last year my father-in-law, who is smart enough to know better but is in his eighties, was contacted by a scammer. He gradually caught on to the ruse and decided to play along so as to "trap" the miscreant so that law enforcement would have an airtight case. Short story is that after coughing up several $k he went to the cops and they told him he had no recourse and treated him like he was an idiot. Moral of the story is, don't try to play detective without letting the cops know ahead of time, and using their money!

17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Like many of you, I have been online since the late '80s. The first big scams that I remember were the Nigerian Prince deals and I remember being momentarily tempted the first time I received one. Thankfully I smelled something fishy even before they were exposed. And then people still got taken, even fairly recently.

The problem is that the scammers are actually making money with these things. By spending a few minutes at a time they can find gullible people and make tons of money. Much easier than working for a living.

You have to develop the attitude that anything can be a scam. Not a trip to walmart, but any phone call or email message can be someone trying to rip you off.
    It helps to consider any potential transaction (outside a store or dealer) as a scam until they prove it is not.

These criminals never get caught, they are untraceable. That's why there are so many doing it.

I never click to open any unknown email, even from accounts I know. Friends have had their email accounts hacked.
    I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I used to but got tons of calls for extended warranties and other crap. There are lots of phone scams (aimed at old people) where they pose as relatives in jail or the IRS or local police demanding money.

Friends and family know to contact me by phone or Facebook.

I still have a Club in my trunk even though I rarely use it. Criminals have learned that if they cut the steering wheel it only takes 30 seconds to remove it but the point is that the car next to mine wouldn't be as much trouble to steal. Same thing here, I don't give scammers any attention or hope so they move on to someone else.

Edit: I am laughing out loud right now. This reminded me of the Land Shark from SNL in the '70s!!! He would ring the doorbell and say things like "western union" or "pizza delivery" until he found the right words that would get the victim to open the door. Just like scammers trying different angles to find something that catches a victim. Landshark - SNL - YouTube

mrfixitmi, T-Bawler, macdog and 2 others like this.
  18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Lol. I'd demand proof of life, a pic of the guitar next to her computer monitor with today's news headlines on it.

mrfixitmi, T-Bawler, mbkri and 2 others like this.
  19. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    @Randy99CL I remember the exiled Prince scam! Why any Prince in Africa would want to get $1 million out of the country and decide to do it by giving it to a random stranger to split is quite beyond me. And how anyone could actually believe it and send a strange “lawyer” acting on behalf of the “prince” their bank details is mind boggling.
    ..... but that was a nice looking Telecaster wasnt it?

mrfixitmi and MrWookiee like this.
  20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    And if it gallops, it's probably not a duck.

mrfixitmi, Randy99CL and mbkri like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.