I would love a good tortilla recipe

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, May 24, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    ...but maybe it's my technique/method?

Most restaurants flour tortillas are fluffy, stretchy (e.g soft, pliable and not brittle) and tasty. They are almost like...well...pastry. But not mine :( They taste passable, but they usually are not too fluffy and somewhat brittle.

Ideally...

upload_2020-5-24_21-46-0.jpeg

I've tried combining the ingredients carefully/meticulously, using lard or Crisco for the "oil", but they're just not "right".

You guys, please---stop playing your Gretsch guitars and/or snuggling with your wives, and help me figure this out(!)

I wouldn't mind a little automation to help; maybe a tortilla press?

upload_2020-5-24_21-50-58.jpeg

Much obliged.

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    My USA born Mexican father taught my immigrant Irish-German mother how to make tortillas and she taught us. I think its technique more than ingredients because I was hit and miss w consistency for yrs, she on the other hand was and is, spot on everytime. I'm gluten free so I've not had a tortilla in 1.5 yrs. I think I now need to leave this thread, I'm sad. How the hell is a guy named Tavo Vega supposed to live without tortillas?? It was hard enough leaving cheese behind. Corned Beef and Cabbage just aint cuttin it :) Lemme pull the recipe card out.

T Bone and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    My condolences. I recall you are in San Diego? That area has some of the best food, particularly Mexican cuisine, I have ever had.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    My method for an almost crispy, nicely browned tortilla: cast iron frying pan, no oil or butter or anything like that. I use a Store bought tortilla. Put a layer of Tillamook cheddar cheese (Tillamook is the best. This is an important ingredient.) on the tortilla and place in the pan over medium+ heat. Don’t fold it yet. Let the cheese melt. The cheese will help prevent moist ingredients like salsa or tomatoes from making the tortilla soggy. When the cheese has melted, slightly lift the tortilla to make sure it hasn’t burned. Add your other ingredients. Preheat those if necessary (like with refried beans or meat.) Check the tortilla again after 5- 10-minutes (depends on your heat; time and temp determine how crispy it is and whether you burn it! :p) Fold the tortilla in half, flip it over for a couple minutes to warm the other ingredients. Serve and eat. You gonna like.
    If you’re talking about making the tortilla itself, I can’t help. :oops:

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    ZackyDog likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least you've got Guinness, potatoes, Irish stew, and whisky.

I'm amazed at how many cultures have a round bread. Pitas, tortillas, and we Poles have pierogi. The word for kitchen is similar in many tongues as well---Kuchina.

Tavo, I hope you can come up with a proper tortilla recipe. I can get good ones at a nearby bodega that far surpass what the regular chain stores carry. Prices are better, too. Home made would be best, tho.

6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Maybe the secret is cooking them on an earthenware comal?

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I think the tortilla press is a great idea. Bought one but haven't tried it yet. Never made my own tortillas but really want to learn.

There are a ton of gluten free tortilla recipes out there. Almond flour is something I use in some recipes, might make good tortillas?

TV the Wired Turtle and ZackyDog like this.
  8. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Sorry Zackydog, I found a great tortilla recipe years ago, but uses corn , not wheat. Masa harina or "Maseca" (brand) Not cornmeal or regular corn flour. Easy to make tortillas at home. I use a dry cast iron pan, no press.

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Dave-B

Dave-B Country Gent

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Not possible. While we've almost perfected our pancakes and waffles mixing Bobs Redmill Gluten free pancake mix w Birchbender's Pancake Paleo Gluten free w coconut oil. One thing no one ever talks about it that mixing flours like Cassava, Almond, and Coconut end up yielding a much more moist fluffier, ungooey centered product. But... a tortilla cannot be trifled with, they are gross feeling in mouth texture and taste if you dont stick to actual ingredients and the right porportions, even down to the properly seasoned cast iron griddle.
    Here you go, Denise Vega's recipe. :) She agrees that technique has much to do w success using these simple ingredients handed to her by my father's mother. (although my Grandma Carmen used rex lard, she was hardcore)
    • 3 cups flour
    • 1 level tsp. Salt
    • 1 tsp. Baking powder
    • 3 Tablespoons oil
    • 1 cup hot water
    Add dry ingredients and put in food processor, mix in oil, and hot water....
    don’t add all the water at once... see how it comes together.
    You don’t want it sticky or too dry, like a nice dough to roll out.
    Make sure pan is hot before cooking.
    Put in covered container.

the tools: keep flour on your wood cutting board and on the rolling pin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

dish towel inside a tortilla warmer, slightly damp

[​IMG]

T Bone, Bertotti, blueruins and 3 others like this.
  12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Nice. Thank you and Mrs. Vega.:)

13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal

oh shoot I forgot, make sure you sift your flour!
    [​IMG]

T Bone and ZackyDog like this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, I saw that a couple of days ago when I was doing some "research". :) One of the only recipes that I have seen that uses milk. Very interesting.

@TV the Wired Turtle

Yeah....this would only help matters:

[​IMG]

T Bone likes this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    We are experimenting w Einkorn flour, an ancient european wheat.
    "Einkorn wheat does contain gluten but is different from most wheat in that it contains only 14 chromosomes as opposed to 28 in emmer or 42 in modern wheat. This alters the gluten structure which may be why it does not affect those with gluten intolerance as much as other wheat.Mar 29, 2015" *
    Some doctors are finding that the body is incapable of digesting the gluten in modern wheat and thus the rise of gluten intolerance over the last few decades. Einkorn is still produced in limited quantities.
    One of them is Bluebird mills. I recently bought this along w a sourdough starter kit, which further breaks down gluten some 95%, so the einkorn w the sourdough process yields a much safer product for my older son who deals w really bad acne and my younger son who struggles w OCD (their doctor's reason or the main reason we all jumped on board). The wife's side of the family carries the gene for celiac but no one has presented so far in a direct form.

*https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488568/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Hahaha. I love this place so, so much!!!!
    Where else would you discuss string gauges, personal dramas, puppy-news, Gretsch serial numbers or tortilla receipts if not here?
    Love you folks dearly.

ZackyDog and new6659 like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It is funny, not funny haha but funny strange, you mention corn tortillas. I used to see corn and flower in the store often but I can’t remember the last time I saw a bag of corn Tortillas but the store has five plus brands of flour one.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    we live on corn tortillas and corn chips (gluten free ones) but have yet to try our hands at making corn tortillas. Thank God tacos are basically gluten free :)

dougmon and Bertotti like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Around Christmas some of the grocery stores sells. Cookie stocking stuffer. A small cast iron griddle the size of about a 4” cookie and a cookie mix. You season the pan mix the cookie and cook it in the stove. Little kids enjoy it. Well that little griddle is quite handy! Love cast iron.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.