I want to add a Strat Pickup to the middle position of my Custom T Armond's guitar

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by motw, Feb 8, 2020.

1. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    HI,

I have this custom made guitar by a local luthier with TV Jones T Armond and was thinking of adding a stratocaster pickup in the middle position:

- How will a neck strat pickup sound in the middle position? Will it work? I want options for a lead sound
    - Would a 4rth position work with the T armond neck and Strato neck together? I'm worried about volumes
    - What pot value should I use with the neck strat? I will change all the volume and tone pots for the t armond with 1 meg to add some brightness.
    - Finally, Which Strat pickup will fullfill my need? There are too many to compare, I don't want a noiseless one.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have no idea if it would work. I do know that your guitar is beautiful.

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That is a great looking guitar and I'm sure it sounds great.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice guitar, I like it!
    1- It will work, and it will sound like a Strat in the middle position, provided you get a normal Strat pickup :)
    2- Don’t worry about volume, you will be getting another middle pickup position, and approach the Strat quack thing, but just a little different. Playing with with pickup height and pole/coil heights means thousands of adjustment positions. But it will likely sound like a .....Strat in 4th position.
    3- It’s a bit too late to mention this, but why not just get a Strat? Let T-As do their thing. I’m saying this because T-As are super charged Strat pickups in some sense, they open up bright with 1 Megs, but it’s all dependent on the total pot load. I’d stick with 500k, but if you have an independent volume for the Strat pickup, def use 250k. Otherwise put a resistor on the Strat pickup, parallel to ground, to match the 1megs or 500ks. This way, the Strats pickup ‘seees’ a 250k pot. Don’t know the particular value, sorry, you’d probably have to experiment with different values anyways since this is not a common mod.
    4- Can’t help you here, I don’t dig Strats. How about another neck T-A? That would be killer :)

MKunie and rob batz like this.
  5. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    texas special

MKunie likes this.
  6. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    A neck pickup will work. There are many Strat pickups. Which one? Some Strat pickups are all the same N-M-B, Many are different.
    It should quack, how well is a guess, but I haven't found any combo that won't quack.
    I would just get a hot Strat pickup, Tex Mex or Texas Special. The Tex Mex are only about $30 and my favorite actually. Having hot there will allow you to have it low and not have picking interference.

7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I want to add a Strat Pickup to the middle position of my Custom T Armond's guitar

Add a Lipstick pickup ! ;)

[​IMG]

A+!

MKunie, drmilktruck and DennisC like this.
  8. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I go along with this sentiment.
    I have a Nashville Tele fitted witha Fender Twisted Tele Set. I have used a Strat Texas Special Middle pup in the middle position of my Tele. To me it's a perfect match.
    With T-Armonds, who knows.
    However I'm sure the T-Armond neck would work and match the tone and output of your other pups with a little adjustment for height. :)

9. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    20200208_184530.jpg 20200208_184538.jpg

It is! HEre are some more picks. It was co-designed with the luthier.

MKunie and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  10. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    HI thanks for the reply! What id I use a neck pickup in the middle position?

I like my custom guitar, It is actually a strat scale, which are the only thing I want from the strat spart from a little of those pickups sound, but I'm not interested in a full strato.

The thing is that I always find myself pushing the treble on the amps so I might just put 1 meg pots and use the tone control. I like the T armond in neck, it sound amazing, but the combination of both and the bridge pickup alone I could live without.

I would be but it is too expensive. The point of getting a neck or middle strat for the middle is to get more sounds from the guitar so I don't always use the neck one.

Thanks for your help!

11. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    HI thanks for the reply, I will look into that. What kind of known sounds will I be getting?

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don’t know any reason why you couldn’t. Most points have been addressed but I’d add the neck TA is likely RWRP to the bridge TA pickup, so best case scenario the SC will only be in full HB mode with either bridge or neck PU. Something to be aware of.

13. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile

HI, Thanks for the reply! Any other strat pickups you could recommend? IS there a problem if I install a neck pickup in the middle position? Are the eqs different?

14. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Hi, thanks! I necer though about that. What would I have to look for to get it to be in HB mode with the neck?

15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don’t know, but you can mail TV Jones and ask what magnet orientation the SC has to have combined with a neck TA.

16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    We need to know WHAT pickup you will use. But generally, no problem...neck or not too hot a bridge or middle pickup will work. I have a few around let me know if you want one, but really a new Tex Mex of your choice at $30-35 new is good way to go.

17. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Hi

I was thinking of getting a custom 69 pickup, I like the sound of it. What is the difference between the neck and bridge in the middle? Is the bridge more treble orientated?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Love the guitar!

I've never tried the combo personally, but based on my experience of T-Armonds in my Silver Jet & Starwood Strat in a few different guitars, I'd be inclined to go that route. The Starwoods hew more towards a Strat sound than DeArmond, but the sound is there in healthy quantity to my ears. I think they'd blend up nicely.

I've really liked the couple of lipstick equipped guitars I've had for a lead Strat type neck tone, but that's the only place I've used them. I think they might provide a more diverse option in the middle if that's what you're shooting for.

19. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    I will look into those.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  20. motw

motw Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    CHile
    Hi, thanks for the reply! I want to get 1 meg pots and add a middle pickup to get more lead sounds and different blends. I like the actual middle position but I don't use it that much, the neck position is gold to me, just need a bit more treble.. Before replacing the bridge t armond I would like to try this combo. I've decided to try the custom 69 pickup, It is cheap and sounds great to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.