I Used to Love My Sonos System ...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Oct 7, 2021.

1. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    Have to say, I love technology, but can't stand social media.

Some years ago, I looked at a new sound system and Sonos seemed to fit my bill. We bought a sound bar, sub and 2x 1's for the TV room, and it doubles as a really good sounding music system. Got a pair of 5's in the dining room, and they sound every bit as good as the old bookshelf speakers. I got a Move as a birthday pressy this year, not hi-fi, but useful out in the BBQ/Pizzeria.
    I've scanned in all my CD's onto a NAS so all of my music is available everywhere in the house. I can access any radio station from around the world. I can control the whole lot from my iPhone, iPad or Mac. HEY---What's not to like??

So for me, it's a positive experience, never had any problem that wasn't an easy fix but I understand it can be intimidating for others. As an old thechy from the tube days, I've always loved tube amps...and that's my line in the sand.....Tubes for making music and the rest for listening.

Talk about having a computer in a car, yes I'm all for that, in fact we all have one...a smart phone. I can't imagine navigating to an address if I had to use a street directory!

2. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    It already is!

dougmon and wabash slim like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    When I say huge, I mean the possibility of not being able to transact, because of dependencies. Credit card processing depends upon real-time data com, so a com failure can shutdown everyday activities, such as grocery shopping and fuel purchases.

That happened recently, in a small town near where I live, and for a few hours, everything stopped dead. If this were to happen on a wider scale and for a longer duration, we could experience something very difficult to reverse. We depend upon the Internet for the very things we would need in order to address an Internet outage.

The Coronal Mass Ejection which happened on Friday did not cause significant problems, but I was concerned. I realized that if there had been an Internet outage, I probably would not have even received notifications of problems, because there would have been no way for trouble reports to be recorded, if they did generate trouble reports there was no guarantee that I would be able to retrieve those and chances are that I couldn’t even reach the equipment that was affected. It’s a Gordian Knot.

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Without modern technology our family would have been screwed during the pandemic. We are lucky we can work from home without any major hiccup. The hard part will be going back to the office.

Glad you figured it out.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes over reliance on internet is of ongoing concern imo and will only increase in future years. I. Asimov wrote great novels on this issue 40 years ago in the "I Robot" series.

A good example was the major media coverage last week when Facebook site went down for 4 hrs. All media presented it in headline news like it was some kind of tragedy...... it's bizarre (and troubling) that anyone cared. Many would say no Facebook for hours/days/weeks would be a +ve benefit to society... :D:p

6. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Just checked into the forum for the first time in several days and realized my stupidity:
    If anyone was noticing, please forgive my 'Gargantuan Hairdo' photo post.
    Was meant for another thread. I must've had multiple tabs open or something and got confused LOL!
    Or I was drunk web-surfing, heck I don't know!
    Whoops, sorry.

drmilktruck and DougWheeler74 like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I liked the original post, regardless of whether it seemed to belong, so we’re good.

scrimmer likes this.
  8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    If it wasn’t for alcohol, forum moderators would have little to do. :)

scrimmer and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.