I Used to Love My Sonos System ...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Oct 7, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hindsight is 20/20. That's just another reason that I'm glad that I retired when I did. Things were getting stupider by the day. Got out when the getting was good.

To err is human.
    To really screw things up, you need a computer.

NowEarThis likes this.
  2. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    You more than likely have a computer in your car, unless its very old. I had a recent issue with a 2007 vehicle - all the traction control and engine warning lights came on after about 15 minutes driving. After stopping and shutting down they would stay off for another 15 minutes when driven. Long story short: after a lot of research and an onboard OBD reader I was getting a "bank 2 sensor 2" fail code (post CAT exhaust O2 sensor) Which could mean many things, failed O2 sensor either before or after the CAT converter, bad connectors, failed main computer etc etc. That (and all the other) sensors measure between 0.3 and 1 volt many times per second. That signal used by other sensors and ultimately the main computer uses that input to schedule fuel to the engine. So essentially a few millivolts error in the signal can be a problem. How that causes traction control warnings is beyond me.

I agree that I don't want that level of tech, especially in my home appliances and stereo; and would certainly never have a voice activated "smart" system.... but there are some things that just are computerized.

Rant over

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I still drive a '99 Jeep. I'm sure there are some solid state devices in it, but not like what's being sold today. My wife works at a dealership. Auto manufacturers can't produce cars and trucks right now because they can't get imported chips. In a similar vein, just try to find a stripped down farm or work truck with rubber floor mats and little plastic "chrome". Progress.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Amen!

I would like to get another pickup, but I want something simple. It’s not a matter of expense, it’s just a matter of simplicity. There’s some really amazing accessories and options on modern cars, but there’s a lot to be said for keeping things simple.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Fewer things to break, easier to repair on your own.
    Just remember---we're one electromagnetic pulse away from the Dark Ages.

new6659 and Waxhead like this.
  6. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Not sure what would be in something from '99 tbh... all I know for sure is I was shocked by the level of tech in the 2007. Good friend of mine was a mechanic - sorry.. automotive technologist. He started his trade when you could set the point gap with a piece of cellophane. He did mention how single wires carrying different voltages etc made the "plug in analysis" with a computer necessary; and that was back in the 80's. I didn't pay much attention because I could only afford old "junk" in those days.

Farm truck? Trucks I think are made now to go out to the academy awards not to actually work. Like 4 wheel drive very rarely goes off asphalt if ever. Yep, progress. And marketing.

wabash slim likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's something seriously wrong with 4WD Caddy and Lincoln trucks. SUVs are just station wagons for the new millennium.

8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I had a loaded Mazda MX-5, which I loved. The power window mechanisms and associated hardware failed for each door and I had over $400 per side in just the cost of electric window repairs. Here’s the thing, this is small car and it’s very easy to reach the window cranks from across the car, so power windows are barely a necessity.

At one time, I wanted the best and the fanciest, but these days I prefer simplicity and low cost of upkeep. Automation has given us all sorts of interesting innovations, but I believe that the tail now wags the dog.

wabash slim likes this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Exactly. I can understand 4WD in snow country, or if you actually go off road, but the current generation of SUV are mostly just FWD station wagons that sit a bit higher than my dad’s old Ford Country Sedan.

I have taken long trips in RAV 4s, Toyota Highlanders and Nissan Rogues. I have to say that all of those were great vehicles, and quite good on gas, but they have very little in common with a Jeep Wagoneer or a Bronco, Blazer or Ramcharger.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least the MX-5 doesn't have Lucas Electrics like we had in British cars. 3-15 Amp fuses for the entire car. I've had 6 VDC cars with generators, too. Didn't want to turn the radio on in the winter just to make sure you had enough juice to start it up again. Didn't want to run the wipers and the heater fan at the same time. Those were the days---dimmer switch on the floor, AM radio, wing windows, and three on the tree. I miss a lot of that. Manual transmissions are a great theft deterrent these days.

I do like the remote starter in the HHR my wife has. Nothing like walking out to an already warm, running car when it's -10F. Makes the trip to work easier, and the windows are already to easily scrape the ice off. Still, I dress for the weather, and while mine's warming up, I can brush the snow off and do the windows. Been doing it for 55 years, so, no worries.

Back to digitalization---
    It's an analog world. Analog in, analog out. Everything in between can be digital, based on chips, processed to kingdom come, but it's still analog in and out.

Waxhead likes this.
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Those old-school automotive electrical systems were as much a matter of dumb luck, as they were of smart engineering. :)

What concerns me is the incredible degree of reliance we have placed on the Internet. In the last 20 years, the Internet has grown in its role in commerce and communication, and I’m afraid that were there to be an outage of any length, we could end up in big trouble. Last Friday, there was a Coronal Mass Ejection which is due to strike the Earth in another 5 hours or so. It may cause little harm, and I certainly hope that is the case, but it could cause disruptions in communications and there’s little any of us could do about it, except ride it out and repair any damage after the fact. (This would most likely have any negative effect Internet Service Providers, telephone carriers and the like. I doubt that anyone’s home networks would be affected. But if your ISP goes down, there’s little you can do, except wait.)

What is concerning is that many businesses, even those providing essential services, might be highly reliant upon access to remote services, over the Internet. It’s not impossible that banking, credit cards, etc. could be impacted by a protracted general Internet outage. The resilience of the old analog phone system is pretty much a thing of the past.

I’m beginning to envy the Amish. :)

wabash slim likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We put far too much trust into the Internet and computers. There's little security in most folk's applications, then people are amazed that they get hacked. If you don't want your naked selfies leaked, don't take 'em in the first place, and don't leave them in any electronic device. Hospitals get hacked and have their records held up for ransom often enough that it's a serious problem. Everyone wants your Social Security Number for ID use. I was told only you, your employer, and the SS people are allowed to have it. People give it out, then wonder how they get their identity stolen.

People want to go cashless, use a credit or debit card for any purchases. Some say cash will disappear eventually. Credit card skimmers are found everywhere, your numbers can be copied anytime you use a card. Cash can't be traced---don't do business online if you can help it. every purchase you make, every item you research, all winds up in a data mine. Big Brother is watching.

Maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe they ARE out to get me.

audept likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A few years ago, I pursued and got, a very basic security certification known as a Security +. This is the most humble and basic of all security certifications and, while I knew most of the information before preparing for the test, I was astounded by the depth and breadth of security exploits that were known to exist. While I’m grateful for what I learned in that test prep, I avoid working specifically as a cyber security administrator, in great part because it can be a very tense field. The threats never end.

Like any tool, computers can be used for both good and for bad. They have brought us many good things and made possible medical treatments which have relieved much suffering. But, like any other tool, computers can be used to bad ends.

What I fear most of all is that an update will be rushed into distribution in response to a cyber threat with inadequate testing and cause problems that are not easily overcome. This sort of thing could cause disruption of massive scale.

audept and wabash slim like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Problem solved after resetting everything and reconnecting. Yay!

First thing I listened to throughout the house:

audept and DougWheeler74 like this.
  16. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Great news...does this mean that "love" has rekindled through the ashes? :D

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Great tune! That'll blow the cobwebs out!

Update: Thanks, Doc! Now I've got an earworm.

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I couldn't imagine practicing now without an electronic medical record. The amount of data that can be analyzed is far beyond what any paper system could ever do. I am reminded of everything a patient is due for, medication interactions checked, remote access available.

Henry, audept and DougWheeler74 like this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have nothing against that, but I fear that cyber-security issues will become a huge problem in the future.

wabash slim and audept like this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Computers are a constant source of frustration for me.........:(
    computerpunchingbag.jpg punch laptop.jpg

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.