I Used to Love My Sonos System ...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Oct 7, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    ... until I switched internet providers and now it can't connect to WiFi. The Sonos website is worthless. The app can't see the system because each device is still linked to the old WiFi address and there is no easy way to switch it. It should be as simple as going into the app and selecting the new WiFi, but that' s not how Sonos works. They talk about using an ethernet cable to connect one of the speakers directly to the router! Easy enough, let me just pull it out of the wall and haul it down to the basement. If I can connect a cheap Bluetooth speaker in less than a minute why can't a system costing hundreds of dollars be as easy?

Anyone have experience with this?

2. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Gretschie

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Stupid Covid. Ruining EVERYTHING!

section2 and Henry like this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Connect it with an Ethernet lead, and then it finds it on the wifi. Sonos is great but I agree it doesn’t handle change well.

drmilktruck likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Can you bring the router to the speaker? It may not need an internet connection as it just confirms connection via wifi.

dlew919 and drmilktruck like this.
  7. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I feel your pain as I've gone through this several times as I've moved four times in the last several years. Chet is on the right track. You need to go to each speaker, unplug power, hold the buttons as described in the article while you plug back in...in my experience, you may have to do it several times before it "takes". Gotta do it to each speaker.

You talked about having to "move your speaker out of the wall" (paraphrased)....are your speakers the architectural built-in ones? I can see where that would get difficult.

There is also a Sonos support article that lets you have Sonos create its OWN network, independent of your wifi...but, I haven't had to try that one....yet. Next time I have wifi issues with Sonos I am going to go that route so that Sonos operates independent of my regular network.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I finally dumped Sonos last year and just installed the Plex app. I was constantly having trouble connecting with WiFi and getting the system to recognize my music library. And it seemed like Sonos was pushing a new software update every day.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I have the problem that some speakers are hardwired and others are wireless.

10. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My essential frustration is that is an idiotic system. There has to be an easier way. I contacted the guy who installed the original system. His advice was to check out various You Tube videos. Note even he didn't say to check the Sonos website and he's an authorized dealer!

If my computer, laptop, multiple iPads, multiple iPhones, Apple TV and many Bluetooth devices can figure it out in less than a minute why can't Sonos? Poor programming, lack of interoperability and ultimately, arrogance. I'll never buy another Sonos product and would advise people never to do so either. I'll use Bluetooth speakers in the future. It's not just me. Google "Sonos connection problems" and you'll see.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I guess I'm lucky to be a Luddite....

G5422T, MrWookiee and wabash slim like this.
  12. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Why haven't I seen you at the meetings?

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve spent the last two weeks reconfiguring a Cisco Meraki Ethernet switch that was doing the same thing. I couldn’t get it to “forget” it’s old config, even after several resets to factory settings. I finally got it zeroed out, but like so many “smart” products, it wasn’t all that smart.

14. scrimmer

scrimmer Gretschie

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Gargantuan Hairdo!?

BeehiveHairdo.jpg

15. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Yup. I changed routers and SSID so I had to reset the Sonos speakers. I ended up doing the 'hold multiple buttons down' procedure as described in the link above. (shown below)
    1. press and hold the Play / Pause or Mute button while reconnecting power.
    2. Continue holding the button until the light flashes orange and white.
    3. The light will flash green when the process is complete and the product is ready to be set up.
    However, it was clunky as all of my speakers are on top of bookcases and the fridge. It defiantly could be easier. A while back Sonos backed away from a plan to abandon early models and essentially brick them. They faced a lot of backlash over that. Once working they are nice devices. I have three of them and I like going from room to room and not drop the podcast, news or music. You would need to be able to synch your blue tooth devices to avoid lag between devices. Luckily I have no plans to expand the system or replace it in the near future as any equivalent would be pricey. It is a challenge when one gets locked into a system.

16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    We did see him. He was at the "Luddites-R-Us Summer BBQ" wearing the tie-dye Deadhead shirt. You remember...

Craig Encinitas and new6659 like this.
  17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've slept since then.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Considering that I work in High Tech, I am an unlikely member in this club, but a fervent one. While I'm happy to work with very complex things, I endeavor to have the rest of my life be as free of complication as possible. High Technology is a tool that can be put to very good use, but it shouldn't be allowed to take over our lives. I hate the constant disruption that Social Media can cause in the lives of its acolytes. I'd be perfectly happy to have a wired phone in my home and to use my mobile phone solely for emergencies. I lived a great deal of my life without email or voicemail, and I'd be fine with going back to that life. If I ever get to retire, I'll back as far away from Technology as I reasonably can.

Craig Encinitas and new6659 like this.
  19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The last thing I really want is a computer connected to anything and everything. I don't want one in my car, and I really don't see the need for one in a toothbrush or air freshener. I just got rid of my landline a few months ago, mainly as I got mostly spam and marketers, and the cost didn't justify the use. I'd cut the cable if we didn't have only a choice between two TV stations---one bad, and the other worse. G-T (and TGP) is as involved as I get online; that, Imgur and yootoob. I don't game, tweet or any of that, and I dumped Facebook after a month of inanities. I don't want a smart house, I don't need some disembodied voice doing things (and listening to every conversation). I want to simplify, not complicate, my life.

new6659 likes this.
  20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    In the business world of today, people live on MS Teams, Zoom or other collaboration tools and it can become a constant stream of reminders and other distractions. In this environment, it becomes a necessity to schedule appointments for mere phone calls. Somehow, it all works, but I suspect that in the long run, it will be seen as a failed experiment.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.