I thought this video would be absolute horror

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by juks, Oct 1, 2021.

1. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    But he actually makes interesting points. And is very correct about how awful autotune is for blues. And how something is lost when it's used. However, for me personally, autotune has no place in music. If you can't sing at all, then don't. And if you are little off here and there, it's just part of the enjoyment. Nobody needs to be perfect as nobody is.

Floo, Mogg, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo this doesn't prove much. The pitch correction here seems cheap and unintelligent. Pitch correction depends on knowing what the correct pitch is. Using a smartphone app on auto pilot will result in the app correcting to the wrong pitch. I can imagine that a professional engineer remastering the track could produce better results, if not necessarily better track

Pitch correction, like PLEK, is a tool. A tool is only as effective as the user.

4. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    In about 1980 I used to hang around with Tommy DeVito at a recording studio here in Las Vegas. (He had an ear like Randy on American Idol) It was long before auto tune. He had someone recording a commercial and the singer kept going flat on one note. The studio owner was at the board and told them he could fix it. After some knob twisting the playback was spot on. I don't pretend to know how he did it, but he said it happens often and it was easier to fix it than redoing it.

5. Mogg

Mogg Electromatic

Apr 9, 2016
    UK
    He uses a smartphone app to extract the vocal track, but thereafter uses Melodyne for all the pitch correction. (Melodyne is the gold standard for studio pitch correction, right up there with Antares Auto-Tune)

Actually, I think once you get past the tongue-in-cheek video title, this is a really good tutorial in the subtle use of pitch correction vs aggressive use as an effect. It shows pretty clearly how the soul can be sucked out of a stellar performance with even some gentle pitch correction.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    juks likes this.
  6. nightchef

nightchef Electromatic

Jun 3, 2021
    Boston
    Seems to me that all this video shows is that pitch correction used crudely on music that doesn’t really call for it won’t improve the music, which is hardly news. (“Bad tuning sounds bad. Film at 11.”)

About the only performance here that I think correction was really called for on is WYWH, and what happens there is a good demonstration of how to do tuning wrong: taking the algorithm’s judgment of where the note belongs at face value. Gilmour here is attacking most of the notes with a big up/down swooping arc, and when singers do that, IME they’re usually aiming at a point slightly sharp. Often they aim a little too sharp and need to be pulled down a tick. But if you pull the note down all the way to where the algorithm tells you to, you’ll end up on the other side of the target and it will sound slightly flat. Pull it down just a wee bit, and voila! You get the singer’s intention, but executed better.

Pitch correction is always like this. To do it in a way that improves the music you have to do it manually, mindfully, and minimally, with a “first do no harm” mindset. And when you do that, the “uncanny valley” pretty much disappears.

Electrosynthesis, Henry and juks like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, with Robert Plant, it doesn't really improve anything and kind of removes some of the magic. I'm also liking Sinatra better without the correction.

The problem is that pitch correction finds a quantifiable place to take the notes and it's way of taking it there has a lot to do with how good or bad it sounds. I've heard pitch correction that wasn't nearly as drastic as this video.

But generally, no interest in auto tune here.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    juks likes this.
  8. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Autotune and aligning drums to a grid are both great ways to wreck the feel of a human performance. IMHO

Floo and juks like this.
  9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    If it sounds good before fiddling with it, don't fiddle with it.

juks and bhatta like this.
  10. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Completely agree.
    I won't even listen to the auto-tuned version!
    I have no clue what they do in songs nowadays but that's why I stay far away from current chart toppers...

The people we listen to, I like to take it with the inherent flaws, if at all there are any !!!

Cheers

juks likes this.
  11. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    I liked the part when he talks to the vocal teacher, and she notes how people are losing contact with what a real voice sounds like, because we mostly hear recorded examples, sometimes heavily processed.

I think a parallel can be made to guitars, as most people only know what a guitar sounds like on record, not live. For a long time I didn't have an amp, and played only through monitors and amp sims. When I finally got an amp, it was quite different, and took some time getting used to.

bhatta and juks like this.
  12. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I agree, she had interesting insights I had not thought about.

Electrosynthesis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.