I think im addicted to tube amp building

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’d love to build one but I’m afraid of soldering. One time I tried it, I literally nearly burned the house down. I should take a class. Nice work.
I'm an "adequate" solderer... I'm usually more afraid by the complexity or the level of detail in most projects. I just assembled a pedal kit, and for this project I borrowed some liquid flux from a buddy at work and it made a world of difference.
Get some flux. Use a decent iron with a fairly thin tip, and thin solder.

Winnie Thomas

Synchromatic
Jun 13, 2011
Cochise AZ
If I may make an observation:

You mounted the PT very close to the end of the chassis. I usually leave at least an inch between the PT and the end of the chassis. IT's helpful for clearance should you decide to put it into a cabinet that is just as wide inside as the chassis.

Other than that observation, very nice work. I particularly like the purple :)

Dana Rudd

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2019
Greybull, WY
Congrats on your amp build, I bet it's a type of therapy to enjoy. Keep on building.

I wish I could build amps. Eyes are to bad and hands shake like mad.

garagegods

Electromatic
Sep 30, 2021
Los Angeles

You mounted the PT very close to the end of the chassis. I usually leave at least an inch between the PT and the end of the chassis. IT's helpful for clearance should you decide to put it into a cabinet that is just as wide inside as the chassis.

you are correct! the tubes are too close together but i just said F it and will see how it works out down the road. I have had it on for several hours and don't notice any more heat than other tube amps. thanks for the critique always need improvement!

garagegods

Electromatic
Sep 30, 2021
Los Angeles

purple was not intended originally a seafoam green but the paint was lousy and kept checking, so i grabbed some left over eggplant color lacquer i used to paint my daughters guitar with and am happy with the change, but thanks!

garagegods

Electromatic
Sep 30, 2021
Los Angeles
I can't wait to build an amp. I got a pedal kit to learn how to solder first. But before I do that, I'm going to learn to unsolder a board I pulled from an old tv. I just need a free weekend!
De Soldering is harder than soldering, I learned years ago working in a recording studio as a runner, the owner liked my good eye sight back then, and had me de solder and remove all the bad capacitors on a 60 channel NEVE VR console. also learned to solder. its actually meditative looking at the solder flow. I dont mess with flux just use a good solder with flux in it and look for shining solder joints:D

Last edited:

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
That looks great. If too loud, you could maybe use an attenuator?

I have done some basic electric guitar/bass wiring, I always forget to clean and tin the solder tip when I am done and then have to really grind it down before I start another project.

I am planning to make a speaker cabinet over my holiday break from work, just passive non-powered, to use as an extension with a combo amp. The woodworking part won't be that hard, but I hope to cover it with Tolex/vinyl and hope that process goes well, it could turn into a sticky mess! I hope I have time and determination to commit to actually starting that project, I just have to clean off my work bench first.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I first learned to solder when I was around 10, asked Dad to teach me because I wanted to build slot cars.
Got lucky when I joined the Navy and was trained as an Aviation Electronics Tech. Attended a soldering school that was a week of soldering 8 hours a day.
A lot of the gear I worked on in the Navy was old and I bet that 50% of my time was spent fixing bad solder joints. Military aircraft vibrate a lot (not cushioned like civilian planes) and imperfect solder joints go bad.

Some of the videos experts are horrible at it. Phil McNight, for example, adds solder to a lug, heats it up and sticks the wire through. Absolutely the worst way to do it.

Desoldering is easy with a solder sucker. Sometimes the braid doesn't get it all but a good sucker is amazing, everyone should own one. If it does not get it all just add more solder and try it again.
One of the best and what the military buys: Amazon.com: EDSYN DS017 The Original Deluxe Solder Sucker SOLDAPULLT : Tools & Home Improvement
I don't even own any of the braid anymore, it doesn't always work well.

Edit: and I should add that cheap solder suckers don't have a guide for the plunger, Guaranteed to poke you in the eye! The model I recommend has a guide that pops back out after you **** it, those that don't should be illegal.
Edit again: I'm laughing that it censored my last line. The word is what you do before you can fire a gun, also a male bird, LOL.

Last edited: