I scratched my itch, the Esquire itch

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz

Esquires are a lot of fun. Great color and I like the all-maple neck!

Mine is a more modern take on the Esquire format, I crossed it with a Junior and run it with a 4-way switch to control individual bobbins of a hot 16kohm humbucker. This gives me an 8kohm Tele single coil that has all the regular Esquire Twang I could want.

img_20180629_083330.jpg

Try out the reverse control plate (V-T-Switch to the rear). Once I tried it I haven't gone back.

Well done.

Ironically my Tele was a Fender special run with a reversed control plate. It was my first Tele so I wanted it traditional and I flipped it back.

KreepyTeach

Gretschie
May 27, 2018
Brooklyn, Ny
I put an Esquire together a couple of years back. I didn't have the space to spray at the time, so I bought a pre-finished body. Wasn't my first choice as I didn't really want an aged body, but it kind of grew on me. Sadly it was also a very heavy body, so I've disassembled it and used the parts elsewhere now, but it looked great. The fat U '51 Fender MIM neck is really chunky and I refinished it in nitro and changed the Telecaster decal to Esquire.

View attachment 173485

Refinished headstock/neck, in aged tinted clear nitro:
View attachment 173488

I put an Eric Clapton mid boost in mine under the pickguard and the pickup is a tapped 'Oil City Diesel' which is a 9K or 6K winding (accessed by pulling the tone knob upwards. All very stealth and gave a much wider range of sounds than a single pickup guitar has any right to have. :)

View attachment 173486

Rather packed control route:
View attachment 173487
This thing is a sleeper! It's all under the hood! Did that battery ever knock around or did you wonder about accidentally shorting something with all the extra electronics?
I'm trying to stick a coil tap switch inside a guitar cavity, but I'm worried it will short out another lead too packed!

KelvinS1965

Gretschie
Jan 11, 2019
Wokingham
@KelvinS1965

Where did you get the water slide?

I got it from a place called Croxguitars. Initially tried sanding off just the 'Telecaster' bit, but wasn't happy it would look good, so just sanded the whole headstock face and fitted the whole decal. Since it's a Fender neck I can't see any issue before anyone gets grumpy with me. I might have to reverse the operation soon though as it's now fitted to a Telecaster. :oops:

This thing is a sleeper! It's all under the hood! Did that battery ever knock around or did you wonder about accidentally shorting something with all the extra electronics?
I'm trying to stick a coil tap switch inside a guitar cavity, but I'm worried it will short out another lead too packed!

No the battery was a pretty tight fit and I made sure that the deeper pull switch tone pot cleared it. I played a few gigs with it, so was confident that it wasn't going to cut out. I don't think I've replaced the battery more than once in 2 years and even then it was just a precaution as I had no idea how much charge it had left.

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
Got to work on my Esquier, all i need to do now is the wiring, gotta order all the good stuff, pots, switch, caps, knobs and whatnot. I put this no name hot 10k alnico in there for now and its pretty badass, drilled out the stock bridge plate for some compensated brass saddles, huge improvement over the six pot metal one's. 20220108_104955.jpg
The bridges on these Affinity's are an odd size and hard to find replacement's that cover the old screw holes, the Hipshot works on the top loader but not this one.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
Super cool Esquire, @radd ! :cool::cool::cool:

upload_2022-1-8_20-12-23.png

There's no (affordable = Squier) "Fancy Colors" Esquire in LH available... :(

What I could do is starting from my current CV50 Tele Squier and "Esquire-Ize" it, with the option of "Stra-Ize" it :

nBddJb-123PU.jpg

A+!

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-9_0-0-34.png
    upload_2022-1-9_0-0-34.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 1