I played with Elliot Easton last night!

Crooner

Friend of Fred
Apr 15, 2009
Boston
As some of you may know, I'm playing and singing in a Cars tribute band called Panorama and recently, the band's keyboardist and I were contacted and asked to play with Elliot Easton and backing band as part of a multi-band show on Long Island, NY. Originally, only my keyboardist was asked, but when Elliot and the promoter saw our promo video and watched me sing Drive, they asked that I come along and sing that song as well as Bye Bye Love and play guitar on the whole set to help keep the tunes faithful to the originals.

The Cars have one of my favorite bands since my high school days and Elliot has always been a huge guitar hero of mine. Meeting him and getting the chance tom play and sing with him, talk guitar parts, gear and life in general was an amazing experience. He was down to earth, extremely warm and friendly and couldn't have been a more gracious guy. It was one of those rare opportunities one gets to share the stage with a hero and it turned out better than one could hope.

No pics, no happen?

Pics!

Elliot and Darin 3.jpg Elliot and Darin 5.jpg Elliot and Darin 7.jpg
Elliot and Darin 1.jpg Elliot and Darin 3.jpg Elliot and Darin 5.jpg Elliot and Darin 4.jpg

Attachments

• Elliot and Darin 2.jpg
    Elliot and Darin 2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 4

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Way cool - must have been a ton of fun!

The Cars ruled the world back in my college days. My wife was huge fan, got to see them live, front of stage experience for her. Rick Ocasek sweated on her! (She likes to tell that story) - LoL!

I didn't get to see them until many years later, when the New Cars toured with Todd Rundgren filling in for Rick. Todd did a good job, a lot better than expected. And wow - they just rolled out the hits - one after another, after another, after another. Gave me a whole new appreciation for how good they (and Elliott in particular) really were.

Congrats!

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Congratulations Crooner , that's fantastic . First Tommy Emanuel and now Elliot Easton .....who's next ? ( calling Paul McCartney calling Paul McCartney )
Well donne my friend . BTW - where were you on " the island " ?

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
Thank you for sharing this experience. What a great big ball of fantastic this is.

Would you mind sharing any details about the guitars and amps and all that? It would be fun to geek out about who played what, etc.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
As some of you may know, I'm playing and singing in a Cars tribute band called Panorama and recently, the band's keyboardist and I were contacted and asked to play with Elliot Easton and backing band as part of a multi-band show on Long Island, NY. Originally, only my keyboardist was asked, but when Elliot and the promoter saw our promo video and watched me sing Drive, they asked that I come along and sing that song as well as Bye Bye Love and play guitar on the whole set to help keep the tunes faithful to the originals.

The Cars have one of my favorite bands since my high school days and Elliot has always been a huge guitar hero of mine. Meeting him and getting the chance tom play and sing with him, talk guitar parts, gear and life in general was an amazing experience. He was down to earth, extremely warm and friendly and couldn't have been a more gracious guy. It was one of those rare opportunities one gets to share the stage with a hero and it turned out better than one could hope.

No pics, no happen?

Pics!

View attachment 180819 View attachment 180817 View attachment 180815 View attachment 180816

You went with the superb Paloma I see...great choice, and what a great night!!

Feynman

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2011
AZ
I'd be floating around the room for a year. You must be overjoyed. EE is such a guitar hero to many and by all accounts a really good guy. I'm happy for you.

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
if it were me the story would be “I used to play for The Cars”
Probably go on my gravestone too.
Great story

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@Crooner
Congratulations, what a tremendous experience, IMHO, Elliot Easton is so talented and gave the Cars their sound. I met the band at a meet and great before a concert. He was very approachable, and actually made you feel that he wanted to be there with the fans.

Thanks for sharing this with us.