I noticed this on my 6 month old 5230LH

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Bonux, May 1, 2021.

1. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I would guess it would be noticeable, yes. Does the cover fit easily in the cavity? That settles all plastic expanding or wood shrinking theories. Again, good luck!

2. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Warranty, good that you fixed it, but, if it's happened now it'll happen again.

3. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I experienced this on my G5220, which is the same body design and made in the same Chinese factory. The unfortunate truth is that the Chinese factory uses wet wood on these guitars, which subsequently shrinks substantially. The tight cavity cover routing then causes the covers to pop and not fit any more. I had to take mine off and sand a lot around the circumference to make the covers fit again.

It didn't seem to make any playability or other functional differences, but it was a pretty stark insight into the lack of care when producing these instruments. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had no problems, but we aren't among them. Though I bought mine used, I will no longer give Chinese Gretschs my consideration.

4. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Aha!

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Is it flat in the guitar(with screws loosened)?

Archtops likes this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The plate was not made right.
    I would contact Gretsch, send them the photo and request a new plate. Either that or there has been some serious wood shrinkage. No matter what the cause it is a defect and totally unacceptable. Gretsch should repair it under warranty if it's only 6 months old.

Archtops likes this.
  7. Bonux

Bonux Electromatic

May 1, 2021
    Belgium
    It's definately the body meetlat.jpg

I have submitted a warranty request at the retailer. I don't think I did anything wrong to cause this.

Archtops, Ricochet and Benturner83 like this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Do you monitor the humidity in your house? Dry Winter air can cause substantial wood movement. That isn't necessarily a warranty issue.

9. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    You didn't do anything wrong. Although some movement is expected, when wood is properly dried (usually to around 6-8% moisture content), it simply would not move this much under any circumstance outside of submersion or setting it outside in a Phoenix summer. The good news is that you've got the warranty process rolling, the bad news is that if they replace it you may very well get another 'wet' guitar. I imagine some would wonder how their hollow or semi-hollow Chinese guitars from that factory are perfectly stable, and the answer is that they are made of laminates (plywood) which is a far more dimensionally stable material than the solid wood that yours is made from. Ideally, your guitar (and mine apparently) were made from an anomalous batch of lumber and are the exception rather than the norm.

I wish you the best of luck in your warranty claim - please keep us posted.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wow, I’ve never seen anything like it. That is not scraping the barrel re timber selection. That must have been the barrel!

Stefan87 and MyGirlGretta like this.
  11. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    However you look at it, the plastic cover plate is too big for the cavity. I am sure if you contacted a Gretsch dealer they would be able to help you. A local sign maker would also be able to make you a replacement if you provided a pattern, which you could make yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.