I need you all to talk me out of something

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by THISISDINOSAUR, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. G5220WoW

G5220WoW Electromatic

I've gotta go with the majority here. DON'T DO IT !
    I just bought a G5220 ($450) and it's a brilliant guitar.
    If you think the Magpie is worth 20 times that then I guess you should go for it but I can't see it myself (especially if you've only seen it on the net and have never touched one)

new6659 likes this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If it’s because you’re a huge Magpie fan of the actual bird... I’d just get a custom pickguard of a magpie and call it good. If you’re a huge fan of the artist and actual guitar than that’s another story. A plus on the the pickguard is that would open the possibilities to lots of Gretsch’s in other price ranges too.

section2 likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Will it do anything you can't already do with another guitar? In not, let it go.

4. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

If you are going to do it on finance, is there a way to do it interest free? If a vendor doesn't offer an interest free promotion, consider getting a new credit card with a zero interest introductory rate if possible? I really hate paying interest on guitars (I do it sometimes, but really hate it). I love buying them on time with zero interest though!

Gretsch Kiwi and Bertotti like this.
  5. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Yes it is a limited run of 25 guitars but it isn't what I would have designed/ordered.

6. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    nice guitar...if ya want it..get it..enjoy it

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have financed luxury items in the past with credit cards. I have been working on eliminating all credit cards. I did finance my Broadway Jade Penguin with ZZounds 0% interest 12 payments. If you have the money to do this at 0% I would say that is the only way to finance but better yet pay the monthly fee to yourself for six months minimum and see how tight it is at the very least you can pay half up front and reduce the monthly payment by half still at 0%.

T Bone likes this.
  8. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Well...doesn't work for me ...too much bling! Keep it simple, keep it sane!

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    If you fell hopelessly in love with it you don`t have another choice but buying it.
    When I want to own something eagery I always manage to drum up the money for it by selling something less desireable from my stable.

Bertotti likes this.
  10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    If you need to finance a guitar you might want to consider waiting until you have the cash.

You asked !

Merc, panhead6zero, toddfan and 2 others like this.
  11. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

If its like 8k new, you could get 5k maybe 6k if you need to sell. Can you afford to wite off 3k in a day?

On the other hand, it's flipping gorgeous.

panhead6zero likes this.
  12. This was going very well, until the last line. He might wind up financing two.

montereyjack66 and dak55 like this.
  13. G DynaTron

G DynaTron Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    France
    It's a very nice guitar, but the price is INSANE... you can have any other "special" Falcon (pink, blue, etc) for half that price :eek:

Make yourself a custom magpie pickguard, put it on a falcon and roll with it

Anyway you're good to buy your wife a Louis Vuitton "whatever she wants" thing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    section2 likes this.
  14. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are a diehard Rich Robinson/Black Crowes/Magpie Salute fan, maybe.
    I have a Signature Edition Eddie Cochran that I cherish but have to deal with never sig/anti-sig model individuals. I can explain that this is the way he did it however, I could be wrong, The Magpie is more of a concept or tribute guitar like a Steve Wariner Sig?

With Robinson's "Feather and Circle” symbol carved into the top, it makes it his model and a custom Falcon which in the Gretsch world is the highest compliment.

You just know it's gonna have 'That Great Gretsch Sound'!

15. EdwardsKim

EdwardsKim Gretschie

May 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Few things to consider...

For me, financing something pricey like that I would have to have 2 conditions:

1) Is this "the one" I must have?

2) If financing, is it 100% interest free if paid off in time?

I financed an LTV White Falcon from CME because I knew I could comfortably make the monthly payments with NO interest! And having played it for a week straight, I knew it was "the one".

Synchrony offers 100% interest free financing from 6-18 months, some 24 months depending on the $$$ of the item. We offer that at CME.

But with financing it is exempt from any sort of discounts, because we still pay the initial 3-8% interest rate for the customer. So "interest free" for the customer, not for the shop at the point of purchase.

With all that being said, if you find a good price on Reverb, go for it. But then can you have all the funds allocated and tied up at one time? For me, if these conditions are met, I would feel better about making the $75-200 monthly payments. You can always pay it off earlier, too.

16. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Well,for me ,if i can't pay off the CC bill in full when it comes,then i can't afford to buy it.

I won't finance anything.

And even though this is a limited number Custom Shop guitar,it will not hold it's value in the short term,none of them do,they're no different than a new car,you're losing money as soon as you leave the premises .

So no,i wouldn't buy it,nice as it is.But i'm not you sir!

section2, Robbie, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  17. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Don't do it if you have to finance it. You'll be paying for it long after the "new" wears off.

section2 and panhead6zero like this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I personally believe in the only thing I want to be in debt for is a house, otherwise if I don't have the money for something in the bank then I don't buy it, no matter how much I want it.

I would love to get a Chris Cheney signature model gretsch and found a great example for a bit higher price then I would've liked to pay but I didn't have the money so it didn't come to my house, I could have got a loan but as I said if I don't have the money I don't buy.

That is my opinion though, I too believe in living life and enjoying everything you want but do it wisely.

panhead6zero likes this.
  19. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Keeping it real.

20. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    That's a lot of scratch! I would say no! You can always make a decal...

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.