I need you all to talk me out of something

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by THISISDINOSAUR, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. THISISDINOSAUR

THISISDINOSAUR Electromatic

Oct 21, 2019
    London
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    CatTones, T Bone and Echocat23 like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Nope, won't do it. (Unless you really can't afford it.)

What'd you expect, we're all addicts here and that is the good stuff we all want!

RG7X, Tadhg, larryb and 2 others like this.
  3. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Well, think about this: what do you or your family have to go without to get this guitar? Can you go without it? Yes? Then get it. No? Then don't get it.

Have I talked you out of it?

Didn't think so. ;)

THISISDINOSAUR likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    larryb and THISISDINOSAUR like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    First off, Gretsch doesn't have a "solid spruce top" as they describe it. The top is laminated spruce.

Just me, but I wouldn't finance a guitar that's an artists signature with "his stuff" on it.

Actually, I won't finance any guitar. For me, they are enjoyable toys, and I won't finance any toy.

Probably the odd man out on my way of thinking, but, you asked! Lol

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Great guitar player. What are you waiting for? Wait...was there a question?

THISISDINOSAUR likes this.
  7. THISISDINOSAUR

THISISDINOSAUR Electromatic

Oct 21, 2019
    London
    Oh interesting, how did you know this?

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    O.K. ... first of all ...." talk me out of something " is the wrong title of this thread . The title of this thread should be ... " hey all you enablers , look at what I'm buying "
    I say go for it . You live once , and besides , it's a beautiful guitar

9. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    The G6040 and the (at least older 2003-2010) spruce top CCs have a very thin, 'reinforcing' layer glued to the underside of the spruce top. I don't know if they are doing this on this guitar but it seems likely.

Despite that 'reinforcing' layer, you still have to be careful with a spruce top. Like a solid top acoustic, the top will split if you don't take care of the humidity conditions at all times with the guitar. I have seen both 6040s and Clubs with split tops.

new6659 likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Borrowing money for an unnecessary luxury is straight up stupid IMO. What if you have an unexpected medical or car bill next week, or lose your job? Would you have to sell it at a loss and still owe money on it?

Alanqa, panhead6zero, toddfan and 2 others like this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    All the literature on this guitar says solid spruce top, which is different from most other Gretsches, but so is the price.

panhead6zero and Groutsch like this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yes, and unfortunately, that's how they have described the solid spruce top, which really isn't a solid piece or pieces of spruce.

It's not a hand carved, or cnc'd spruce, it's laminated.

new6659 and Henry like this.
  13. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Don't do it! It's just Groundhog hangover talking. Turn off the computer and walk away. Yes it's a nice guitar. And yes, you've come to a den of addicts looking for salvation! Who are you kidding? That's a LOT of $ for any guitar. How about you buy yourself a tricked out used Electromatic, and then use some of that dough to help feed some starving children or a war widows fund? I hear the notes are exactly the same, the sound is similar, you can change the strings if you don't like 'em, and you will strike a blow against 'tar-flation! OR, drink a few more beers and think about it.

G DynaTron and new6659 like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Isn’t this how they always did it? Solid spruce is hard to steam press into a “carved top”.

15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    My G6040JP was from 2004. It had a 'reinforcement' layer and several cracks. So the wood never split right open because the very thin layer prevented that.

16. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Pros:
    - Very cool guitar.
    - The color is gorgeous. One of the best I've seen them do.

Cons:
    - It has someone else's logo etched into the top.
    - There are other spruce top Falcons for way less money.
    - If you have to finance it you can't afford it.

Add up all the interest you'd pay and think about if you'd pay that much for something you know sells for less. Finance things that either earn/save more than they cost (will you make $9k with it anytime soon?) or that you can't get by without (can you live in it?). Not only are you overpaying for impatience, you're cutting down your monthly cash free flow, meaning it'll take even less to wipe you out quickly.

So save up for a few months. If it takes more than a few months to save that much, then you really can't afford it in the first place. This isn't rocket surgery.

I'm all for accumulating awesome guitars... but do it right.

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Make sure you contact forum member @EdwardsKim before you buy. He will get you the best price and he says this guitar is in stock at Chicago Music Exchange.

G5422T likes this.
  18. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    To me, that is custom shop money.

19. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Maybe it's just me, but never having financed a guitar, I would go with the bird.

20. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    It is a custom shop guitar, isn’t it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.