I need a case now

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by nickurso, Nov 21, 2020.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’ll check into it and I agree I need a decent case for it. All my guitars have cases

CatTones likes this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Like Slim says, an Epi Kat case fits fine and is inexpensive.

nickurso likes this.
  3. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Gretschie

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    nickurso likes this.
  4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    One dealer had some really nice cases for about $90. I put one in the cart to buy and was a little shocked to see that shipping/handling was also $90. I passed.
    So many places offer free shipping that I'm used to it and expect it.

mrfixitmi and nickurso like this.
  6. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I recently got a Glarry case for my Tele copy.... and agree that it's worth it! Sure, I'd never ship or do heavy traveling with it, but the guitar was a recovered $60 purchase so I wasn't about to spend much more for a case! ....case cost $59 and not dissappointed at all! (BTW, yes it locks.... cheap, but it locks!)

7. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I bought a pre-owned Ovation acoustic electric back in 2019. The case was close to the price of the guitar. That's just the nature of the beast. I could've gone with a more affordable case too. In the end I bought the Ovation case that was specifically made for it as the guitar is a super shallow bowl. My take on it, if the guitar is worth protecting, buy the case that you want for it up front and not regret that decision. I haven't regretted that decision to protect the guitar with the case that was made for it. Sure it was a few dollars more, but I figure over the life of the instrument, and let's say it's another 25-30 years, that case ends up costing $ 30 more today or so, that's $ 1 more it cost per year, certainly not enough to matter in the grand scheme of costs of ownership. Should I sell it, now I have the Ovation guitar & Ovation case as a selling point to recoup a higher selling price point. At the prices that better cases go for, instrument protection is always the foremost concern, pay enough for a case, protecting the case becomes important as well. And it should be that way, because the less damage a case shows, the better the care & transportation of the instrument inside the case.

BTW, Road Runner has a molded hard case for under $ 100 on sale. Shop around.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner/RRMEG-ABS-Molded-Electric-Guitar-Case.gc

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  8. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    The Glarry case pictured in the other posts has a lock on the middle latch that looks at least to be travel luggage quality for that much additional security. Not a Gator TSA case level lock system. I'll admit, if I were to buy a 3rd party case for any guitar brand, Gator has to score the highest. Road Runner seems to be a more affordable alternative. With the Ovation situation, it is a unique acoustic electric with the super shallow bowl that an exact match for fit was peace of mind. I was really going after Gator or Road Runner and then the Ovation exact fit case came up in my search and at the price it was, it really wasn't a hard decision to match guitar & case brand.

https://www.gatorcases.com/ata-tsa-guitar-cases/

Flouswa, mrfixitmi and nickurso like this.
  9. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Well, I'm going to guess the Tele and the D'Angelico 12 string??? But it's a wild guess. I'm currently contemplating a new Tele Thinline and if it works out as well as my current Tele, I'll probably sell it. I wasn't prepared to A) like it as much and B) end up playing it so much that it made my neck injury flare up! So I have to look at a lighter weight option. Currently playing my modded 2655 minus the T most of the time but missing my Tele big time!

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I agree with both your assessment on Gator and Road Runner, I have both.

nickurso likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No , never had a D'Angelico , thought about it though . I still have my Gretsch Electromatic 12 and my Martin 12 . Sold the Tele and the Jet I had to a member here . Still waiting on his NGD thread

nickurso and Flouswa like this.
  12. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Did you sell the Jet due to the weight as well? I played one and loved it, but again, way too heavy! Stupid neck injury. I spent most of this past year playing an acoustic because of it.

nickurso likes this.
  13. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Pawn shops....scored a molded tsa fender case for a C note. Once scored a 59 tele case for $10 and flipped it for $350......good deals to be found. Other tip go in pawn shops on the first of the month with cash in hand. Many deals to be had when they are scrambling for the rent.

nickurso likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No , weight was fine for me . Just sitting in the closet too long and the buyer really liked it a few months back when he saw it . He asked to be the first on the list when I was ready to sell .

Flouswa and nickurso like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.