I might be a glutton for punishment...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by mr coffee, May 6, 2021.

1. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    181454160_1274070466328361_4332069033778786232_n.jpg

That's a .090" slab of aluminum. Somehow, .090" feels like it's gonna be a lot more work when it's aluminum, as opposed to plastic.

I would have ordered one somewhere, but the body takes the old 8-hole pattern and the only HH guards I could find in aluminum were 11-hole. I pondered the 11-hole option but really don't know if there's enough meat left under all of the holes after my teenage overzealous router job, it's a swimming pool and then some and it's still heavy as hell.

Besides, someday I might order the reproduction F400T loaded pickguard. I've thought about trying to get an original but they're all 40 years old and the polepieces are rusting and the windings are damaged or soon will be and they need to be re-wound, so might as well be one step ahead for half the price.

For now, though, I know I'll get more use out of the HH configuration. I tried to salvage the p'ups out of Yeller, a Tone Zone/Air Norton set, but the TZ is trashed. Just another reminder of how I shouldn't have done it...Anyway, the TZ would probably be way too dark in this axe, it's a one-piece mahogany body with a one-piece rosewood top. I'll be ordering a PAF Pro, I think.

-m

Henry and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks like you’re halfway there.:)

To paraphrase(horrendously, I assure you) famous Italian Youtuber and renaissance man Michelangelo: The statue is in the stone, I’m just setting it free!

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  3. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Take your time on the bench. Use a stainless steel pick to uniquely relic it.

mr coffee likes this.
  4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    "The way to carve a statue of a horse is simply to chop away everything that doesn't look like a horse"....

cowmoo, CBHScott, drmilktruck and 2 others like this.
  5. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    mr coffee likes this.
  6. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Oh, not even close LOL! 'Tis but a scratch...

-m

Ricochet likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It'll look cool. You can't order pickgurads without any holes, and then drill yourself?

mr coffee likes this.
  8. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Nothing reasonable. I found a site that would custom do aluminum guards but they start around $100. I'll cut it myself before I spend that, I'm not in a huge hurry. Slow and steady roughing in with the Dremel and clean up on the spindle sander - one of the only big tools I still have around. I don't guess that'll work for the pickup holes, I can use sanding drums on the Dremel and finish it up by hand. Probably use a circle guide to find centers for the corner radii and drill those first. (Really wanted to type radiuses but spell check said @#$% that noise.) I'm eyeballing cheap 8-hole guards, snag one and see how it lines up on my body, then use it to locate the holes on the aluminum.

Still trying to decide how I want to approach vol/tone placement, and weighing the switch. Might go with a 3-way lever, I never really get use out of the in-between options. Yeller was set up with a superswitch, I think it was bridge series, bridge parallel, bridge series + neck series in parallel, outer pair series, neck series. It all sounded good but I typically go all in on bright bridge series or warm neck series. Plenty of time to think about it.

-m

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.