I may have just done something rash

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:32 PM.

1. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Country Gent

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Congrats on your incoming purchase!

Part of my problem is a love everything that goes on around guitars, as well as just playing guitar. Reading about them, being on forums, looking at pictures, it's that part of my guitar enjoyment that leads to the inevitable unplanned GAS strike. Like when you see the dream guitar you've wanted for years at 25% off.. and even though you've said no more guitars repeatedly... you buy it for fear of NOT buying it.

It's a NGD for me today.. but it's in its box unopened (since 10am this morning) as I have builders in the house until Sunday.

2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I really do have all the guitars I ‘need’…but there’s a couple of things that I cant do with the ones in my collection having sold a bunch over the last couple of years. So this one will fill a hole (more of a divot than a gaping chasm).

Mr Swisher likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz

I admire your ability to rationalize, sign of a true addict. :D

Mr Swisher and mbkri like this.
  4. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I feel your pain. I've made my share of alcohol-related purchases ("They seemed like such a good deal at the time!"), but I've managed to sell or forget about them. The most impulsive thing I ever did was to go to Guitar Center in Hollywood on one of the holiday sales they used to have and I walked out with TWO Gretsches, a 6120N and a 7593 White Falcon. I remember standing at the counter for what seemed like an eternity while they looked up my Gear Card and hemmed and hawed about raising my credit limit that hight. I later returned the Falcon, but walking down Sunset Blvd. with a new Gretsch case in each hand was a feeling you don't get too often in your life, and I loved that. Sanity returned by the time I got home.

JC higgy, Mr Swisher, mbkri and 4 others like this.
  5. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    ...ah...it's a Gretsch....but did you 'win' a Gretsch drum kit????

Exactly how many beers were under the belt?

Or are you unable to report with any accuracy?

mbkri and section2 like this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I dont know if ive ever been drunk enough to buy a drumkit. And ive been pretty drunk in my youth. This wasnt alcohol induced. This was more of a
    “That was a bat crazy week of teaching and some of these students are so annoying…. I deserve another guitar’ kind of thing

section2, Trash Kidd and Mr Swisher like this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I have a bulletproof method that allow me to constantly surf the net looking for guitars and buying none: I keep all my guitars cases in the same room where my pc is.
    Every time something new, fancy or with a bargain price appears on the website I’m checking and I’m about to pull the trigger, I give a look at all the unopened cases (most of them for months) and that gives me a spark to move on to the next website until I’m satisfied watching stuff and start piano practice. :D

capnhiho, section2 and mbkri like this.
  8. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    That would be a dream shipment price for me. The stuff I used to buy off Ishibashi to UK were double that.

9. Its
    just not right to see this thread title appearing
    under a clickbait banner ad that is advertising hillbilly photos with a young lady in a tube top looking back.

Oop. Now it changed to an ad that says
    Skip Guitar Theory

The line remains disturbing.

mbkri likes this.
  10. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    My previous wife was a teacher before she got sick. We didn’t have a kid then, so her Summers were free.

The year she discovered Ebay and said she was going to complete the set of my Grandmother’s china, I was fine with it at first. However, my Grandmother had many sisters who had died before her, and like many people who remembered the Great Depression, never threw anything away. Besides a couple of china sets, there was a hodgepodge of many random single pieces she had inherited. Denice got hooked, and eventually started hunting complete sets of EVERYTHING. Yikes!

mbkri likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    That`s what they call individualized advertisement.:p

mbkri likes this.
  12. Funny hillbilly photos. What are they trying to tell me?
    There were just so many disturbing jokes in there, if I include phrasing…

It worked. I have not bought another guitar yet.

capnhiho and mbkri like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well its too late now. Shipped

section2 and Runamok like this.
  14. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Hey, I still remember the day I bought my Gretsch drum kit. I was 16, stone cold sober, and over the moon. It still stands as the best gear purchase I've ever made.

But then I'm a drummer masquerading as a guitarist, so I have a slightly different view of how advisable it is to bring a drum kit home. :D

Teledriver and mbkri like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.