I may have just done something rash

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Jan 13, 2022 at 7:32 PM.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Busy day today. Actually it’s been a busy week. I’m kind of frazzled. Came home and sat on the couch underneath a warm cat and jumped in on an eBay auction I never thought I’d win. And I won.

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I've been there too. Many of my guitar purchases were a predictable result of Pinot Noir glow.

3. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Ive come upstairs to my studio for a different perspective. Im now sitting under a different cat on a different couch. Still dont know quite how that happened.
    NGD on the way.

4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I confess to being a dangerously impulsive buyer. I have to consciously exercise self-disipline by delaying purchasing decisions on anything that isn’t immediately essential. I quit browsing eBay years ago because of my compulsions.

Duo Slinger, radd, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    What is it?

Gasee likes this.
  6. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well of course I’m not going to spoil the NGD announcement….but i will say its a GRETSCH!

GlenP, ZackyDog, Mr Swisher and 5 others like this.
  7. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    I have been a Gas Addict since Walter Becker first coined the Term... of course he was referring to Gear acquisition - which later became Guitar acquisition... I'm like Jelly Roll stay off the Bay and Verb...

radd and mbkri like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Sound advice Gasee. Sound advice, but too late.

Gasee and section2 like this.
  9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Years ago, a friend of mine said there needed to be a breathalyzer for your computer to prevent questionable spending decisions.

giffenf, Gasee, AllenK and 8 others like this.
  10. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Buzz buying. Boldly buying when you normally wouldn’t. Sure, I can understand this but be very cautious about Sleep Buying! You know, when your mouse is hovering over the Buy Now button and you’re almost asleep and accidentally add the item to your cart..let’s zee-zzzz zzz-New Tezla-zzzz-Leather Seatz-zzzzzz-20” wheelz zzzz….zz

11. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    ....at 3am!!

mbkri and audept like this.
  12. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    I used to enjoy the delight of staying up late and bidding on auctions in UK, Europe, and (when the exchange rate was favourable) in the US. I used to have multiple pages of an auction open so that I could instantly tab to a new page and bid if I got outbidded.

It was fun for a while until the advent of sniping tools. Glad the OP got hos catch.

mbkri likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Blame the cat.
    Rash? They make a lotion for that.
    My Dad said that nothing good happens after midnight.

Runamok, KaHOnas and mbkri like this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I remember buying a Tokai Strat on eBay some years ago. The price was o.k..
    The seller wrote me an email:
    "Dear Frank, I am selling from Japan and the shipping costs will be around USD 150 for the insured instrument. Since the guitar is only USD 300 I thought that I better ask you before shipping whether you are still interested in the deal. It would be no problem for me if you would withdraw your offer...."
    What a gentleman.

15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  16. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Enjoy your new Gretsch. If you've snagged a bargain the worst outcome is that you'll probably be able to at least break even if you decide to move it on.

mbkri likes this.
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Sounds like you did what I did to win my Jackson KV2 USA model. Saw this 3 month old like new guitar on ebay for bidding with No Reserve starting at 1500. So I laid down, 1600. What the heck, someone would come by and bid more and get it. 5 days later, no one did. So I scored a brand new guitar for used price. It was pretty sweet. Not an expense I was planning on.... but one I'm glad I ended up getting.

section2 and mbkri like this.
  18. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I think im going to delete Ebay from my phone.
    Its like living in a guitar shop!

section2 likes this.
  19. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I did have that problem! Somehow I don't suffer from the Gas anymore, it might have to do with being over 71 now, and having plenty of guitars around here.
    Once though, I was a cruising Ebay for a specific all-Koa Carvin model and two of them showed up on the 'Bay at the same time. Both of them met the specs I was looking for, their only difference was once was an HSS and one had twin humbuckers. I bid on both of them hoping I could score one of them and ended up with the two! Oh well, I still have them and enjoy them, great guitars and so well made.

Archtops, section2 and mbkri like this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool!

I'm not so impulsive these days,infact I tend to dither about until some other bugger buys it from under me!

I do still cruise all the used geets across several shops and Ebay,Reverb ,Gumtree and so on,on a daily basis.

I must be getting soft though as I let most of them go.

Archtops, mbkri and Mr Swisher like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.