I Love Rock n Roll - But What Is It?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    IMHO, maybe they should just call it the "Rock Hall of Fame."

Reasoning:

Early rock and roll eventually splintered into different styles within the genre like acid rock, punk rock, country rock, rockabilly, etc.

What do you think?

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Rock doesn't fit a lot of artists there either. It's really the post-World War 2 Popular Music HOF, but that's not very catchy. Modern Music?

MrWookiee likes this.
  3. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA

4. Mark 6120

Mark 6120 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    DFW
    To me, Big Joe Turner singing "Roll 'em Pete" in 1938, with just piano accompaniment, is rock and roll. Yes, it is boogie woogie, but it is the same beat, same rhythm structure. Listen to some of the blues recordings from the 20"s, including Louis Armstrong. It is already starting there. It is, foremost, dance music. It really lost all of that in the 60's.

MrWookiee likes this.
  5. Blister

Blister Electromatic

Jan 2, 2021
    Upstate NY
    It is the everybody gets a trophy syndrome that's it I'm done I ain't saying nothing else.

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  6. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Huh?

Attendance trophies or participation trophies are pretty lame.

To be honest, graduation from school - not from university, that's a different thing in many regards - wasn't much more either ... I was there, didn't do much, graduated, that's about it.

It was pretty boring most of the time, but bearable some of the time. Some of the time, we made it bearable.

One time, our english teacher was getting divorced. She had slept badly that night, wasn't prepared too well and I got a VHS returned from a classmate, with Beavis and Butt-Head on it, in english of course. I suggested we might watch this. We did.

... was this Rock'n'Roll?

It was cool.

PlumaBlanca, MrWookiee and new6659 like this.
  7. NiterideGuitarist

NiterideGuitarist Electromatic

Jun 4, 2016
    Rochester, NY
    I admit it. I am (a part of) Rock ‘n Roll. Along w/ others in our group, we published a song. “...and it goes like this:” (pun intended!

“It takes an old man to teach you how to Rock & Roll, cause we’re the only ones left with a rock ‘n roll heart and soul! Key of Amaj 1,4, 5! Fast, upbeat all around feel-good music. That’s my Rock & Roll.

The Nominees list is terrible especially when there are so many not being recognized. I started playing guitar in 1958 (8 yrs old). I listened to it on an AM radio with a hissing interference squal in the background.

Blister and drmilktruck like this.
  8. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

Back when the R&R HOF opened, I couldn't wait for a chance to go there. Now, I couldn't give a rat's ass less if I ever go. Why? Without naming any names or singling any one out, IMHO, there are too many people in that don't belong there and too many that should be in that probably never will be. It's total BS!!! Just my opinion...

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN

PlumaBlanca, Randy99CL and MrWookiee like this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  11. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Guys , i have the solution !!!
    .... and if R'n'R was only and simply what any of us FEEL as R'n'R ??
    I'm getting old and i understood that putting music on a leash is only an unnecessary limitation .
    Strictly talking maybe Robert Johnson is not R'n'R , but .... how much R'n'R he thought , he sang and he played !!!!
    And the same for hundreds of great artists ....
    Is " Satisfaction " R'n'R' ?? Hardly , i think , but .....
    Let's Gretsch !!

12. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    You've inspired me to read this book (our Library has it)
    [​IMG]

13. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada

Sabato,

His music is fabulous.

As I mentioned, his complete catalog was available on CD , produced in 1990, double disc, 41 tracks, historical booklet.

Robert Johnson was the true ''Grandfather'' of what we know as rock-n-roll.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1332.JPG

Waxhead likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I always felt rock n roll was very specific and really only lasted 10yrs or so imo. Mid 50s to mid 60s. Elvis. Chuck. Little Richard. Jerry Lee. THAT stuff. That’s rock n roll. The Beatles started there, but were largely responsible imo for the shift AWAY from rock n roll. Others have impersonated rock n roll since.

new6659, KuKuKu and MrWookiee like this.
  15. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

I'm not sure. It's sort of a style, attitude and feeling. Just keep putting another dime in the juke box baby while we work it out.

MrWookiee likes this.
  16. Blister

Blister Electromatic

Jan 2, 2021
    Upstate NY
    1958 real rock and roll

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.