I Love Rock n Roll - But What Is It?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    To my mind "Rock" is a huge category with a hundred+ subcategories, but rock 'n roll is a tiny sliver of all the popular music of all time. By comparison, very few can/could rock 'n roll.

The HOF is much more Rock with a little RnR.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  3. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

A bunch of semi-illiterate wankers who want to get on stage and yell about good and bad things in their hardly interesting lives. Fast and loud. Mainly because that will attract free drinks, cools chicks and fat middle-aged men who come with big wallets and roadmaps to glory.

Gretschmen65 and MrWookiee like this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    upload_2021-2-17_16-16-28.gif
    upload_2021-2-17_16-16-42.gif
    upload_2021-2-17_16-17-3.gif
    RIP Lux Interior

Rock n’ Roll is best when it’s unhealthy.

A Hall of Fame takes something that’s beautifully grotesque and keeps it “respectable”.
    I find the whole thing offensive. Respectable and Rock n’ Roll shouldn’t go together, as far as I’m concerned.

Just my opinion.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The future of rock is certainly not assisted or progressed by being locked in the past :)

No rock is not dead but sadly ......it is greatly reduced imo
    And yes there continues to be new artists in the genre - just not as many as 20 yrs ago.
    And..... these bands are now very hard to find....

This new Rick Beato video features the current Rock Top 10 on Spotify.
    Except for Foo Fighters I'd never heard of any of the bands and I like every song Rick plays.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    drmilktruck likes this.
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I was lucky enough to do a live show with Bill Haley and the Comets in Melbourne, Australia back in the '70s. They were great musicians and great people to be around. After the show ended they set up a table right in front of the stage and signed autographs and albums for nearly an hour, staying until everyone was done. They had that old-school respect for their audiences that is so missing these days.
    In my own experience, Rock & Roll was what was on the Jukebox in the '50s jive joints I loitered about in my pre-teens. Joan Jett said it best: " I love rock'n'roll, put another dime in the jukebox baby"

new6659, Waxhead, MrWookiee and 2 others like this.
  7. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    It could be that certain post war automobiles bring out the best of early Rock and Roll. Check out Ike Turner circa 1952.

8. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah, that's why a lotta people or bands like the Sex Pistols didn't wanna be in it

9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I'll bite ...

It's not form nor structure nor tempo nor period nor phrase nor color. I agree that it's a lot of what it's not rather than what it is.

But ...

With that said, I'll proffer up that it kicks convention to the curb, shakes its fist at repression, extends its hand in invitation, purges up a primal scream with a wink and a smile while it loads us all into the back seat with the top down and barrels down the highway in a blur of sun and chrome on our way to a better disposition than we had at the start. And if it's Chuck Berry who takes you there or if it's Pat Boone who takes you there, then it's rock'n'roll to you and no one can take that away.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The second song is the best Rolling Stones song ever. (And I know it isn't The Rolling Stones. It's the song Mick and Keef wish they'd written, sung and played. :cool: Plus they never had a keyboard part like Mac added. )

Randy99CL and audept like this.
  11. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I think you have hit the nail right on the head. Rock'n'roll was about the dance - Jive.
    It grew out of the music which gave birth to the Charleston which morphed into the music which was backing Jitterbug dancing.
    The simplified combos allowed by the development of electric guitar and Bass moved it on and the fifties saw the Jitterbug steps incorporated into Jive.
    Rock and Roll was used to describe the newer abbreviated dance. It continued into the sixties with Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and the like.
    IMO the music died about the time of the British invasion. The beats now meant you couldn't jive to the music and club dancers stood in the middle of the floor
    wriggling their backsides and wondering what to do.
    Even the heavy rock groups like ACDC didn't bring back or support jive.
    What happened after might be Rock but for me it is never gonna be rock'n'roll if you can't Jive to it.

12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yep!
    Another great Faces song, and something not touched on...Rock "n Roll was all about getting young women naked. LOL!! And BTW, it still works with women my age.
    The Faces - You're So Rude - YouTube

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Balls, it has balls.

And BTW women too can have balls, in music.

14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Well that's the irony. When rnr first came out it was mostly piano and sax driven. so maybe anything that is guitar focused is just a pale imitation and not real rnr.:rolleyes:

Everything changes over time. Where and when one decides to stop everything and say, "that, there, is right, and everything else is wrong" is arbitrary and imo ultimately subjective and usually strongly related to what was popular when the speaker was a certain age. To me, the question is one to be explored, not answered definitively.

Here's a perspective. Rock and roll was the repackaging and rebranding of various genres of predominantly black music for a predominantly white audience.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Waxhead, MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Amy Rigby wrote a song about that.

16. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Link Wray is rock & roll. The RRHOF is not rock & roll

calebaaron666 likes this.
  17. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

It's Rocknroll if there's some Chuck Berry inside.

18. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Well, it sure as heck isn't Dionne Warwick! What's she doing on the nominee list? LoL!

Waxhead likes this.
  19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Like many things today the people running the Rock N Roll hall of fame have lost their way. Lost sight of the original intent of what the Rock N Roll HOF was about.
    They've become politically correct and have decided to include everybody into their club.
    It's not just the HOF. Look at all awards , Country Music Awards, American Music Awards,
    Grammy Awards, Academy Awards, Nobel Peace Prize - it's all a scam, a big joke and a waste of time.
    It's almost as bad as Time Magazine's Person of the Year Award or Rolling Stone Magazine's top vocalist, top guitar player award.
    I just shake my head and laugh.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    As far as the Rock and Roll hall of fame goes, I think the term is being used generically to cover all aspects of popular music. I guess Rock and Roll hall of fame is snappier than "Prog-punk-Motown-rock-country-pop-jazz-funk-disco-indie and Roll hall of fame."

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.