I love my Black G5422T but Fully Hollow may not be for me...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by alexleegrubaugh, Dec 29, 2020.

1. alexleegrubaugh

alexleegrubaugh Newbie

Nov 19, 2020
    PETOSKEY
    I've had this for a couple of years and recorded a pretty great pop/rock album with it as well.

https://ffm.to/sincerelyyours

I keep modding it, trying different pickups (my addiction). BUT It does not get along with my modeler at all, so I have just been using my Telecaster live. Lately I've thought I should get a semi-hollow version, I bet it would be a lot less boomy. I love Filtertrons but I think it's all the low end I can't seem to dial out on my rig. We have a bunch of 90s rock covers and older songs from a pop-punk band we used Gibsons on that were high gain. I personally like the feel and how it looks on me as well so it just may be a perfect scenario. Semi-Hollow instead. Some have said a 335 would be more up my alley, but I'd rather not support that company in any way shape or form. Not crazy about the PAF sound either. Thoughts? Does this forum have a trade/sell section? lol

Through several pickup changes this is what it has now:
    Bridge Pickup: TV Jones HiLo'Tron
    Neck Pickup : GF'Tron Vintage (Wired with only one coil active)
    Tusq nut
    TV Jones wiring inside the body
    Bridge is pinned

[​IMG]

ZackyDog, David_GS, MrWookiee and 2 others like this.
  2. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    Welcome!
    I'm sure others will give you better advice/info...

but have you considered the G5622? It's the center-block Gretsch model closest to your 5422.

Older models came stock with SuperHiLotrons. Production got moved this year to a new factory and they now come with different pickups, don't remember which

GlenP likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have the same guitar and love it.
    But I wouldn't like it with the pups you have or a modeler either :D

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    In my ToneMaster Deluxe reverb I often have the bass control set to zero, to counteract the warmth of my G5420. Sounds great there though!

5. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I own TWO of those along with a couple of other hollowbodies AND a few centerblocks. AND some planks. And I played bass for a long time too. Mainly, you want to interrupt a feedback loop. There are a LOT of variables. Sometimes, the type of music you play or it's the amp that you play or the volume you prefer to play at (as opposed to NEED to play at). Very often, it's the room acoustics/amp positioning. I suspect Centerblocks may be the ticket, but before you go chasing your tail, get two or three amps and position them around the room (better three rooms) and see what happens. Some rooms are always bad. Some change when the room fills up. Some, just need you to pull your amp out ten inches and tilt it a wee bit. If it's overwhelmingly bad, get a plank or a centerblock. More likely, it will vary, and then you have to decide how much you love that tone and/or how much you like reliability and predictability. Then you grab your wallet and have a good time! Psst! There are Gretches with the f holes just painted on. 2x Pssst. You can obtain foam f hole blocks which do affect tone a little bit but do address the problems directly. OR, you could start playing full time gypsy jazz. Good luck!

MrWookiee and GlenP like this.
  6. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Remember too that a speaker swap can be a cost effective means of modifying the frequency response of your signal chain (certainly less expensive than replacing a fine guitar). Changing the design of the speaker cabinet (closed back, open back, or semi open) can have a pronounced effect on the apparent bassiness as well. I use a 1x12 and a 2x12 that are both semi open (2/3 closed, 1/3 open), and I still have to pay attention to the level, tilt, and distance from the wall to avoid boominess.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! How ya doin'?
    There are Gretsch center blocks. Jets are nearly solid, even tho chambered.
    Just add another to the herd. Easy peasy.

Ted Keane likes this.
  8. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    If i understand correctly he´s just not happy with the tone, not feedback problems.
    And if it is feedback problems you just need to learn how to deal with it, i use my 5120/5125/5420 for high gain and it works great!

Waxhead and montereyjack66 like this.
  9. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    What do you think about that GFS pickup?
    Sounds like you might just want different pickups.
    If so Tv Jones are some of the best pickups out there and there are so many different ones, pickups for all kinds of sounds.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    To start with, I'd reverse the pickups and put the Filtertron in the bridge and the HiLo in the neck-- unless, that is a a newer Super-Hilo double coil.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , that's a beautiful guitar . The " for sale / trade " section can be found by clicking the tab up top the one page where it says " forums "
    Look for " buy / sell / trade negotiations "
    https://www.gretsch-talk.com/forums/buy-sell-or-trade-negotiations.11/

12. alexleegrubaugh

alexleegrubaugh Newbie

Nov 19, 2020
    PETOSKEY
    Thanks for the responses guys! I think I will try swapping those pickups around and see. I'll probably still seek a G5622T, you were all great help.

Feel free to check that album out I linked in OP, the entire CD screams Gretsch filtertron tone that is super obvious through a Plexi with breakup. More obvious because it's pop/alt so you hear a lot of rang out chords. I'm extremely proud. https://ffm.to/sincerelyyours

See you in buy/sell/trade :-D

David_GS likes this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Alex!

alexleegrubaugh likes this.
  14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Alex, welcome to G-T. Nice G5422T, good luck in your quest for the tone you seek.

15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Oh, put a sock in it.

Seriously, just take a couple of those stockings down from the wall and put one in each f-hole, that should pretty much take care of it.

(I know, too late now, but could not resist. A centerblock would probably work great. A smaller single-cut option is the G5655T)

Really nice music on your album.

Sincerely yours!

Mystic38 likes this.
  16. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    That's a great looking guitar. I'm listening to the album now, thanks for posting a link. I think it's cool things like this to hear the different tones in the song. Nice work!

17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If a hilotron is boomy, something is wrong with the pickup or the setup.

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hey Glen - I hear ya but it's not needed imo.
    I play my 5422 often thru a high gain Mesa Mark V.

It only feedsback a little and is easy to control - fun too.
    That is - when you use 2 x filtertrons pups.

Centreblocks in Gretsch make the guitar too heavy imo :)

Marv666 likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I had a hollow body once I liked it messed with it with some flats and then hated it. What strings are on it?

One thing I realized is for electric I like hollow bodies sometimes but generally prefer solid and chambered. Which is why I have Strats a Lotus and my Penguin! I put some TI Jazz swing flats on my Penguin and a Strat and the TI Jazz BeBop on the other Strat and Minarick. If I’m in a more hollow sound I use the flat strung if not the round wound. Both I believe are on round cores. Will I add another hollow body someday? Maybe. But it is not a burning desire. You might just be in. A similar boat. Love the idea of a hollow but really bond with solids or chambered. Maybe run to a shop and try a Jet or Penguin. Or try some brighter strings in a lighter set so the upper strings aren’t as big and deep sounding.

20. Paulie26

Paulie26 Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    The G5655 is a gorgeous and may suit. I used to have a 5420 but found it too combersome. I got a projet and like that. Recently i got the 5655 and its so comfortable and kind of offers a bit of the hollowbody world and a bit of the solid body world via the centre block

Mystic38 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.