I love guitars! One tone test to rule them all.

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by otisblove, Nov 24, 2020.

1. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Here's a little something I put together yesterday after wrapping up at home e-learning with my 4 kids for the day.

9 different guitars through the same amp. (Tube? Solid State? Computer simulation?) Only thing I did was try and get the volume the same for each guitar.

2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Cool, can definitely tell the difference, it's always subtle though.
    One thing I have noticed about speakers, amps, pickups and guitars ... is ....they sound quite similar in an on line comparison. But play a gig for an hour and you really know the difference. Certain songs and in the band etc seem to tell it all.
    Thanks!

Teledriver and otisblove like this.
  3. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Thanks for listening. I agree that if you are playing it or looking at it, it's pretty easy to tell what it is.

David_GS and GlenP like this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hilarious!!!

otisblove likes this.
  5. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Based on this demo all I can say is throw # 4 out- the rest I could EQ to satisfy.

otisblove likes this.
  6. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    I’m with you.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  7. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Could you please test 18 guitars the next time around? Did any of the nine have Barden pickups by chance?

otisblove likes this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Agreed on #4
    Wasn’t impressed with #7 which was probably something amazing like SRV’s favorite strat, but it didn’t seem to have any colour or character.
    Nice playing.
    So what were the guitars?
    I’d love to see them.

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The lack of a real mic'd tube amp in the chain made the sound of all those guitars boring to me.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'd rather play a cheaper guitar through an excellent tube amp than the other way around.

Bertotti and Waxhead like this.
  11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I took this to be an intentional farce given his comments at the end, so not sure he ever intends to share that.

mbkri likes this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Generally, I think this is very true.

13. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Gladly. They most certainly did not.

lathoto likes this.
  14. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    I’ll absolutely share what guitars I played. I wanted to see if anyone could guess what kind of body wood, fretboard or pickups they were hearing. I personally would take it as a fun little challenge.

Nobody will be mad at you if you guess wrong on all of them (except number 4- if you don’t get number 4 you should turn in your guitar player card).

stevo likes this.
  15. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    For anyone who may be interested, here are the guitars:

1. 1990 G&L ASAT - ash and rosewood - Rio Grande tallboy humbuckers
    2. 2008 Epiphone G-400 - mahogany and rosewood - Tonerider rebel 90 bridge and GFS mean 90 neck
    3. 2016 Gibson Les Paul studio 50's Tribute - mahogany and rosewood - 498T bridge and 490R neck
    4. 2018 Squier CV Strat body and Fender Player neck - alder and pau ferro - Fender vintage noiseless single coils
    5. 2020 Warmoth "Lovemaster" - ash and rosewood - Seymour Duncan 59 humbuckers
    6. 1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster - alder and maple - $23 (for the set) ceramic P90's
    7. 2016 Gibson SG Standard T - mahogany and rosewood - Gibson Classic 57's
    8. 2017 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster - alder and pau ferro - Fender Gen4 noiseless
    9. 2020 Danelectro 59X12 - spruce/pressed board and pau ferro - Dano lipstick humbucker and P90

16. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    OB,

Very cool!

I perform the ''window rattle test'', 3/4 volume/3/4 gain/full treble, guitar and amp/boost on/bass off.

Windows rattle, good to go.

As for your contest, which is a trick question all played on a 34'' long unpainted spruce 2''x 4''. one volume 200K CTS solid shaft pot, one Switch-Craft jack, vintage cloth wrapped wire, black/white, volume knob made from old Budweiser beer cap, jumbo 21 S/S frets, fret markers black Sharpie pen, five Gotoh vintage Butter Bean tuners, high E tuner Schaller Mini, strap buttons, the exposed heads of two 3 1/2'' Ardox nails, one TVJ Power Tron PU, strings EB Skinny Top/Heavy bottom/10-52, Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridge/stop tail-piece, both in old, worn chrome, pick-guard, which you recently removed was made from a red Tupperware lid. Amp is a tiny reissue battery operated Pig-Nose.

Your current project guitar is being made from a cricket bat.

PM me, I'll give you contact/shipping info, I hope it's a ''one of''', I hate copies.

Happy Thanksgiving.

BIB.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    otisblove likes this.
  17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    The audio on YouTube is generally terrible for this sort of thing. They compress the crap out of it and do a lot of other shenanigans to reduce file size that just kill overtones and timbrel differences. It's always best to take an online video review with a grain of salt until you can try for yourself.

Waxhead and swivel like this.
  18. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Hahaha! Wonderful! LMAO! Well done!

otisblove likes this.
  19. otisblove

otisblove Electromatic

May 11, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois USA
    Careful with the salt. None of us are getting any younger. :)

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    What's a grain among friends?

otisblove likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.