I lost an old friend (a guitar) today

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by AZBrahma, Jul 22, 2021.

1. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the tech section, but the outcome is the same.

After 21 years I lost my Cobra killer (in reference to the Anderson Cobra). This one of a kind custom shop short-scale Schecter is one of the finest guitars I've ever owned or played. After a long life, today I discovered a backbow in the neck - a bad one. I knew the truss rod was already backed almost all the way out. I tried to resuscitate it anyway, to no avail. This neck is done and it ain't coming back. Why after 21 years, I don't know why it warped irreparably.

I'm bummed. I really don't even know what to do with it. Without its original neck, it isn't the same guitar. It's achingly beautiful, so maybe I'll hang in on the wall decoratively and reminisce about healthier days. *SIGH* This sucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I was gonna hit the like button, but it just felt wrong.

Freshy, new6659, capnhiho and 4 others like this.
  3. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @AZBrahma : do nothing else and take the advice of a competent luthier.

upload_2021-7-22_22-18-19.png

I mean : something can surely be done - or at least attempted - to save the neck of your instrument. I've seen my two luthier friends (one pro and one amateur) doing miracles in that field...

Our luthier members (think @englishman, among others) certainly encountered that issue, or at least have an advice on how can it be cured.

A+!

Jelly Roll Horton, Flouswa and Henry like this.
  4. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Gretschie

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    For such a cool guitar, contact Schecter directly, too. It's worth seeing what they say about it... You never know what tricks they might have.

LongJohn and hcsterg like this.
  5. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Here it is, nestled amongst brethren for the time being.

[​IMG]

For grins I will contact both Schecter and a luthier - I live the in Phoenix area where the Roberto-Venn school of luthiery is located so I should have no trouble finding someone qualified. My hopes are realistic (very low) at this point.

I've seen a lot of guitars with a lot of problems over the years, and this one is a doozy. The apex of the backbow arch is right around the 14th where the heel starts. Heating/steaming/jigging to fix at that location is very hard to do. Even if it could be fixed, figured non-roasted maple is always a roll of the dice for stability and it could still go wonky in the future. Still, I will try to chase it down.

mr coffee likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’m glad it was just a guitar you lost, I thought the friend was, you know....human

Anyway, sorry about the guitar

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm not convinced it can't be saved. Don't give up - maybe Schecter has some advice.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    ...or a dog.
    Ask Schecter what they think is possible.

9. afire

afire Country Gent

They say figured necks are prone to instability (which I disregarded when choosing a neck for my Partscaster). Still, you wouldn't think it would happen after so long.

I'm in the don't give up camp. Especially if it's a guitar that's special to you. IMO, there's almost nothing that can't be fixed.

j.s.c likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sorry top hear of this . I'm sure your bummed about it . Hope you can find a cure

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's an interesting phase you used . PM me if I'm on the right track . I not only live in the east , I also " sit in the East " ;)

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I wouldn’t give up. When it’s time to panic, I’ll let you know. It probably can be fixed, or if not, you should be able to duplicate the neck.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nothing's impossible if you throw enough time and money at it.

14. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Possibly a luthier could remove the FB and replace the truss rod then re-clamp FB and neck with a flatter profile. I think it can be fixed. Best of luck!

capnhiho likes this.
  15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s what I was wondering about.

16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I have tried this place with great success. I had an old tenor banjo in which the neck looked like a roller coaster track, and he got it within 1/32". He also straightened my cousin's 1967 Coronado II three years ago, and it is still true. If you can unbolt the neck, it will be easier to ship.

I was referred here from a collector/player who swore by the work.

To be honest, I was in doubt that he could do anything with a 1928 Supertone banjo, I thought that it was toast. I loved the tree of life inlays, so I thought that I would give it a shot. I was so impressed that I sent in my cousin's 1967 Fender Coronado II, and it plays very well. No more bowl in the 7th through 18th fret.

Since I can't really tell how bad your Schecter is I would give him a call, and maybe show a picture of the neck against a straight edge, and he could give you his assessment. I can understand the love of that guitar, they are extremely under rated.

http://www.warpedneck.com/index.html

Good luck my friend!

hcsterg and new6659 like this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unlucky about the guitar and I hope it can be saved, I will be coming up to 20 years with my C1 next year, as I have said before the earlier schecters are great guitars all round, the new ones are good but have found the newer ones you need to go mid to top tier for the quality but man are good bang for buck price wise though compared to others.

18. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    The 'never say die' spirit here is contagious. I'm going to muster up a little extra confidence, potentially a lot of money, and see if I can get this neck salvaged.

This really is a unique guitar. Heavily chambered ash body, drop flame top, belly and forearm contours, hardtail, short scale, vintage size frets and that figured neck. Made very early in 2000. If I had to replace it today, I'd have to go Masterbuilt and I suspect the tally would be in the $4500-5000 range.

More to come....

Floo likes this.
  19. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    As a few others have said, at first I was worried it was a family member or friend....or a beloved pet. Glad it was neither of those.

Having said that....it still sucks....but, again, like others here have already said, maybe (hopefully) it's too early to mourn just yet ;-)

20. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    If the fingerboard can be removed (probably using heat), a new 2-way-trussrod can be installed. I wouldn't give up, especially with a guitar that obviously means a lot to you.

Archtops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.