I forgot just how great a good guitar into a good amp could sound.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by nickurso, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    At least with my amp, I always feel it needs a bit of a push in the mids to sound best. And of course most amps don't have slap back delay onboard!

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I made the same experience about 20 years ago. Ditched all my effects andd never looked back.

Rusty Silver and pmac11 like this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Man, with scenery like that to play too, I would be inspired all night!

4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I like my pedalboard, but sometimes just plugging straight in is just the ticket. Clean channel, bit of reverb. Is it cheating to use the MB preamp on ABBY out front?

5. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Synchromatic

I play vintage blues and rock'n'roll so I don't feel the need for other effects than reverb and drive from my amp.

Gretscher and new6659 like this.
  6. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Back in the days when I was exclusively using my rig at gigs that’s what I did as well, plug and go (although I always used a boost or a volume pedal in the middle ‘cause I don’t like to fiddle with the guitar volume) but recently I relied a lot on club’s backline amps (or rehearsal rooms amps, or other people amps when I play with friends) so that’s no easy task. Plugging on a Hot Rod, or a Valvestate or a vintage Twin or a SS Vox it’s not quite the same situation, so I need to at list have a couple of trusty pedals to achieve the tone I need.
    It’s been a while that I choose to travel light over to have my beloved gear with me, and that’s the price to pay.;)

7. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Synchromatic

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    Pedals?! We don' need no steenking pedals! :)

pmac11 likes this.
  8. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    "straight up Hound Dog Taylor"

Yeah, baby!

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's not cheating if there are no rules.

pmac11 likes this.
  10. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.

nickurso likes this.
  11. Mojoman

Mojoman Electromatic

Jan 14, 2019
    Gardena, ca.
    That is everything! In this age of pedal boards, computer presets, bla bla yada yada, just find what kind of music you wanna play, pick a nice amp and guitar that will get you there. I dobt like modeling amps either. Tell ya why - lets say they tell ya, thus anp can sound like 12 amps ( like a salesman told me one day) i say, ok but what does this amp sound like? Looked at me crazy.. When we were doin harder rock i had a marshall of course. Then when we went back into smaller normal clubs, a fender vibrolux. Spectacular! And now im older but still rockin i wanted a lighter weight box, so i got a vintage roland cube 60- no modeling. A d they are known for being clean ass jazz amps. They will also rock your socks off and like 30 lbs.

pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.