I feel ashamed to confess: I`ve been scammed the second time within a year

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, May 6, 2021.

1. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    "someone at Facebook must have OK'd that ad "....nope...they don't okay anything. Same with Google. Links that show up in search results are paid for if you want to be in the top ten. They don't check the sites or if the sites listed are serving up computer infections instead of information or products. The dollar rules so buyer and web user beware.
    I am an IT Administrator and it is very dangerous out there - the wild west - and EBay and the rest don't give a damn.

MotorCentaur, Runamok, Sabato and 2 others like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am very sorry to hear this. It is so bad taking advantage of the friendlyness of elder people. I am constantly warning my mum not to be too trustful towards strangers. (She had windows and doors done on her house last year and paid at least twice the price that would be fair.)

Archtops likes this.
  3. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    So sorry for the ripoffs. I’ve had a couple of experiences where PayPal has had my back with full and immediate refunds. As long as the documentation is in order. Reverb support also has responded very well on recalcitrant refunds.
    BTW, it is not something to be ashamed of when you have a trusting nature. Best of luck and thAnk you for helping us all not to make the same mistake.

MotorCentaur and loudnlousy like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    One thing made the last shipment even more complicated: DHL made me believe that my parcel was under way for weeks and weeks. The shipping tracking is longer than a roll of toilet paper! So I was never sure that I got scammed.
    All the operators and DHL agents there told me different things (corona etc.)until a more practical minded person showed me a picture of my actual shipment: It was a letter-sized envelope!

MotorCentaur likes this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That sucks to hear and really sorry you had to go through this.
    Those great deals or things you really want sometimes cloud judgement on doing things you normally wouldn't or stop you from going about things the way you know you should.
    It will all come back around and something awesome will come your way in the future no doubt.

loudnlousy likes this.
  6. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    That's really shitty to hear man. I don't have any wise words or anything just my empathy.
    Best of luck in your future deals. Maybe karma will work out and you'll get a screaming deal on a nice guitar down the road.

loudnlousy and Archtops like this.
  7. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    That sounds like a full-time scam artist... send an envelope knowing it will show up in tracking just to make you think it's what you bought. Keeps you quiet long enough for the inevitable "issue" to die; and to (not) sell more items for a longer period before folding up and resurfacing as somebody else.
    Where else but on the 'net could one be completely invisible and untraceable and still be exposed to millions of potential "customers"?

I guess the moral is only buy online with a credit card (via paypal or?) and never use your own money. At least the bank would have a vested interest if the purchase was a rip-off and you could stop the payment in time.

I am very grateful to have the world marketplace available for some of the things I get involved with (I wouldn't be involved without access to parts from all over) and am more grateful that so far haven't had a purchase go sour. I did have my credit card details stolen from a suppliers database a few years ago, to the tune of about $700, but caught the unauthorized purchases in time. The bank refunded all the phoney purchases, thankfully. The supplier was very nonchalant when contacted and told me "yeah, we have been getting a lot of complaints.." and that was it. Lost my business for that attitude!

Sorry about the rambling on here.

loudnlousy and Sabato like this.
  8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Here either .

loudnlousy likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Caveat Emptor!
    Trust no one.
    Sorry to hear this. All these things do is destroy one's trust. At least you know Karma will get them in the end, eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.

loudnlousy, Back in Black and Sabato like this.
  10. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Only use paypal

11. These stories just irk me to the point of becoming a hermit. I guess there will always be those that take advantage of others. One hopes that karma exists. I’m sorry to hear this. Hope something good comes your way soon.

loudnlousy likes this.
  12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Got rid of PayPal and eBay after someone hacked my PayPal and tried to withdraw money. Thankful I caught it in time. I don’t buy from Reverb or any of those sites. If I buy it will be from a brick and mortar well known and trusted music store.

loudnlousy and wabash slim like this.
  13. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Oh man, that bites! Really sorry to hear. I hate scammers and thieves. And I've experienced the bad end of deals before. On the whole pretty lucky on music gear though.

Just this week my buddy told me that the person that was supposedly doing the body work/painting his '55 Chevy truck, had ripped him off, he took my buddy's $16K that he had fronted him, and stolen/sold the body and rear end of the truck, and ditched off to New York (from Seattle). All my buddy's got left is a chassis, with I'm guessing the stock engine, in storage unit somewhere. He's basically got to start from scratch, and almost no chance of meaningful recovery. Damn, some people can just be absolutely awful. It's not like my friend is just rolling in cash you know, this is a major setback.

Anyway back to your dilemma, I hope you can find something at a fair price that makes up for your misfortune.

We have to be careful in our dealings among the vipers. There's no advantage of going around the ebay/reverb system besides a sales tax (which in Washington is a painful 10.1%). Paypal protects you, and the ebay/reverb fee is on the seller, they know that, and should figure that into their selling price.

Good Luck in your future transactions.

loudnlousy and Archtops like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Please, don’t ever feel embarrassed about trusting people.

Henry and loudnlousy like this.
  15. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I'm sorry mate, but that's not your fault if there's people like that out there.
    To be honest, I''m always scared about being scammed every time I press the "send the money" button on every transaction I do online. Can't help but feeling that way.
    That's the reason why I rarely buy expensive stuff trough the net. I prefer to spend some more for a road trip, which is also fun. To me, 1000 euros are a huge (I say way too huge) amount of money to spend on something that I use for 10% of my time like a guitar... so it's cash and collect first. Of course this would deny me a lot of overseas deals but if that's the price to pay to feel better... that's ok. I already have more instruments than I effectively need.
    But these things happen to everyone, believe me.

loudnlousy likes this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Today I read about "smishing", phishing via sms text, never heard of it but why not I guess. Person gets a text purporting to be from their bank, an alert about a suspicious charge on their credit card, call this number. Calls, (here's where it goes completely off the rails) is asked for and enters credit card number AND social security number (really?). Then the big "oops" moment, too late.

loudnlousy likes this.
  17. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    L''n''L,

I'm sure you feel bad enough already...but...''E-Bay''...should have been your first clue, especially if there is no purchase option in place to protect yourself.

There is absolutely nothing that you need bad enough, that you need to buy it from E-Bay, and certainly not through a ''unprotected'' purchase transaction.

Right now, with the pandemic keeping us close to social media, there are more scammers/fraud artists than ever preying on our buying power.

I follow the ''trust no one'' policy, and deal only with reputable sellers, and only through PAYPAL.

Anything else, ends up in the unpleasant experience, you are currently working your way through.

Best of luck,

BIB.

loudnlousy likes this.
  18. Bobstephens

Bobstephens Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    Tehachapi, California

19. Bobstephens

Bobstephens Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    Tehachapi, California
    The buyer needs to be careful even when using Reverb. I bought a Fender strat on the Reverb platform advertised as an American Stratocaster. I was new to electric guitars. Eventually I became concerned about the sound of the guitar and took it to a local luthier. When he opened the pickguard, the pots and pickups were cheap Chinese parts. I contacted Fender, and the serial # was bogus, the entire guitar was fake. The music store that sold me the guitar, Adirondack Guitars in New York, a regular Reverb seller that usually has lots of listings on the site refused to do anything, and were quite nasty in their communications with me. Reverb was sympathetic, but was unable or unwilling to put much pressure on the seller to resolve the problem.

loudnlousy and David_GS like this.
  20. David_GS

David_GS Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Toronto
    That sucks, sorry to hear this happened.

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.