I don’t like changing strings :-(

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Sep 1, 2021.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I actually have guitars that i've never changed the strings on since buying them!:eek:

They get changed when they won't stay in tune or i break one,i don't play nearly as much as i once did ,so they last a long while.

The Rick 12 is still the worst though,even with a trapeze tail,last change was 3 years ago,don't ask how long it was before that,i was embarrassed myself...:oops:

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  2. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Another vote for Fast Fret, Give the guitar a fast going over with Dunlop 65 after playing and F.F. the strings, all ready for the next outing. Six months out, new stings, neck oil and a more detailed waxing. The dated string pack in the case is a great reminder of what strings and when changed last. Just have to be in the mood.

3. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I feel the same way about my Rose, and follow a similar routine when I change strings on that guitar. But I still abhor string changes.

4. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Ok this thread lit a fire under me and I got going on a string change on my 1993 LP. Wow 28 years! It was wearing the original strings.
    The frets needed cleaning up so I used some 1000 grit Emory paper on the frets. I wasn’t looking to re-crown the frets just polish them up. Tomorrow I’m going to use the polish erasers.
    That took me several session throughout the day but I was totally in to it. Here’s a few pics of the progress.

E60C01F0-14CD-4D6A-B8E3-CCF9DE5CAEF8.jpeg 523EE05D-B073-4ED7-A142-363148A6A67B.jpeg 978A837F-D84A-4AB8-82E7-7D0082AF7E18.jpeg
    86B4260A-4169-47C0-A90E-2D1759FA35D1.jpeg 416DE5DE-A3CA-4E6A-AF24-9735B39CAB49.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    mrfixitmi, J Bird, Runamok and 5 others like this.
  5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Ouch.

Problem is that when you're finished, you have to take the strings off again to clean them and the fretboard and the headstock.

Archtops and mbkri like this.
  6. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Seems like about every second time I change strings I get stabbed by the high E string and bleed. One thing I do now that helps is use a capo on the first fret while stringing. I give the string a little pull so it is snug then wrap it around the tuner.

capnhiho, mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Oh! Did somebody say string change!

I love a fresh set of GHS Strings!!

(If you don’t use ‘em, you’re doing it wrong)

8. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    This is just a beautiful LP. Love the birdseye in the top also. The early to mid 90s also happen to be excellent years at Gibson for build and material quality, some of the best. I'm not a Gibson guy, but have always thought that if I can pick up an early 90s Gibby at a fair price I will.

Archtops likes this.
  9. Buying good strings.
    I change strings when they are old enough for middle school.

No one told me I should be buying new strings evey time the milk goes sour!

Archtops likes this.
  10. Chhanging those vintage strings probably reduced its resell value.

11. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Too funny!:D I was thinking the same thing.

mrfixitmi and Runamok like this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Thank you AZ!

13. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    I was laughing a little at stabbing myself with the high E string. I told myself I wasn’t going to let that happen this time.
    OUCH! It got me. The Blood sacrifice for a job well done!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll put on a video about bicycle camping or something, grab a beer and make it an experience!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Just skip the second change and go directly to the third.

Runamok likes this.
  16. I did that. First time locking tuners. New expensive strings to try out.
    Got it just perfect, but gave the post 1 wrap.

While I was cutting tails, my glasses fell off…
    I’m sure you can see it coming: Locking tuners have the hole close to bottom of stem.

Result: 1 string advanced immediately to the next restring. Its like skipping a grade in school.
    Only the replacement is a cheapie.

btw, was in a guitar store a few days ago.
    A guy brought in his strat, purchased 10 years ago, last time he changed strings was 7 years ago.

Bringing in his guitar to get it set up b/c the high strings would not intonate after messing with the trem/vibrato bar during stringing.

OK, so its NOT 28 yrs…

17. Funniest part of this was the Guitar Tech Confession angle:

“Forgive me, Father Techie, for I have sinned.
    My last restringing was 7 years ago.”

18. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I always use the date of the last string change on the extra pack I keep in each case. I couldn't seem to remember which ones were coated which ones had 10.5's, 11. or 12's. The issue was finding the calipers or micrometers to check, they always seem to be buried, and then trying to see if they once were coated with my eyes is a task. The dated extra pack works for me.

What I can still can't figure out is which gremlin breaks into the case and changing the date of the last sting change, I always think that I just pierced my finger last month during the string change. My wife and son always laugh because I frequently exclaim, I can't believe its been 8 months, are you sure that someones not messing with me.
    I usually end up cut free until it comes time for trimming the high E or B string, or especially on the high G on a 12 string. Maybe the Beatles were right in leaving them with long tails to hold cigarettes. Maybe I should take up smoking?o_O

Archtops and Runamok like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.