I don’t like changing strings :-(

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I won’t say I “hate” it, but I just dread the chore. It seems like every time I do it there is some minor error, (though today I put new strings on my Tele without mishap). I recognize it’s gotta be done, so I’m pretty regular about it, and I really like the resultant improvement in tone and sustain. I keep the empty string package in the case, dated so I know when I changed them last. I only have five guitars, but I can only imagine the work for youse guys what have six or more! My sympathies! How do you stand it!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Runamok, NJDevil, GlenP and 6 others like this.
  2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I kind of like it a little bit. Not as much as playing but more than vacuuming the basement. And i LOVE the sound of new strings. One guitar at a time. Never two on the same day

mrfixitmi, blueruins, Gregor and 7 others like this.
  3. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I got a birth defect in my left fret hand so I do not change strings. Guitar Center dose it for me and it is a God send. I do not restring my Floyd Rose, Bigsby, trapeze tail piece, and other weird trem systems. You get weird ones on the 1980's super Strat's I love so much. And other types of guitars.

4. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You're right, the more guitars you have, the more problematic it becomes. I keep a chart posted on the inside door of my "accessory cabinet" - a list of all the guitars (20+), the date of the most recent string change, and what I put on them. Dates and string types in pencil, so I can easily erase them and fill in new data when I do the changes.

I hate to admit it, but the truth is that some guitars get changed more frequently than others. That's just the way it is. I live with it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I don’t do it regularly or often.

But when I do, I almost always pierce a finger with an unwound string tip.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My White Falcon sees the most action and gets frequent string changes, at LEAST once a month.
    The funny part is that it’s the only electric guitar I have without locking tuners. I just can’t bare to replace the beautiful imperial grovers.

I remove and replace one string at a time, and I use a capo to keep the strings taught while I wrap it on the tuner. Nothing to it. I’ve gotten real good at it. It’s actually an enjoyable chore most of the time.

My other electric guitars all have locking tuners so they take no effort to restring.

7. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I use the “dated string package in the case” technique myself, and I’m sometimes shocked at how old the strings are on my seldom played guitars. My Ibanez 335 clone is presently sporting two year old strings :eek: but there’s a new set waiting in the case to be installed soon….

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  8. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I seem to recall Josh Smith changes before every gig.

I kind of like it myself.

G5422T likes this.
  9. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yup.

capnhiho and G5422T like this.
  10. Jelly Roll Horton

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have locking tuners on my Gretsches, and those are a big help for sure.

11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    They make it a painless experience. Originally I was considering trying to find some locking tuners with Imperial buttons to put on my Falcon, but I decided it just isn’t worth the trouble of finding lockers that would fit in the same footprint.

Archtops and G5422T like this.
  12. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Here's a hint for you diabetics, as if you already haven't done it. Keep your blood sugar level testing apparatus ready for when you draw bood. No sence wasting all that blood for nothing.

mrfixitmi, Runamok, blueruins and 6 others like this.
  13. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    I always put a string tip underneath a fingernail.
    I almost prefer the pain over the dullness of the experience of changing strings.

Archtops and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  14. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Changing strings on a Bigsby it's a plain PITA. That's the reason why I use Elixirs :).
    On my regular tailpieced guitars it's more an easy going thing but still I tend to change them when I need a sparkly sound, otherwise they stay until they're dull.

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  15. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

When I used to gig, I only changed the ones I broke. On the fly.
    Now, I do not change them.
    That’s baaaad.

16. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Same here . In fact just changed them last night on my Martin D-35 . Nothing like the sound of new strings . Actually don't mind changing strings , it's finding the time

mrfixitmi and Archtops like this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, it's as dangerous as peeling prawns or Jumbo Shrimp!:eek:

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don’t dont do it often either. One reason I went with the Thomastik was because of their longevity. I won’t consider a strong change until the tone is at a point I don't like it any more. That can literally be several or more years. I have one mandolin that still sounds sweet but the string are going on seven years, still pleases my ear it pleases me.

last string change I got away with no wounds but tue time before I got a half inch of high e under my nail! Wow!

19. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    I would kind of enjoy it except the cats want to help, the sharp ends are a danger to their eyes, and they complain when I shut them out of the room.

NJDevil, new6659, LongJohn and 4 others like this.
  20. Strongly dislike old strings. And that ca even be a day, if i play outside and it’s hot and i sweat. They come off the following morning. If its a guitar I don’t play frequently , it goes in the case with new strings. I’m usually changing a set or two a week. Just don’t like them worn.

blueruins, Archtops and mbkri like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.