I can’t stand……..

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I generally agree. Carrots are at their best raw. But I occasionally encounter some sort of charred or glazed carrot that isn't bad.

I think my perception of most vegetables was warped at a young age as a child of the '80s. They were all overcooked and mushy. Not that my mom was a bad cook. I think that's just how people cooked then. I have a copy of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". I was making green beans as a side not long ago and thought I'd look at her haricot verts recipe for any pointers. She said to blanch them for something like 7-8 minutes. That makes for some seriously limp and bland green beans. I don't think anybody today would say to blanch them for more than 2-3 minutes.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
What’s your secret?
Carrots in the oven in cast iron and butter / ghee turn into amazing things - especially if you get a tiny bit of char on the bottom. Season to taste, but I like smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder. I use the baby carrots and that probably makes a difference.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
I hated any vegetable that my Mother cooked, she used the canned stuff, and boiled them into a mush like spackling compound. The carrots seemed to emit this burnt electrical smell, which made me check to make sure my amp was not on fire. Raw carrots, cucumbers, celery were wonderful, we cook our veggies on the grill, and even brussel sprouts are acceptable. My Mother in law was a wonderful cook that could make anything taste great, fortunately my Wife picked up her cooking skills.
Funny that - same about mother. No seasoning, no flavor, bland and utilitarian.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
We grew all our own vegetables and that honestly makes even some unpalatable veggies much more palatable. I would suggest if you like veggies doa. Bit of reading it is very easy to grow some in your own home., year round.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Why the hate for carrots? they are alright...can happily do without pumpkin myself though.

On a music related note though I can happily do with not hearing online demos of amps/guitars where the player constantly rakes the strings I mean seriously, yes once or twice but not every move of the hand, just hit the string you want for crying out loud, and while your at you don't need to wave the neck around at the end while sustaining a note....it doesn't do anything to the sound, well nothing noticeable just hold the thing straight..... anyway.

Vegemite. If you’ve never tried it then don’t do it. I made the mistake once. NEVER again.
I'm aussie and I totally support your recommendation there, yuk....

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
Carrots in the oven in cast iron and butter / ghee turn into amazing things - especially if you get a tiny bit of char on the bottom. Season to taste, but I like smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder. I use the baby carrots and that probably makes a difference.
Oh man, I’ll give it a try. I LOVE smoked paprika. Might also toss in some vidalia onions since they’re in abundance right now.

I used to live in Texas and there was a restaurant called The Arlington Steakhouse. They had the most amazing carrots but were deadly secretive about the recipe. I tried for years to figure it out but never got it. They were sweetened but the how was the secret.

Your savory version sounds great!

duojet55

Electromatic
Dec 21, 2010
Arkansas
Mom used to serve cooked, sliced carrots occasionally. To get us kids to eat them, she used to call them "Elvis Presley Records" That did the trick! We'd name what title (Love Me Tender, Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel, etc.) we were about to eat. Child Pop Psychology.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Mom used to serve cooked, sliced carrots occasionally. To get us kids to eat them, she used to call them "Elvis Presley Records" That did the trick! We'd name what title (Love Me Tender, Heartbreak Hotel, Don't Be Cruel, etc.) we were about to eat. Child Pop Psychology.
Never worked on me. My folks tried it all. I would just refuse and sit at the table hungry until they sent me to bed. I never lost those battles not even to the just take one bite and you can leave the table.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Oh man, I’ll give it a try. I LOVE smoked paprika. Might also toss in some vidalia onions since they’re in abundance right now.

I used to live in Texas and there was a restaurant called The Arlington Steakhouse. They had the most amazing carrots but were deadly secretive about the recipe. I tried for years to figure it out but never got it. They were sweetened but the how was the secret.

Your savory version sounds great!
Oh yes - real onions would be great. I would have a tendency to saute them first.

Mine are sweet and syrupy without any sugar added. We absolutely love them. It started as a cast iron potato/carrot cook and it blew us away.