I am now a legitimate biznezz man!

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
So....bass drum. Heel down or heel up? I find my foot gets tired as I tap my toe rather than raising my heel and stamping like real drummers do. Otherwise, my guitar bobs around with my knee! So I'm wondering what you do?

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
So....bass drum. Heel down or heel up? I find my foot gets tired as I tap my toe rather than raising my heel and stamping like real drummers do. Otherwise, my guitar bobs around with my knee! So I'm wondering what you do?
Ummmmm, good question.
I guess heel down. Or maybe a heel-toe mostion. I pick up my foot and drop it in a stomp on some songs.
My guitar bobs a little bit. I haven’t been using my Gretsch hollowbodies cuz their too big and definitely bob.

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Ummmmm, good question.
I guess heel down. Or maybe a heel-toe mostion. I pick up my foot and drop it in a stomp on some songs.
My guitar bobs a little bit. I haven’t been using my Gretsch hollowbodies cuz their too big and definitely bob.
Ha, I like the Bob description. I see some people with guitars high on straps, or using their left foot to be the opposite of the guitar resting on the right knee. I tap with heel down but it's tough on your shin muscle

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Ha, I like the Bob description. I see some people with guitars high on straps, or using their left foot to be the opposite of the guitar resting on the right knee. I tap with heel down but it's tough on your shin muscle
I guess I don’t mind the guitar bobbing too much. It’s all part of “the thing”. Making myself into one sloppy gross Rock n’ Roll organism.
Honestly, I’m still figuring it all out. So far, I’ve only played one gig as a one-man-band in front of a real audience, and it went over surprisingly well. So, I figure I’ll crack on with it.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
Caleb, here’s some free advice (worth exactly what you paid for it) from a retired old self-employed freelance designer.
1. Get a good attorney before you need one
2. Get a good CPA who knows tax law
3 Always get a signed contract clearly stating expectations of all parties involved
4. Always pay your suppliers (or anyone you rely on for your biz) on time
5. Put at least 10% aside out of every job for slow times
6. Quit when it isn’t fun any more

Best of luck to you in your new venture! 👍⭐

Last edited:

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Caleb, here’s some free advice (worth exactly what you paid for it) from a retired old self-employed freelance designer.
1. Get a good attorney before you need one
2. Get a good CPA who knows tax law
3 Always get a signed contract clearly stating expectations of all parties involved
4. Always pay your suppliers (or anyone you rely on for your biz) on time
5. Put at least 10% aside out of every job for slow times
6. Quit when it isn’t fun any more

Best of luck to you in your new venture! 👍⭐
Oh man, this is probably all great advice, but really, I just made cards to promote my silly one-man-band.
I get asked often enough if I’m on Instagram/Facebook, and I am not. I made the cards to give to people so they can check out my stuff on youtubes, and maybe ask me to play a gig.
Eventually, I’ll make an email list for people to join if they want.

As far as an actual business, well, it’s doubtful I’ll be quitting my night job!

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Oh man, this is probably all great advice, but really, I just made cards to promote my silly one-man-band.
I get asked often enough if I’m on Instagram/Facebook, and I am not. I made the cards to give to people so they can check out my stuff on youtubes, and maybe ask me to play a gig.
Eventually, I’ll make an email list for people to join if they want.

As far as an actual business, well, it’s doubtful I’ll be quitting my night job!
That's interesting.
Over here in the Old Continent, no Facebook/Instagram = No gigs.
Or, let me explain, yes you could get gigs but no money (upfront. You could always ask for tips thought, or sell merch...). The best you could do is get some small pub/bar gigs where people hardly know there's a band playing.
The best clubs don't have time/will to look for you on Youtube, and if your name doesn't appear on some Facebook/Instagram newsfeed well... you're basically invisible. Handling out stuff (cards/cds) it's useless as most club owners work with booking agencies (small and big) and aren't interested in something idependent (unless, again, big on socials) so it's really difficult that an agency will hire you if you're not on social medias. Maybe if it's a friend running it....

That's the main reason I gave up with music after (and during) the pandemic. Even if I have a lot of good friends in the biznezz. I was sick of all those social medias gimnicks and sick of spending more time on the internet than on the rehearsal room, so I called it a day.
It's an hard, hard work to be a rockstar mate...🤣🤣🤣