How useful is a Strat? Do I need one?

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Let’s really kick up a storm. Here’s my very favorite Strat, and the most versatile guitar I own. Flamesuit on.
Beautiful PRS! I love that color!

I can relate. Earlier in the thread I showed pics of my two Player Strats and my Fender Pawn Shop '51 but the funny thing is that (right now at least) my favorite is the G&L Comanche!
Those Z-Coil MFD pickups Leo designed are magnificent, it has separate treble and bass cut knobs and a push-pull pot that gives me 7 different pickup options (including all 3 at once).

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
If it did not have that narrow nut I would own one. I wish Warmoth made necks for PRS’s

I love that model, PRS paid great respect to Leo with that model.

I just can’t get over the depth of the pickups. They are warmer than a normal Strat with a lack of the usual shrillness, but also very transparent while sounding “wide”……almost 3D. Big bottom end bloom. The biggest sounding Strat style guitar I’ve owned. You just plug it in and boom…..it’s there.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I just can’t get over the depth of the pickups. They are warmer than a normal Strat with a lack of the usual shrillness, but also very transparent while sounding “wide”……almost 3D. Big bottom end bloom. The biggest sounding Strat style guitar I’ve owned. You just plug it in and boom…..it’s there.
Wait until @thunder58 sees the specs on the PRS website! A gig bag! Oh man you're in for it now!

Feynman

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2011
AZ
I just wrote and then erased a long, rambling diatribe about my own evolution from Strat-hater to Strat-lover. Leo changed the world. Strats, superstrats, Stratlike Objects - they abound because they are timelessly clever form and function. Seated, standing, clean, dirty, the neck pickup, the in-between, the trem, the contours...anyway...I had to fight a lengthy anti-Strat bias (anti-bolt-on, anti-pickguard, anti-allofit) that I carried since childhood. By now I've owned some great Teles, a couple of excellent Jazzmasters, and a handful of Strats. I think I have to admit that the Strat is my favorite. I still have the bias though. I'm no Clapton, pseudo-blues, open mic Hawaiian shirt, typical old boring Strat guy, right, right?! But maybe I'm a Jeff Beck wannabe? I still get stopped in my tracks when I see an SRV video...I don't even know what I'm saying at this point. Try to find a genre that a Strat doesn't handle with aplomb...you can't (Norwegian Death Folk perhaps, but those days are behind me).

Great - now I want another Strat.

I was wrong. I'm sorry, Leo.

You should buy a Strat. So should I.

Last edited:

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Let’s really kick up a storm. Here’s my very favorite Strat, and the most versatile guitar I own. Flamesuit on.

View attachment 181136
Well funny you mention that, the reason for starting this thread is a work mate just got one of these, I had a quick play at work and it has really left a mark and am waiting for him to go on holiday in 2 weeks so I can babysit it for him and have a decent go at it.

So yeah one is very much on my radar but not many people have them in stock down here yet, oh and I love that colour by the way.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I have an American Player tele, that I just put a McNeely Duckling neck pickup into, cuz I really dont like playing strats if I dont have to. I do have my original 91' Strat but it has flatwounds and is not the typical and overly nauseating SRV copy.. but I do like the sound of a Strat in the neck position. So I bought the McNeely, sold me w the vid.. i chose the open top, very nice!

from their site:
"This is for Tele players who have a thing for the wicked vibe of a Strat neck pickup. The rich deep lows to the clear and glassy chime is all there, but squeezed into a standard Tele size. No cutting, routing, or chisels required.
This will give even a good Strat a run for its money."
duckling_aged_large.jpg

I'm 100% with you on the love of the neck only tone of a Strat and thanks for sharing this McNeely gem.....Awesome!

Stevie Ray IS THE G.O.A.T.,! Why? I said so. The only reason he played other positions on a Strat is because he mastered the oozing, rich, bluesy goodness from the neck pickup. He also taught Chuck Norris martial arts, taught Bobby Flay how to cook, taught Neal deGrasse Tyson all he knows about Physics, was the 1st to climb Mt. Everest, and delivered the secret automotive sauce to both Ford and Ferrari!..........and more!!!!:D

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
that's more like a back pack , but at least it's somethin'
Cough cough but I actually have a gig bag for a Strat. It is fabulous but the style was discontinued. Heavy tuff lots of pockets and padding and Strats are so darn tuff I don’t worry about it in that bag! One thing about Strats is they are exceptionally hardy! My toddler years ago had knocked them all over drug them around the house sat in them chewed on them and they still look good minus a couple songs from fall damage. they didn’t even suffer from intonation changes After that abuse. I wouldn’t want to think about my Penguin having that done to it or an LP. Gives a whole new meaning to pop goes the weasel!

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I had one, an American Standard, for 30+ years. At one time it was my "go to" guitar back in my gigging days. But as my little guitar collection grew, I found I was playing it less and less. For the last 7 or 8 years I owned it, barely at all. I think I just got bored with it, to be honest. There's so many other things out there I found more exciting to play.

I finally unloaded it a couple years ago in a trade for a Gibson acoustic. I don't miss it at all, not one little bit.

I wouldn't rule out getting another one, but I'd need a really good reason to do so and I'd probably get one with completely different specs than that old one. Otherwise, it's pretty low on my priority list.

I'm totally OK with not having one.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I had one, an American Standard, for 30+ years. At one time it was my "go to" guitar back in my gigging days. But as my little guitar collection grew, I found I was playing it less and less. For the last 7 or 8 years I owned it, barely at all. I think I just got bored with it, to be honest. There's so many other things out there I found more exciting to play.

I finally unloaded it a couple years ago in a trade for a Gibson acoustic. I don't miss it at all, not one little bit.

I wouldn't rule out getting another one, but I'd need a really good reason to do so and I'd probably get one with completely different specs than that old one. Otherwise, it's pretty low on my priority list.

Sort of the same boat here. I am almost always not always but 80% of the time grabbing my 000 over any electric guitar.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
Sellers on Reverb are posting items for outrageous money now. MIM Jazzmasters for £1600..etc

A crash is coming....we all just need to hold our nerve and be patient...we can do this!

P.S. I saw a second hand Novo up for £4300/$5400 - with just a gig bag! Outrageous 🤣

Feynman

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2011
AZ
Everybody should have a Strat...

I've never really been able to bond with one.

...the Strat is oh-so-comfortable. Do you need one? Yes. Truthfully. A guitar player needs a Strat in the pile.

Absolutely get a Strat and forget the tele. I love strats.

I love Strats

I love Strats!

Everyone needs a Strat.

I still don’t like them.

You should buy a Strat. So should I.

Stevie Ray IS THE G.O.A.T.,!

I say nah….you don’t need one. Let everyone else play them.

I agree with all of this.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Sellers on Reverb are posting items for outrageous money now. MIM Jazzmasters for £1600..etc

A crash is coming....we all just need to hold our nerve and be patient...we can do this!

P.S. I saw a second hand Novo up for £4300/$5400 - with just a gig bag! Outrageous 🤣

It's a strange situation. I bought my Strat used for $600 a few years ago. Made in USA, 1997 "Roadhouse" Strat. Used ones are now about $1000 if you're lucky, $1800 more likely - which seems a bit much. It's not super collectable or anything, but I guess the market sees the new MIM ones and says "USA Made should cost more".

I see the MIM new Roadhouse Strats for about $900 which isn't terrible. Not sure how they compare to the original USA made ones.

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
So serious question.

Am trying to bring a bit more variety to my collection and don't have a strat, truth is I have never really been a strat guy but lately have been listening a lot of bluesy stuff and John Mayer so am thinking that it maybe something I could use.

But I have a Tele, so do I really need a Strat?

I know this is a bit of a rhetorical question but all you Strat lovers post why you love them.

Stef,

The only Strat I've ever personally considered worth mentioning...see photos, I have two.

Having said that, you may want to check out Bill Nash's ''relic Strats''. Visit Humbucking Music, scroll to Bill Nash, great Teles as well, that is, if you like ''pre-relic'd'' guitars.

Let us know what you decide on.

Best,

BIB

2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0006.JPG 2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0010.JPG 2012_0923EVHFrankenstein0009.JPG DSCF1398.JPG DSCF1399.JPG 2011_0506Various0006.JPG