How useful is a Strat? Do I need one?

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
So serious question.

Am trying to bring a bit more variety to my collection and don't have a strat, truth is I have never really been a strat guy but lately have been listening a lot of bluesy stuff and John Mayer so am thinking that it maybe something I could use.

But I have a Tele, so do I really need a Strat?

I know this is a bit of a rhetorical question but all you Strat lovers post why you love them.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
For positions 2 and 4. I just got my first Strat recently. I would have been happy with a Squier Classic Vibe, but found a good deal on a lightly used Player.

(I had a HSS Yamaha short-scale-length 24-fret shredder, but it was not really a strat.)

Does your Tele have a maple fretboard? Then you might need a Strat with a rosewood fretboard, or vice versa. You can use different gage strings or different tunings on the Tele and the Strat, if you need a reason to justify another similar, but not too different guitar. Set one up with high action for slide? Tele is really a different animal but also uniquely different from a Strat. You could get by with a Tele, sure, just ask Steve Cropper.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
How useful is a Strat? Very. Do I need one? Of course...:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I actually do believe every working musician should stock at least a Fender or two and preferably one of each. Tele's and Strats have their own individual voices and while either may cover all the bases in a more or less convincing way, sometimes only one or the other will do to give you complete authenticity of sound in the style you are attempting to pull off at the moment. I love both. I own both. I NEED both!

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Everybody should have a Strat and a Tele…..If for no other reason than to respect and enjoy the history of the solid body guitar.
I’d like a full size set neck Tele and Strat with similar body dimensions as a 6120. Just bigger versions of those designs. Thin body, and at that size, chambered for weight savings. At 6‘-6” I make normal guitars look tiny. I’m aware of the Greg Koch Reverend Tele and Ray Benson big Tele.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I’d like a full size set neck Tele and Strat with similar body dimensions as a 6120. Just bigger versions of those designs. Thin body, and at that size, chambered for weight savings. At 6‘-6” I make normal guitars look tiny. I’m aware of the Greg Koch Reverend Tele and Ray Benson big Tele.

Consider a Reverend Greg Koch Gristlemaster Tele. It is sized for big guys like Greg

6A026D46-AA68-4CDC-B395-C97E53EB7433.jpeg 7404DC92-0702-4AE2-8973-0984BCE523F0.jpeg

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
One thing I like about both Teles and Strats is the way they love to be manhandled. You can twist 'em, turn 'em, flail 'em, beat 'em with a stick or a pick, rip the whammy (in the case of the Strat), snap the strings, jibe the tuners, bow the neck, punch the pups, or even light 'em on fire (a la Hendrix). They just keep on singing. Try that with your favorite Gretsch or Gibson and you'd soon have the guitar police on you tail. But with Fenders, it's almost a requirement. If you are a physical player, or even just have the odd hankering to take your meaner licks out on a guitar, then a Fender is your baby. Just be prepared for it to bite back...:cool:

Chmason85

Synchromatic
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
So serious question.

Am trying to bring a bit more variety to my collection and don't have a strat, truth is I have never really been a strat guy but lately have been listening a lot of bluesy stuff and John Mayer so am thinking that it maybe something I could use.

But I have a Tele, so do I really need a Strat?

I know this is a bit of a rhetorical question but all you Strat lovers post why you love them.
Absolutely get a Strat and forget the tele. I love strats. The teles I’ve had have been marginal, but a good Strat is something you always need in your closet. They are hard to play though. I grew up on nothing but strats and that taught me endurance 😂

Latest posts