How to tell if my TV Jones are out of phase?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by javierj, Oct 22, 2020.

1. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Filtertron types, when combined, always sound a bit like an out of phase pickup to me. It just seems to be their character. That punchy compressed effect.

2. javierj

javierj Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    San José, Costa Rica
    That is correct, it is still quite low, it is a 7.8k pickup...

3. javierj

javierj Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    San José, Costa Rica
    I have not noticed that when I combine the Classic Plus and Setzer Neck on my middle position, but when I engage the push/pull switch and make the Classic Plus coil split with the north coil active, it does sound kinda weird, I guess not out of phase per se, but definitely really thin and it takes away almost all the low mids, mids and plenty of the lows and of course a lot of volume. So I guess if anybody out there was wondering how would the Classic Plus sound in split coil north coil, I can say not too good...

4. javierj

javierj Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    San José, Costa Rica
    Something else too, that I wish you can help me out too, I am saying that what I have in my guitar is coil split with the push/pull pot/switch, but I want to be sure about it.

So far the tests that I've done to be sure about this are, measuring the DC resistance with a multi meter and I get 7.8k with the push/pull switch up and 4k with the push/pull switch down, which is close to half. According to what I have read, when you have coil split you get approximately half the DC resistance of the full pickup.

There is also 60 cycle hum but in order for you to notice the hum, you do have to turn it up louder, so it appears to be less loud hum than a regular single coil pickup, but maybe due to the very low dc resistance of the Filtertron in split coil.

I also did the tapping test with a screw driver and I get a loud pop when I touch the north coil screw/pole pieces. When I touch the south coil there is a very slight "click" sound, not a loud pop sound like the previous one. This part is the one that got me doubting a little, to know of it is normal that when you tap the south coil screws/pole pieces that they make a very slight, low volume click sound when tapped?

I thought that when a humbucker Filtertron type of pickup is split, that the other coil is completely bypassed or isolated, with no output at all. In my case it seems that it is still active, the south coil, but with the output reduced to almost nothing compared to the other in this case the north coil.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    That sounds correct to me. Addressing your observations one at a time:
    1. Yes, DCR will be roughly half. The only exception to this are pickups that are custom-wound to have coils that intentionally don't match.
    2. That also checks, both coils must be engaged for it to be humbucking.
    3. This also checks. When you tap the south coil, you're still close enough to effect the magnetic field around the north, even if only a little. If the active coil were switched you have a loud click on the north and a faint click on the south.
    4. The correct way to coil split is to ground the hot lead of the coil being disconnected so that it doesn't pass any signal or noise. There's still a chance of this if you simply switch from the "end" of both coils together the "end" of the active split coil and leave the other lead simply disconnected.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    javierj likes this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I install my pickups completely buck nekkid so that the moon is fully exposed

[​IMG]

calebaaron666 and montereyjack66 like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Do you sound like Peter Green when you play it?

8. javierj

javierj Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    San José, Costa Rica
    Hey man thanks a lot for all your help, I really appreciate it!

I have learn so much with people like you when I ask questions on the forums!

I don't know where will I be without all the valuable things I learn from many people in the forums!

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    We're happy to help man, let us know if you have any more questions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.