Join Gretsch-Talk Today

How to refret G6131MY?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jessey, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jessey

Jessey Electromatic

Mar 30, 2016
    Melbourne
    Hi there, I think I need to re fret my guitar when I get it, Let me show you the picture.

How do you refret a G6131MY? I might do it by myself.

Attached Files:

2. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    If never done a refretjob...take another cheap guitar instead and learn on that one instead the Malcolm signature...

As there is thing that can give you more headache job than you actually started with.....the binding sides of the fretboard can crack...chip chunks when removing frets...and all that.

Leave it to a guitarshop that done that kind of jobs.

But thats me.

T simmons and benjwri like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    If you have to ask...

Seriously, it's not a beginners job. I could tell you to practice on a couple of cheapies first, but even than it remains a too big a task to subject your pro line to. IMO if course.

T simmons, Henry and benjwri like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jessey

Jessey Electromatic

Mar 30, 2016
    Melbourne
    I might just goto a local music shop and get them to re fret it. How much would you think it will cost in AUD?

T simmons likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    In the Netherlands you'd average around the €250 euro mark, so that would be something $360 ish in Oz dollars.
    Not sure how guitar repairs convert over continents though.

7. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    Over here around with fretboard binding to take in concern...
    300-350€

No binding on fretboard sides....cheaper closer to 250€

8. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I agree with everyone else that this is not the guitar to learn on. You also need to consider there is a sizable investment in tools to do a proper fret job.
    If you want to learn how all the power to you. Watch some youtube videos on the subject, get the proper tools and practice on a couple old beaters first. Or take a class on the subject.

9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

As others have said, if you haven't done this before you should get it done by a qualified experienced individual.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Make absolutely sure your chosen luthier has a good reputation for doing refrets... It's something of a specialized skill and not all luthiers are equally good at it. Google is your friend.

Robbie likes this.
  11. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Like I said in the other thread, check it out when it's in your hands, may only need a leveling.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The dimple in the 2nd fret doesn't look like a levelling job would fix it.

13. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This may be one of those things where if you have to ask how to do it maybe you shouldn't. ;)

T simmons and audept like this.
  14. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It's extremely difficult to judge depth (for me) from a 2D picture. I thought my Gibson frets were toast, took it in and they managed to level them out nicely.

Henry likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The frets on my Anni Jr were really beat up, large divets, fret buzz even on the first fret. The luthier did a great job fret leveling and then Pleking

T simmons likes this.
  16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Levelling is quite cheap. About EUR 50. A Fretjob done by a pro should fetch around EUR 200.
    ...to be honest: I would not even considering a leveling-job at that state your frets ar in. If it does not interfere with your playing: Wait.

17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    another yep to fret dressing/leveling.. I thought my 91' strat was divot-ed to hell but a friend who's a master builder at fender, made every fret a gorgeous piece of jewelry.. Done so well it looks and feels like new frets. That said, it had good frets to begin with made here in the states.. my 99' gretsch had weak sauce frets and they were destroyed by 2010. Paul Waller, refretted w 6105 stainless and the guitar SOUNDS so much better as well as feels like a pair of broken in redwing boots :) Worth every penny there too.

T simmons and audept like this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You might, but don't do it : have it done with a competent luthier who knows his job about refretting an instrument. It's what I would do, personally.

A+!

19. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Oh you can level allright.
    If going from medium jumbo to a "fretless wonder" plays the same for you... And depending on frequency of playing in a years time you might be looking at a refret anyway and basicly have wasted 100 bucks on a level.

hcsterg likes this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. I looked to your pictures : have your frets changed, not levelled. Except if you play like Les Paul :D...

A+!

audept likes this.
  21. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Wow, I'm surprised you can tell all that from one picture. All I'm saying is it should be looked at as an option in case there's enough there to be able to do a good job and be perfectly playable after.

wizard_23 likes this.