How to Recover Utoob Pword Without Giving Phone # ???

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jerzey Bob, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I can get as far as them sending me the recovery code to my email, then they want me to give my number to send text, not happening.

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ..and that's that

Duo Slinger and Henry like this.
  3. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    yup.

Duo Slinger, Henry and thunder58 like this.
  4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    It’s just google trying to get all the info about you that they can. I don’t have or want a "smart phone" but the way commerce is going it may become inevitable. I can’t even get into local sports events without one of those reader apps, because they don’t have printed tickets any more. I can text with my ipad, but only with Apple devices. Tech companies are building an infrastructure that will require everyone to buy their too expensive geegaws just to navigate and communicate in society and commerce. Those of us troglodytes who are too old or too cranky to assent to this will just wander off, I guess. Fortunately, I don’t need a smart phone to pour myself a bourbon and splash, so there is still a reason to get up every day. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    scrimmer likes this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes it is crazy how much data they are collecting about each of us. I wonder if it will ever be as bad as depicted in Sci-Fi books and movies. Hope not, at my age I am not worried but my son will have to deal with it.

I don't mind giving my phone number when it makes things easier for me. I don't answer my phone when I don't recognize the number, ever, and I don't get even one unwanted call a day.
    It is impossible to determine whether your phone number adds to their record of you or not.

I actually like the added security. Think about it; hackers can get my info but can't duplicate my phone number, I think that's a great idea.
    Your computer sends a unique ID number when asked and combining that with a password and phone number makes things about as secure as they can get these days.

I've signed up with over a dozen online vendors and bought from hundreds of sellers on ebay so my info is out there. I don't think I'll start to worry until the world government builds a central supercomputer and installs the cameras.

I too still use a $25-a-month flip phone. I complained at the grocery store that I can't use their digital coupons so now they grab a manager to give me the discounts. More work for them but they're OK about it.

6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    OK totally not an expert here but the data they want from you is not collected via your phone number but by your behavior on youtube in your account and your browsing behavior via sign ins and cookies. The phone is primarily a security issue. Are you sure they require a telephone #? That is usually for multifaceted authentication which is optional. I would check that. My son has a youtube account (we share premium as a family as I prefer paying than having my kids watch commercials which imo is more of an issue than them tracking him) but no phone.

Anywhon if it doesn't work you should demand a refund. :rolleyes:

bigjohnbates and Duo Slinger like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    What's also crazy imo is that we as consumers expect companies to give us free content with no hassles. Google is not gonna abuse your telephone #.

8. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    If it bothers you and you need to give a phone number, you can always get a burner phone. Then they'll text the access code to the burner and won't be any wiser.

Archtops, Runamok and Jerzey Bob like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    If you have a telephone your number is already in someone else’s hands. Ssn# not as easy to find anymore but back in 98 when I bought my first home computer I could easily look up anyone ssn# online, no hoops to jump through.

I assume all my personal data is already compromised. But that doesn’t mean through it out now like it doesn’t matter. My point is the ph can be duplicated in some ways. We have seen the Id for our phones come across on our phone like I could somehow call myself but it was a spam call.
    I do like using a phone for a lot of things like two part authentication recovery texts etc. I do not use Apple Pay. I’m not sold on my financial data being part of a cell system or phone.

On a side note before I bailed on facebook I was asked by them to Verify my personal data. Home address kids wife ph#. The only problem is it was all correct but I had never ever loaded that data in. They mined it from other contacts and the web and loaded it themselves. I did not verify it, but they already had it.

Runamok likes this.
  10. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Wanna bet?

Yeah, I tried a few times, all same result.

lol wanna bet? x2

I've given this some thought.

yup, now they want me to publish my WIFI on my music page, "So your audience can find you easier..." WHAT THE ...!!!

capnhiho, Bertotti and Runamok like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @Jerzey Bob , to bad that they want a number to send a text to . Most times I just put 845 ( of coarse you would put your area code ) then 555-1212 ... go ahead , call it . It's information , remember them . The only time I hade trouble with that number is when I spoke with Rockin' Ron . he told me he called that number and it gave him information . Ron's the only one I ever gave my number too .

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  12. your pound of flesh for their services. while its a legitimate authentication method as part of 2 factor authentication, it makes you trackable.

we don’t have vending machines we pass on the street calling us yet, like Japan has had for a long time, but it can’t be far away. we don’t have one big governmental “big brother,” we have a dozen private big brothers.

our data is only as secure as our uh “dumbest”/ most reckless contacts.
    the temporary burner may be your only way.

as everyone knows, open a first time facebook acct & the “friend” requests cascade in. they already know all your friends & that they are connected to you, even if you give no permission to datamine your contacts list. It even happens if you don’t have facebook in some cases, via email.

Bertotti and Jerzey Bob like this.
  13. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I use old numbers for stuff like that, e.g. my points at the liquor store. :cool: Dunno if this would work for a code tho?

JeffreyLeePierre and thunder58 like this.
  14. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey

This is why I turn off my phone wifi whenever leaving the house, they can still track you by cell towers, but, at least it's not trying to connect to every "free" wifi where ever I go. Those are the most sketchy ones to use.

15. but they often want to verify the number, to make sure its real.
    both as your security feature & as a connection point.

consider what happens using 2FA, but having your only device — or all your devices stolen at the same time.
    if you have a good solution — text me.

16. that may be just a hint too paranoid o_O sounds movie-grade paranoid.
    most of us aren’t that important.

Your life must be a movie plot. :confused:
    there are always identifiers on your device.

Randy99CL likes this.
  17. You are mistaken abt texts only from Apple devices. Unless you have SMS disabled.
    In brand new iOS 15 they have broadened video calls beyond their platform.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have been using text with non Apple phones for years. Not sure about the ipad. But a lot has opened up.

19. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    I use old numbers for places like the liquor store, auto zone, etc. to redeem my points, never been verified. That way I can give the number aloud without prying ears being a concern.

I never do business or social media on my phone, & if you've ever had your bank acct. messed with, you'd be paranoid, too. "It's good to be paranoid when everyone's out to get you." And in this digital age, they are.

20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This is a major consideration for business security, as Cell phones sort of become a master or skeleton key which makes it a vulnerability point. We started moving towards password key services which is useful in many ways but also relies on 2FA.

It is also an issue with employee accounts as we don't want them to use personal cell phones for work. We are also looking for a solution. Honestly, a little black book in a safe is increasingly attractive. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.