How to Organize Your Music

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jun 28, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Fivethirtyeight.com featured a discussion of how people organize their book collection, with strong opinions on all sides. That prompted me to ask G-T-ers:

How do (or did) you organize your music collection - CDs, records, etc... ?

I don't have a physical collection anymore, but when I did, I put all pop music together, alphabetical by artist, then chronologically within each artist. Compliations and soundtracks were separate, alphabetically. Classical was separate, alphabetically by composer; same thing with comedy.

How about you?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Tadhg likes this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I always had my vinyl- and cd-collection sorted alphabetically until my wife relocated all my stuff in our house several times...:eek::(

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I git rid of my CDs years ago, but to play along, I grouped them by musical styles.
    Stereotype the heck out of'm, Funk, rock, blues, country, metal, and place the crossovers in between.
    I ordered them by colour once as a joke... meh.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    My CD collection is organized alphabetically by band, and chronologically for each band.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I used to have my vinyl arranged my genre, but it’s easier to find stuff with everything together in alphabetical order.
    My massive movie collection is arranged by genre.
    My book collection is a mess.

drmilktruck and KuKuKu like this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    6188936101646835266.jpg
    All of the CDs in this photo are on the tiny USB Drive that is to the left of the Mozart Box Set. Folders by artist, alphabetical. The USB Drive is plugged into my car. The same set of files is also on my phone and PC.

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Which is normally how I listen to music. All of my music is on my PC and backed up to a portable hard drive. I have a USB in my car with most of my music on it. I still listen to CDs sometimes at home--it really depends on what I'm doing, what room I'm in, etc.

Sabato and drmilktruck like this.
  8. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    I separate the Rockabilly records from the Swing records and arrange the artists according to importance to the genre (to me). My books are organized according to the nationality of the author and within that alphabetically.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Organized?!?! Yeah, right.

Closest that I come to organized is that the classical is in one pile, the jazz in another, and the rock and country that I most listen to is in an old book type CD case. Even then, I still listen a lot to the yootoob.

Movies are on shelves somewhat divided by genre.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Ultimate record collection organizing scene from the ultimate music obsessive movie.

Shadowy_Man and LivingMyDream like this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I have all of the CDs saved but I don't know why....

drmilktruck and lp_bruce like this.
  12. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    When I buy music, I generally by the CD and then rip the music to my computer (and various drives). If nothing else, my CDs are backups to my digital music. I also like to have something physical and I like having the cover, liner notes, etc.

manunk, new6659, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  13. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    That's what I do also. Kind of reminds me of an old friend who liked analog and vinyl, he would play the vinyl record once and tape it, then preserve the record. I like the fact that I can instruct my Subaru by voice to play song, artist or album.

lp_bruce and drmilktruck like this.
  14. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I've got about 1000 albums, roughly equal mix of vinyl and CD. Except for the classical stuff, which I keep separate, it's alphabetical by recording artist regardless of genre.

The classical stuff is difficult, because a lot of classical records feature music by more than one composer. so while it's almost alphabetical by composer, not all of it is. Sometimes you just have to know where it is!

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The same. With categories for rock, classical, jazz, folk/world/ethnic, & experimental/avantgarde/ambient. Arranged by artist, chronologically for each artist.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I think the CD is probably the best backup copy you could have. I've ripped all of my cds to a hard drive, but I keep them on hand in case one of my other backups fails.

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  18. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Classical music is stored separately, by alphabetical order (though I never know what to do with those very common CDs with works from different composers, as I don't feel comfortable sorting them out by interpreter). The rest of the CDs are sorted alphabetically by group / singer, and then chronologically. I don't have many vinyl records. Well, I have, but they are mostly from only three different singers / groups (the Beatles, Roy Orbison and Bobby Darin), so those are sorted each in different boxes, by country in alphabetical order, and then chronologically within each country. Books are all over the place in the order I get and read them, and I usually know, more or less, where to look for the one I want to find. At least the room they are in.

drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  19. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    They always said that CDs would fail after a certain number of years, so I always considered the mp3 to be the backup copy. But no CD of mine has given any problem (except for some CD-Rs which I cannot listen to in old hifi systems, though they work OK in newer ones).

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Artist from A to Z, no consideration for genre or era.

drmilktruck and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.