How to get a jangly chimey sound?

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
That sound is what keeps Rickenbacker in business. People have been chasing it for years. I don't know how many times I've heard "It sounds just like a Rickenbacker" - only it never really does. Some come close, but there's always some intangible thing missing.

I dunno, I don't want to say "Get a Ric", because they're expensive and not everybody can swing one, but if you wanna be a purist about it, that's the answer.

Otherwise, there's a bunch of stuff that gets you in the ballpark. The average Gretsch doesn't do a bad job of it, but you'll never get there with that little Frontman 15 thing. Do yourself a big, big favor and get a decent clean sounding amp!

gretschbigsby

Gretschie
Nov 21, 2009
chicago
A telecaster can get you close. I was surprised to learn that some of the great guitar licks that I thought were played on a Ric were actually on a Telecaster-- for example Petty's American Girl, a lot of the Smiths including This Charming Man.

But, yes, it will get you close but not all the way. Much of the Ric sound has to do with the top and sides being carved out of a solid piece of maple, neck through construction and the height of the strings off the body.

This is from their website:

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Ross/Dyna comp style compressor.
… and more. The bright switch turns it into something very similar to that Vox effect McGuinn used for his Byrds tone. My best description would be “a fuzz effect minus the saturation”. It squashes the sound so hard that the bright frequencies literally kills ears.
That’s basically the prince of all jingle jangle effects for how’s been invented by McGuinn.

Captain_Mac

Electromatic
Jun 21, 2022
I chased the jangly sounds for years, until my father in law gifted me this...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1658756291254.jpg
    FB_IMG_1658756291254.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 5

Jim Krause

Electromatic
May 2, 2022
Lawrence, Kansas
Honestly? Get a Rickenbacker. Sorry, I just don't think there's any substitute at all. And yes, I am biased. Because I own a Rick 360/12 and there isn't another guitar that sounds quite like it.

You could try. But depending on how much you have your heart and ears set on attaining that sound I think you'll just end up disappointed.