How to get a good deal on a Rat Rod

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SummertimeBlues, May 11, 2021.

1. SummertimeBlues

SummertimeBlues Electromatic

Apr 17, 2021
    California
    I almost never buy guitars new. I'm looking to get a Rat Rod as my first Gretsch guitar. I've heard stories of people haggling at places like Guitar Center but I've personally never done it. I think the closest I've got was calling them and getting 15% off a keyboard. How can I get the best deal on a Rat Rod? Should I try to negotiate on all platforms like Reverb, eBay, etc.?

2. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    One hint- if you get on GC’s mailing list they will send you 20% off coupons from time to time.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  3. SummertimeBlues

Apr 17, 2021
    California
    I was on it because I had bought a keyboard from them years ago. I noticed they hadn't sent me any coupon codes since 2020. I'll try to get back on their mailing list. I checked their "exclusions and limitations" policy and noticed Gretsch Guitars weren't on it.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  4. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    You might also want to look at the 2410.

azrielle likes this.
  5. Yes to shop around. Reverb let’s you put that guitar in what they call “your feed”. Any that show up for sale pop up there. Comparison shop price, condition, ask lots of questions, then make an offer you feel good about. They will either accept, or raise, or decline. Then you work from there. Also consider used. That way when you go to sell it, if its not your cup of tea after you finally get one, you might not take a hit as its already at used pricing. Even a discounted gretsch thats new will take a hit when you go to resell.

pblanton likes this.
  6. BlueNoise

BlueNoise Gretschie

Oct 30, 2009
    USA
    SummertimeBlues, GC currently has one used RR for sale. Columbus, Ohio store. Hope that helps!

7. SummertimeBlues

Apr 17, 2021
    California
    I just took a look at it. I’m tempted to get it at that price but I’m leaning more towards the matte black finish.

8. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Asking is the hardest part but it can be so rewarding. At GC, check the price tag, play the guitar and make sure you love it, talk to a salesperson and say "I really love this but can only afford (20% below the tag), can you work with me?" Then wait while the talking to the manager stuff happens. Don't feel bad if they turn you down. The calculus has to do with how popular the model is at that location and how long it's been on the wall. I have had success with this technique on two occassions - both for Gretsches.

9. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

May 31, 2018
    Central Florida
    Best price I've seen used and sort of local to me was $600 but it was a longish trip. Most of them seem to be in the 700's. I went ahead and bought mine new from Sweetwater for $720. They are a fairly new release so they do not seem to be a lot for sale used. And you'll probably have to pick up shipping. I am having a going out of business sale locally but the Rat Rod will be one of 2 or maybe 3 that will be kept. It's going nowhere - great guitar and sound stock.

Bite the bullet and buy new. If you don't like it you can always return it.

Robbie likes this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    New price is $800 so I'm surprised that some ask for almost that much used.

I've not done it but have heard that "making an offer" on Reverb can work.

My experience with GC is that if the guitar is on the wall it's not hard to get them to take 10% off for scratches, but hard to get any more than 10.

In 18 months looking I've never seen a used one here on FB or CL and I've been wanting to try one.

11. pblanton

pblanton Newbie

May 12, 2021
    Black Forest, Colorado
    We all like to think that the used price should somehow be some fraction of the new price but it doesn't always work that way. I remember back in about 1988 / 89 when the Mazda Miata came out, they were in such high demand that people who could buy them new, could easily turn around and sell them immediately for 60% to 75% more on the "used" market. The same thing happened with a new model of the Bugatti Veyron about ten years ago. People who had purchased a spot on the waiting list for one, were able to sell their spot on the list for a $150k profit without ever having taken delivery of the car. A friend of mine did that at the time.

I've also seen the opposite happen, for instance with the Gibson Firebird X, which sold so poorly that Gibson eventually had to crush half a million dollars worth of them with an excavator.

because they couldn't give them away. If they'd have offered me one I'd have paid a few hundred for it, but they made off much better financially just crushing them and writing off the loss than they would have if they sold them at a loss or parted them out.

And I only bring up those incidents to say this: If the Rat Rod's popularity holds up like I think it will, you may not EVER see many of them on the used market. And in a year, today's new price may seem like a freakin' bargain. Plus if you buy new, you can always return it.

Try to get your hands on one of those 20% off coupons and go make an offer on one at the Guitar center. A 20% discount is $140 off of a $700 guitar, bringing it down to $560. If it turns out that you don't love it, then you can return it. There are many legitimate reasons to hate GC, but their return policy isn't one of them.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Don't hold your breath for the 20% off GC coupons, they are rare. In the 18 months I've been watching I've only seen that discount once and that was February 2020.

For the last year demand has been high and GC has cut back on their frequent sales. Right now they only have 11 acoustic guitars on sale.

$799.99 - 20% = $640.

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  13. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Gretschie

Apr 29, 2014
    Harrisburg, PA
    I just picked up a used one from Guitar Center for $599. There aren't a lot of used ones out there so the prices stay pretty high usually

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  14. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    2410TG's are selling for 200 less than 5410T's at the moment. I like the matte finish on the neck of my 5410T, not to mention the neck shape, better than the gloss finish and shape of my Streamliner G2655. I don't know if the 2410 would have the same shape as the other Streamliners, or the same as the Rat Rod. All I know is that the Rat Rod's neck is easier to play with my small-ish fingers than the 2655 is.

sgarnett likes this.
  15. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Scour the innertubes for open box, I got my 2622T, ($420), w/ Gretsch case, ($120), & a Bassbreaker 45 combo, ($720), all open box in new condition. $1260 for a pretty sweet rig.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.