How to choose a G6120T?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MichaelRopp, Jul 14, 2021.

1. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Hi, all. I'm a bass player (40+ years) recently switched to guitar, 4-ish years ago, and new to this group. I am being tempted by the G6120T. However, I am finding that there are about eight squintillion variants of the G6120T. This may be an unanswerable question, but does anyone have any guidance on how one chooses a particular flavor of G6120T? Is there any kind of comparison chart that shows how the different variants differ from one another, or anything like that?

2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Michael,

Welcome to the forum, good question you have there, yes there is a heap of variations of the 6120 and the only thing I can think of is for you to head over to the Gretsch Pages and have a look at the 6120 guitar models and have a read to see which one grabs you (link below).

Or otherwise just let us know what you like in a guitar eg. pick ups (single coils like dynas or p90's or filtertrons/humbuckers), did you want a model with modern features like locking tunners or strap locks etc, or if you have any pictures of one you like the look of online post it up and someone here can tell you what model it is.

Hope something there is any help to you lol.

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/6120-models/

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Michael!
    welcome mat 130.jpg

4. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Stefan87: thanks! That web site was very helpful--right along the lines of what I was looking for. Kind of a dizzying array of options.

I'm most interested in humbuckers (I like the FilterTron sound), and I do appreciate modern features like locking tuners but am not hung up on them. It's the tone that I prefer to be "vintage", not anything mechanical. I prefer classic tones, along the lines of early jazz, 50s R&R, country swing, that kind of thing. Fat cleans, bluesy overdrives. I would like a Bigsby. My main guitar right now is an Epiphone Joe Pass and I'm on the neck pickup 3/4 of the time, finger-picking maybe 1/2 of the time. In terms of skill level, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being banging a few open chords and 10 being like Chet Atkins, I'm maybe a 3+ to a 4. (My picking-hand technique is still lousy... got work to do.)

GlenP and Stefan87 like this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    No problem Michael, glad it was helpful.

If you are more interested in the Filtertons then there is a lot of 6120's out there with them, I don;t know of a 6120 that doesn't come with a bigsby so you should be good there, the most Vintage tone in anything modern today would be the TV Jones Ray Butts pick ups but not sure if they come stock in any 6120's yet, TV Jones Classics are great pick ups though and are in a range of 6120's from the factory, as for the tones you mention someone else may have to chime in on that one as that's a bit out of my field.

If you wanted to buy new though from what you said I'd suggest the below, happy hunting and let us know what you pick in the end.
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...het-atkins-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401353822

MichaelRopp likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Welcome Michael.

Check out the "LTV" versions. Great vintage specs, sound, and a very nice feel to them.

The new version is the Vintage Select.

Best of luck hunting.

7. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I would want v, v, t, mv wiring. I even out the neck PU to the bridge, so I can go up and down with the neck volume as well as the master. It's nice to have the extra kick when it is needed. Just for playability, for me wiring would be more important than PUs.

Stefan87 likes this.
  8. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    ALL 6120’s are amazing…
    What can you afford.
    What flavor/tone….pic-up are you looking for.
    What color do you like….
    6120’s are pro line instruments. Pick the correct model and you will not have to change a thing but your strings when you need more twang.
    Budget is the deciding factor…
    If you don’t know what model you want…throw a dart, you will not be disappointed.
    FYI

JC higgy likes this.
  9. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    audept likes this.
  10. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Thanks! WOW, those look fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion.

G5422T likes this.
  11. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    That's interesting that the controls configuration would be more important than the specific pickups. Gretsch seems unique in using the master volume, and I would think that would be a really useful thing to have. I take it from your comment that not all G6120T's are wired v, v, t, mv?

12. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Thanks. Yeah, isn't budget always the deciding factor? :) That's a fair question and I haven't yet decided what I'm willing to spend. Looks like the 6120s range from ~$2500 US to ~$3500 US, which would easily make this the most expensive guitar I've ever owned.

The G6120T-59 Chet Atkins Vintage Select looks seriously awesome. The G6120TG Players Edition Nashville looks pretty sweet, too.

13. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    If it can be a used guitar, a BSHR can be had in the 1500 range. I managed to find on for 1200…
    Luck to ya! 10519214-BC1D-4EF4-A8FD-5C09E4AE4206.jpeg 336935F6-E2A7-491D-9E03-724B19752A05.jpeg

14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Michael, welcome to the forum, good to have you here.
    Good luck in your quest, as you say there are many flavors of 6120's.

I currently have two and am wanting a third when they release the new model players edition with Dynasonic pickups. Currently have Ray Butts and HS Filtertron models.

MichaelRopp likes this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Michael!

Ya can't go wrong with any 6120,i have a thing for them myself.

I'd say for the vintage FilterTron tone and look the Brian Setzer Smoke is the one to have today,well,it's the one i want anyway!;)

MichaelRopp and Stefan87 like this.
  16. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    I was in the same boat as you and was confused by all these different Gretsch guitars with their numbers and letters. I finally made a spread sheet with all guitars I was interested in and their specs, so I could compare them. I ended up with a Brian Setzer 6120, cause it had all I was looking for - except a bar bridge. But I added one later. :)

MichaelRopp and new6659 like this.
  17. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I too am an enthusiast, not an expert. And I don't do wiring. So someone else could explain it better. You will notice the Setzer Hotrods have just the one knob, and the Setzer Nashvilles have a mud switch. There are a few distinctly different wirings.

MichaelRopp likes this.
  18. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    SWEET! That's a nice-looking guitar you have there. Yeah, I'm OK with a used one--Reverb is my friend. :)

19. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    Thanks! Good to be here, and I am getting an education in a real hurry. I appreciate that.

20. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    If you responded to this by making a spreadsheet, I think you and I would get along very well. :)

What is a bar bridge?

KuKuKu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.