How thick is a G5427??

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
GC has a gorgeous (and I mean gorgeous flame top) G5427T on sale for $200 off, a great deal for $700. I have been waiting for a sale on a Rat Rod but one of these will fit the bill.

I like the slightly thinner 5422 body and have had no luck finding out if this 5427 is the thickness of a 5420 or a 5422?? Not on the Gretsch website, it's a GC SE and their specs don't give that dimension.

I was in the store tonight and didn't see one on the wall.

Gretsch Guitars G5427T Electromatic Hollowbody Single-Cut Flame Maple Top with Bigsby Limited Edition Electric Guitar Orange Stain | Guitar Center

TIA and happy holiday!

Last edited:

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Whoa - it has trestle bracing! Also the new FT-5e pickups, and it’s made in Indonesia.

That’s not just a flamed 5410, 5420, or 5422. It’s a different guitar, and the pictures don’t give a good side view. Might be worth taking a “shot in the dark” at that price.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Oops, the specs say Indonesia, but the peghead photo says China.

IF the trestle bracing is accurate, it’s probably 2.5” to 2.75”. At 2.25”, it would probably be post or ML bracing.

That’s IF any of the specs are accurate!

budglo

Electromatic
Feb 26, 2019
Ohio
I was at GC last week and checked one out . It seems like it was a replacement for the 5420 but I could be wrong. Different pickups ,’but the body thickness was the same as a 5420. Laurel fretboard I believe , with block inlays and made in China. Ultimately I went to sweet water as they had Korean made 5420s with rosewood fretboards , even though I had a 15 percent coupon for GC.

CBHScott

Electromatic
Feb 13, 2015
Central OH
GC has a gorgeous (and I mean gorgeous flame top) G5427T on sale for $200 off, a great deal for $700. I have been waiting for a sale on a Rat Rod but one of these will fit the bill.

I like the slightly thinner 5422 body and have had no luck finding out if this 5427 is the thickness of a 5420 or a 5422?? Not on the Gretsch website, it's a GC SE and their specs don't give that dimension.

Gretsch Guitars G5427T Electromatic Hollowbody Single-Cut Flame Maple Top with Bigsby Limited Edition Electric Guitar Orange Stain | Guitar Center

TIA and happy holiday!

This one, too: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsc...ric-Guitar-Midnight-Sapphire-1500000350451.gc

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Home
Interesting, both GC and MF list it with a C shaped neck. That’s a change…

Rockerduck

Gretschie
Jul 26, 2013
Canton, Georgia
The neck on the 5427 is similar to the slim taper C on the Brian Setzer 6120. I don't no what Gretsch guitars models have a slim taper, but 5427 is close to a slim tapered neck.

Gretschram

Feb 18, 2022
Shelton Wa

TIA and happy holiday!
Hi, today I rec'd my new Gretsch G5427TG in Orange Maple Flame top. I measured the depth and it is just a tad under 2.75 inches on the bottom bout. At the waist its closer to 2.5 inches. Its appears thinner then what is is, very comfortable compared to a G5420T that I used to own. The pickups do sound a little brighter than the Black Top Filter Trons. I have only had it a couple of hours so I need to do more testing, But so far I'm extremely happy with what I see and hear.

Gretschram

Feb 18, 2022
Shelton Wa
Not sure how to add or modify a previous post, but in attempting to shed more info about the new G5427T I had my grandsons G5420TG at my house and I did a side by side comparison of both guitars. The new G5427T is 1/8 of an inch smaller in depth at the lower bout and the waist is also smaller at 2.5 inches. The lower bout is also around an 1/8 smaller. I hope this clears up some questions. I would post pics but both are now at the guitar tech for setup.

Latest posts