How Many Here Do Not Own Any Gretsch Guitars?

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Anyone else currently Gretschless or had periods of having sold them all?
Oddly enough, I am. Other than a brief period of about a year, around 1999-2000, it's the first time I've been Gretschless since I was 15 years old. I sold my Country Gent in December 2020 with the plan to order a Custom Shop '55 6120. True to form, I'm hemming and hawing over every minute detail, and more than a year later, still haven't placed the order. Had I gotten on the ball, I'd already have it. As it is, I'll probably be waiting another year for it to be built. And I just bought a new car that I'm going to have to wait six months for. :eek:

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
I ran a motorcycle forum for over a 100,000 of my closest friends…

It was not unusual to have members who no longer rode or owned motorcycles. We welcomed that.

I’m on a Casita travel trailer forum. Casitas are fiberglass, have been produced for about 40 years in the same factory in Texas, can only be purchased directly from them in Rice Texas and there is a big cult type following with a very active forum. Casita owners get together often at big rallies and we get to know each other. Music is even part of it at times. Folks are encouraged to stay on the forum if they move on to other trailers because they have become our friends.
You should combine your hobbies and have a Gretsch Orange Casita!

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Ive bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years and, sadly I no longer have several Gretsches that i thought id never sell, but I will never be Gretschless. Got my first one in 1992 and have considered myself a Gretsch player ever since.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
How Many Here Do Not Own Any Gretsch Guitars?

I bought my first one in 2008, and the number steadily increased since... And even already in 2022 !

That said, I could say this for Fender... :D

A+!

PCollen

Electromatic
Jan 11, 2021
After selling my Gretsch G5655TG in Azure Metallic several months ago, I am Gretschless for the first time in at least 12 years. I do have a Brown Bear Custom Jet, which is a modified version of the DuoJet, but I can't really count this. At the most I believe I had over 20. I've pretty much owned every current model at one point. (not counting color variations) and many of the discontinued ones. I wanted to try everything and figure out what I like. Now I'm more interested in assembling, designing, modding and restoring guitars. (I have tried to buy several Gretsch husks to redo myself, but they're a lot more expensive than other brands.)

My son has a Gretsch Pro Jet, along with a Tele and a Strat....I own only Fenders (4), but really like that Jet my son has. I may be borrowing it...

Last edited:

Andrew Griffin

Synchromatic
Oct 22, 2015
After selling my Gretsch G5655TG in Azure Metallic several months ago, I am Gretschless for the first time in at least 12 years. I do have a Brown Bear Custom Jet, which is a modified version of the DuoJet, but I can't really count this. At the most I believe I had over 20. I've pretty much owned every current model at one point. (not counting color variations) and many of the discontinued ones. I wanted to try everything and figure out what I like. Now I'm more interested in assembling, designing, modding and restoring guitars. (I have tried to buy several Gretsch husks to redo myself, but they're a lot more expensive than other brands.)

I'm the opposite. I credit Gretsch with getting me back into the guitar and past the roadblock that my Takamine had presented. I found the Gretsch resonators to be magically easy to play and now I have a pile of Gretsch- and only Gretsch- guitars. It's time to slow down though, and refine what I actually use and need. I can't have them all even though so many of them look so cool.

Sid Nitzerglobin

Country Gent
Jun 8, 2015
fROMOHIO
I've got 3 I can't see parting w/ unless things get really dire: the caddy green metallic Penguin, the Panther w/ T-Armonds, & the 6119-1962HT Tenny. Still not ready to let go of several of the others either, but I think those 3 will be w/ me for the long haul & cover a good range of Gretsch-ness for me in sounds & feel.

Andrew Griffin

Synchromatic
Oct 22, 2015
Since the quest began i always had one. The blue hot rod the longest. Currently three, that one, a red rancher 5034 and the rancher 12 string white bling. Who knows what they will cone up with to create the gas. But i am sure they will.
I have the red rancher and it's probably my favorite guitar. And I just got the white 12 string. The 12 string sounds wonderful tone wise, but it's taking some adaptation to learn to play. I'm learning that a 12 string is really a different instrument than an augmented 6 string, and I like that, but there's a learning curve. For the moment I'm working on listening to the different tunings to see what works best- drop d and open d work well, and I have the whole guitar tuned down a step.

coyotezed

Electromatic
Oct 25, 2021
Ann Arbor, Mi
Ever since getting my G5622 and finally breaking in the speakers on my boss speaker cabinet that's powered by the boss mkII head I couldn't imagine getting rid of my setup. I can definitely see adding to it but really loving the sounds of everything so far

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Somehow I managed to keep my 6119.
I would be very sad if I would not have kept that one. It is such a beautiful and great playing instrument.
And it is the last archtop left in my stable. Hey, everyone needs to have a nice archtop!

All those great vintage Gretsch guitars that I had are gone, sadly. I remember owning 7 Gretsch guitars at one point of time and at least a dozen more went through my hands over the last 30 years.

If I had the money I fear that I would start to hoard them again.