How many guitars do you own?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Jul 29, 2020.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Bob!
    welcome mat 121.jpg

2. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, crcarner !
    welcome mat 117.jpg

3. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, multom!
    Dutch welcome mat 2.jpg

4. Tater

Tater Electromatic

Jan 1, 2017
    Port Kent
    1. 22
    2. 22
    3. 45 lifetime

Merc likes this.
  5. junglejem

junglejem Electromatic

Jan 7, 2012
    California
    Timely topic...I have fantasized about owning one instrument that I play all the time, know inside and out, and love dearly. But I can't even decide if I would chose to play bass, mandolin or guitar. I currently have 5...White Falcon, Rickenbacker 360 WB/12, '77 Fender P Bass, Martin 000-28 and Collings MT Gloss Top Mandolin, all left handed. I will never part with the Ric 12, so I guess my actual goal would be 2 instruments. But I don't want to quit playing mandolin, and I'm a better bass player than anything else. And why would I part with a gorgeous lefty White Falcon? The Martin could be in jeopardy, but I can see it now...I would later decide I really need to have an acoustic. So it looks like 5, but without a doubt, a one-in-one out policy going forward.

Merc and new6659 like this.
  6. kpnash

kpnash Electromatic

Jul 31, 2020
    Germany, Karlsruhe Area
    12/12... yeah needs to sell something... why on earth do I need two Strats, for example? :)

Merc likes this.
  7. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Electromatic

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    1. About 35
    2. About 35

I have about 35 guitars, electrics and acoustics, nylon and steel strings, 6-strings and 12-strings, including three Gretschs, and I would not want to part with any of them. I once sold a Vega banjo back in 1970 because I needed money. I regretted that and I will never sell another instrument. When I buy an instrument, I love it and it becomes a part of my life, like a painting or a sculpture. To me, guitars are not like a fine wine that is meant to drink and then throw away the bottle, to me guitars are for keeping and playing, for the joy each brings to me, each in its own special way.

I also have two bass guitars, three banjos, three ukuleles and two mandolins. Oh yeah, and then there is the old electronic keyboard, two tambourines, a cajon drum and a Chinese erhu. I don't count my wife's father's old violin that is unplayable due to damage sixty years ago, but maybe I should, and maybe I should make it playable again, or hang it on the wall. Besides all those wonderful instruments, I believe I still have a set of castanets and maracas somewhere in my attic. Olé!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. Tater

Tater Electromatic

Jan 1, 2017
    Port Kent
    That is one BADASS 335!!o_O

slickfaster likes this.
  9. Chubbylab

Chubbylab Newbie

Jun 5, 2020
    Gaastra mi
    47,and it was too many,but fun. I have 16 now,including last acoustic gretsch built in US(non custom shop)

Merc likes this.
  10. rocko

rocko Electromatic

35 at one time but I've since received treatment and in recovery. I'm down to 8 of which 5 are Gretsch. The treatment has been hell but at least it freed up some money to feed other addictions (eg: beer)

Merc likes this.
  11. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

Presently, I own 11 guitars - the most I've ever owned. Some of them (Gretsch 6196T Country Club) are of far better quality than someone with my limited ability deserves to own. I just like guitars! Beside the Gretsch, I have 3 Teles (one is a 12 string), 5 acoustic electrics including a 12 string, an old arch top, and a resonator, a Jazzmaster, and an Epi Les Paul Custom. I also have a lap steel and a 6 string banjo. Now, I just need to learn to play...

Merc likes this.
  12. mpetros

mpetros Newbie

Feb 15, 2018
    Emmett, ID
    1. Thirteen
    2. Twelve, attempting to pare down to a core of 8. Well, make that 9 when I sell 4 of the current harem and buy a Tele.

Merc likes this.
  13. Blacksmith

Blacksmith Newbie

Jul 9, 2018
    California
    I am almost ashamed ... 65....ummm 11 that are Gretsch, unless you count a double neck as two then I have 12 that are Gretsch.

14. petem1966

petem1966 Newbie

Dec 7, 2017
    Katy TX
    1. 10
    1. 10, including a 5422TG in walnut. Also soon to be 11, as I'm waiting on the delivery of a trans-blue Godin LGX-SA next week.

Edited to mention I'm just a hobbyist songwriter type. Mainly family members and cats hear me play.

15. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    1. 4 (2 Squier Strats, 1 Epiphone LP, 1 Applause by Ovation)
    2. 4 (same one's)

Once I bought the guitars, moved onto amps for each at the time to try to find what I felt matched well with each guitar.The Pyle was basically a blind purchase for the LP. Didn't like it's sound and have come to realize being open back it plays better with an acoustic electric. Also why I modded it to work with other amp heads, so that the speaker could get more electric guitar play.

1. 4 (Solid State amps, Pyle PVAMP60 combo *, Fender Mustang I V2 combo, VHT Redline Micro 6 pedal amp head, Tube Amp Pulse PM15H, matching head & PM112 cab)
    2. 4 (same one's)

* Pyle is modified to be used as a cab with the amp heads or as a combo.

Pedals, very basic, Noise Gate, VHT V-Four OD/Distortion/Metal/Redline (Djent Metal) modes for a pre-amp section. Behringer V-Amp 3 for amp & cab models with all the effects. If the Micro 6 & Behringer V-Amp 3 (more like a desktop console) are considered pedals, then:

1. 4
    2. 4

None of them are considered iconic collectibles, but they sound decent enough to enjoy. 4 seems to be my magic number though for what I'm willing to chase. I do think at some point I'll want a 2x10 or 2x12, but there's no way I'm chasing the 4x10 or 4x12 credenza.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Merc likes this.
  16. Bugleboy

Bugleboy Electromatic

Apr 26, 2020
    Phoenix
    I have 8 guitars but SO FAR none are a Gretsch. I hope that will change soon. My bTwangy Guitar has got me on the hunt.

Merc likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I see "Google translation" is still atrocious. Welcome to Gretschville though. :)

18. eluther3

eluther3 Newbie

Mar 27, 2017
    tx
    Most at one time is probably 7 if you count the bass guitars. Down to four now. I love to buy guitars but now I have a rule that if I buy one I have to sell one.

Merc likes this.
  19. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    10 altogether.
    4 acoustics
    5 electric
    1 bass

Merc likes this.
  20. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Currently I have 10.
    2-6120
    1-falcon
    1-5125
    1-5128
    1-2420
    3-acoustics
    1-bass
    Most I had was 30

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.