How Many Filter'Tron Clones Are Out There?

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Gretsch
Fender
TV Jones
Seymour Duncan Custom shop
Lollar
Fralin
Curtis Novak
Fletcher
The Creamery
Mojo pickups
Mojotone
D’Allen
Allparts
Tom Holmes
Alnicotron
David Barfuss
Eyguitar
Roswell(WSC/Partsland)
Catswhiskers
Gabojo
Porter
De Lisle
WGS
McNelly
MJS
Alameda guitars
SoloDallas(by Steffsen)
Guitar Fetish(GFS)
Dylan
Rio Grande
Scheffer
House of Tone
Radioshop
Sunbear
JBE(Joe Barden)
Tesla

There’s more but I’m not gonna include every cowboywinder who’s gonna disappear after a couple of months.

Hey Ric,

Being in the market the odd time, I venture no further afield than TVJ.

For me, it's a name you can trust, and that's what's most important!

You can drive yourself crazy, looking for that illusive twang/thump/ring.

In the attached photo, I'm about to swap out a Setzer Sig/Hot Rod harness, for a Classic Plus Satin, and a Tone Pot Harness. I wanted tone selection and master volume. I decided, the Setzer Sig was not right for this build.

In the photo before the changeover, the master volume and tone pots are dummies.

The new switch over is much better.

All parts are TVJ, I will buy nowhere else!

Best,

BIB

DSCF1306.JPG

Last edited:

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Hey Ric,

Being in the market the odd time, I venture no further afield than TVJ.

For me, it's a name you can trust, and that's what's most important!

You can drive yourself crazy, looking for that illusive twang/thump/ring.

In the attached photo, I'm about to swap out a Setzer Sig/Hot Rod harness, for a Classic Plus Satin, and a Tone Pot Harness. I wanted tone selection and master volume. I decided, the Setzer Sig was not right for this build.

In the photo before the changeover, the master volume and tone pots are dummies.

The new switch over is much better.

All parts are TVJ, I will buy nowhere else!

Best,

BIB

View attachment 191351

My favorite guitar has just the single pickup in the bridge with a master volume and mud switch. Somewhere I read Tom saying the Classic Plus is the best pup for that set up. Works for me!

6stings

Friend of Fred
Aug 14, 2010
Norway
I woke up 3 am, read your tread, wrote something, slept again and dreamed how I'm polishing my TV Jones Classic pickups...
How weird is that?

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
Clones? Even Gretsch Filter’Trons are clones of the original Gretsch Filter’Trons and Gretsch makes more different varieties than I can keep straight in my mind. To me, there’s what came in your guitar and all the different TV Jones clones of clones. Everything else is redundant. There’s TVJ, great but expensive, Gretsch, inexpensive and pretty dang good, and cheap imitations. I don’t see the point to questionable but still expensive.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Clones? Even Gretsch Filter’Trons are clones of the original Gretsch Filter’Trons and Gretsch makes more different varieties than I can keep straight in my mind. To me, there’s what came in your guitar and all the different TV Jones clones of clones. Everything else is redundant. There’s TVJ, great but expensive, Gretsch, inexpensive and pretty dang good, and cheap imitations. I don’t see the point to questionable but still expensive.

I agree with you, beyond the Gretsch originals and TV Jones variations, what's there to offer, to get That Great Gretsch Sound? I assume partly it's about price and partly about trying to attract more players to the Filter' sound.

OTOH the Duo Jet is Gretsch's response to the Les Paul, and the double cut models of the early 60s are a similar response to Gibson's move towards those. Everybody steals from everybody else. Sadly in the end the great electric guitar experiment, which started with such rebellious ideas, ended in extreme conservatism.

6stings

Friend of Fred
Aug 14, 2010
Norway
But, what a hell is BT65A Broad'Tron? It's as wide as Gibson humbucker. Haven't heard one yet, but can't imagine it can sound like narrow-magnets Filter'Tron or TV's. Am I wrong?

DD868C0A-CE6C-4D00-88A6-8BB910076B23.jpeg 1A35CE99-5B98-4C65-9545-0FC5CD2E2129.jpeg

Latest posts