How good of a deal is this (two new, but old stock, Setzers)?

71shooter

Electromatic
May 30, 2022
Usa
A local music shop has a Blonde Setzer Hot Rod and a Setzer Nashville (both new old stock) that they will sell me for $1900 a piece. The story is that they have had them hanging on display for a few years and the necks started to pull away and were professionally repaired. They both look new, and I can’t tell that any repair was done. Not sure I can convince the wife to let me buy one anyway, but I thought I’d ask y’all’s opinion. I really want the Nashville, as it is just lovely, with the orange flame maple and all the control knobs (and dice). The blonde hot rod has flame figure, but in plain finish. It sounds great, but does not inspire me. Are the neck repairs an issue to be concerned about? Thanks

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
A local music shop has a Blonde Setzer Hot Rod and a Setzer Nashville (both new old stock) that they will sell me for $1900 a piece. The story is that they have had them hanging on display for a few years and the necks started to pull away and were professionally repaired. They both look new, and I can’t tell that any repair was done. Not sure I can convince the wife to let me buy one anyway, but I thought I’d ask y’all’s opinion. I really want the Nashville, as it is just lovely, with the orange flame maple and all the control knobs (and dice). The blonde hot rod has flame figure, but in plain finish. It sounds great, but does not inspire me. Are the neck repairs an issue to be concerned about? Thanks
shooter,

I was just conversing with one of our member's on another thread about ''professional'' repairs.

Personally, I would like to know exactly what was wrong with the necks, and exactly how they were ''professionally'' repaired.

Some shops are very careless with their shop humidity, and some, foolishly put expensive guitars in store windows, where temperatures can drastically go up and down like a roller coaster.

Ask all the questions, take someone who is knowledgeable with you if you are not sure what to ask.

Trust no one, they're not your friends. If you have any doubts...walk.

Be careful!

BIB

71shooter

Electromatic
May 30, 2022
Usa
shooter,

I was just conversing with one of our member's on another thread about ''professional'' repairs.

Personally, I would like to know exactly what was wrong with the necks, and exactly how they were ''professionally'' repaired.

Some shops are very careless with their shop humidity, and some, foolishly put expensive guitars in store windows, where temperatures can drastically go up and down like a roller coaster.

Ask all the questions, take someone who is knowledgeable with you if you are not sure what to ask.

Trust no one, they're not your friends. If you have any doubts...walk.

Be careful!

BIB
I was told the issue was strictly with the glue failing, and the necks starting to pull away on both guitars. I did not ask in depth questions about the repairs, as I don’t have deep knowledge about guitar repair. They did say the repair was done professionally “in house”. This shop also sells brass, string, and woodwind band equipment to local schools. I believe they repair such instruments as well, but I can’t comment on their quality of work. I am a novice guitarist (if one can even call me that), but if they had not told me that the two guitars had previously been repaired, I certainly would not have known. The necks seem straight, and there appear to be no cracks, or other visible damage to my novice eye. I may stop back by and ask more questions. If you or others have some informed opinions about what to ask, I’d be happy to pose those questions. More than likely, my wife will be opposed to me buying one of these gems, as I am a beginner, and it was a hard sell to get her to let me buy my Sweetwater G5420-59 last month. At this point my money would probably be better spent on a good stool, and lessons. I’m telling myself that practicing with a “real” 6120 will make me more confident that I can more easily hone in on my own playing problems, rather than feel that something might be amiss with the guitar. However, I have read so many good things about the Korean made Electromatics, that I think I made the right choice for a beginner Gretsch hollow body. I should probably wait until I can competently play a few licks before I financially jump farther down the rabbit hole. It just seems like these two guitars might be a steal of a deal, and I’m just easily tempted!

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
I was told the issue was strictly with the glue failing, and the necks starting to pull away on both guitars. I did not ask in depth questions about the repairs, as I don’t have deep knowledge about guitar repair. They did say the repair was done professionally “in house”. This shop also sells brass, string, and woodwind band equipment to local schools. I believe they repair such instruments as well, but I can’t comment on their quality of work. I am a novice guitarist (if one can even call me that), but if they had not told me that the two guitars had previously been repaired, I certainly would not have known. The necks seem straight, and there appear to be no cracks, or other visible damage to my novice eye. I may stop back by and ask more questions. If you or others have some informed opinions about what to ask, I’d be happy to pose those questions. More than likely, my wife will be opposed to me buying one of these gems, as I am a beginner, and it was a hard sell to get her to let me buy my Sweetwater G5420-59 last month. At this point my money would probably be better spent on a good stool, and lessons. I’m telling myself that practicing with a “real” 6120 will make me more confident that I can more easily hone in on my own playing problems, rather than feel that something might be amiss with the guitar. However, I have read so many good things about the Korean made Electromatics, that I think I made the right choice for a beginner Gretsch hollow body. I should probably wait until I can competently play a few licks before I financially jump farther down the rabbit hole. It just seems like these two guitars might be a steal of a deal, and I’m just easily tempted!
@71shooter , you answered your own question. We’re all Gretsch fans here, but what if you decide you need something different as you get better and develop a personal style? Lessons take a little money at a time. Learn technique from a good instructor. That’s more important than learning how to play a rock anthem. Are there adult education music classes where you live? Are group lessons offered? You can also take a music theory course and learn about scales, chords, harmony, melody, and rhythm. Self taught over a solid core of knowledge of music is one thing. Self taught from scratch is something else.

There are folks here with Gretsch collections. Others have one or two each of a few different types. You’ll know better what makes sense for you after you’ve been playing a while. You’re not starting out with a toy guitar. A Korean made Gretsch is a serious musical instrument. Learn to play it and have fun.

twangmanster

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2021
Long Island
Yes, the prices are good, but "in house?" Eh, after taxes and all. If you were to buy it then a few months down, after a humid summer maybe, things could start to warp and bend, who knows. I been playing guitars since the late '70's and while Ive never hung them I've also never known a glue problem. There's places now where you can finance good guitars for a year more or less. Sometimes things are to good to be true.

71shooter

Electromatic
May 30, 2022
Usa
I’d pass. I’ve seen them listed on Craigslist and this forum not far off those prices without the issues. Wait and get a good one, most the Gretschs I’ve seen listed are immaculate. Good luck.
I’m thinking you, and others with similar views, are correct. There is a nice one currently listed in Gretsch-Talk classifieds that I would lean toward if I was very seriously looking. I asked my wife about it again, and she just rolled her eyes and walked away. We all know what that translates too, and rightly so, really. I need to learn to play my Electromatic before I fork out the cash for a top of the line axe. Thanks

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
I’m thinking you, and others with similar views, are correct. There is a nice one currently listed in Gretsch-Talk classifieds that I would lean toward if I was very seriously looking. I asked my wife about it again, and she just rolled her eyes and walked away. We all know what that translates too, and rightly so, really. I need to learn to play my Electromatic before I fork out the cash for a top of the line axe. Thanks
Now I didn’t say don’t get a Setzer Nashville, I’m just saying wait and get a great one with no issues. I love my 6120 and you will too..
FC56A5D4-1D5B-496D-8BAD-7A3333D4CC76.jpeg

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Your Electro is a good guitar. I have one myself, a 5427. It’s amazing. Prolines are fantastic, but I’d concentrate on improving your playing since you already have a good guitar. As time and finance allow, revisit the idea!

71shooter

Electromatic
May 30, 2022
Usa
Your Electro is a good guitar. I have one myself, a 5427. It’s amazing. Prolines are fantastic, but I’d concentrate on improving your playing since you already have a good guitar. As time and finance allow, revisit the idea!
I almost bought the dark blue (midnight sapphire, I think it’s properly called) g5427tg at my local guitar center instead of my Sweetwater 59. It is gorgeous! I just decided that since I’m a Setzer fan, I’d get the Sweetwater 59, since it looks similar to his main original ‘59 guitars. Mine has the sound post. Yours has the trestle bracing, which I find very appealing for gnarly distorted sounds. I’m most interested in more traditional bass thumping rockabilly, but onece I learn to play, I will want to expand my tonal abilities, I’m sure.