How do you remove gold plating?

Seamus

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Got a DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100 for my archtop. I tried to get a beat-up one that was at least duller, but what arrived is shiny-bright gold, which really doesn't match this guitar. I'm thinking a dremel with a wire brush might be the ticket, but this place is always full of good advice. Any tricks to turn this gold to silver? If the recessed parts remain gold, that's cool. Just hoping to get the main casing.

20220911_115906.jpg

Falconetti

Synchromatic
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
If it is plated the finish will dull and flake if you just look at it hard enough. Don’t use the Dremmel. It will scratch it too brutally. A decent grit containing metal polish will do it a lot more controllably. If you just want to dull it try treating with a weak acid.

Obv don’t do any of this when it is on the guitar….oops….too late !!

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Sheesh, I was getting worried when I read the heavy duty tool advice. Metal polish like brasso.is so quick it's scary. I can imagine someone thinking
hey, I'll give this gold pickup a quick tidy up.....then find the gold finish was outta here

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Looks great by the way. I left a haze of gold on my vistatone pickups for a nice old vibe

Seamus

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Looks great by the way. I left a haze of gold on my vistatone pickups for a nice old vibe

Thanks! I really like the look of it -- it seems far more vintage now, and this is definitely a vintage guitar, so it matches the vibe. This thing has gold tuners, but a chrome tailpiece. So now there's both in the pickup. (It's not installed -- was just checking the fit! This is gonna get Schatten thumbwheels under the pickguard, and will mount with a rod on the side of the neck.)

20220911_154759.jpg

Latest posts